1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays How bad is Dell U2311H for gaming really?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMU_Matt, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

I noticed very little difference (besides a little smoothness, though it was soon forgotten) when I moved from a 2233RZ at 120Hz to a U2311H, and the colour quality improvment was more than worth it on its own. I couldn't see any ghosting, though there are those who go so far as to say that they can only manage a 2:1 KD ratio in FPS games if they have a 120Hz panel vs anything else. BS in my opinion, but whatever floats one's boat...

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

no for the input lag, but close, and yes if I read between the lines. I mean yes you are correct, you speak of a different lag, with with other things that can or does lag (example: monitor)
    +rep for being soooooo super close.

So to be clear, the actual input lag is the delay that between the image that is between the end of the video plug (wtv it is: VGA, DVI, HDMi, Display Port, component, composite, etc.) and the output that appears on the display.
    Essentially, the time it takes for the monitor to process the image and output it. Hence, why monitors with an enabled color processor increase input lag, as it adds another layer of processing of the signal.

But VISUALLY, like what you see at the end of the day azrael is correct, as the lag between your mouse and end of the monitor video plug is insignificant.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

That's exactly what I meant. What is commonly known as input lag is the time it actually takes to process the image. Probably named so, because it (like I stated) introduces a delay between moving e.g. your mouse and seeing the result on-screen. :)

(Oh, and thanks for the rep, by the way, which, although not at all necessary is appreciated nonetheless... :))

4. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I actually have both the 2311 and the 2711 and both function fine for gaming. I haven't had any ghosting issues.

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

:duh:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i want to work there!

7. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

I lol'd :D

I setup my new U2311 last night - played a bit of CSS and can honestly say whatever ghosting there is is minimal at worst. I too moved from a 120hz screen (Benq XL2410) and to be honest like many say on these forums - absolutely no regrets.

I too had my doubts but they pretty quickly dissipated once it was fired up.

Edit: And Matt... Rift looks stunning on it, even after a few beers :D See you on there later no doubt!

8. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

i want to buy one but keep getting put off/scared by reports that if u get a duff monitor dell will only give u a "refurbished" replacement

9. Marvin-HHGTTG

Not if it's still within DSR. I mean sure, the warrenty replacement might be a refurb later down the line, but they don't have to replace with a new one, and the refurb will still have the same warrenty anyway. It's not like they'll be horrendous examples of monitors, they'll work fine, and in fact, due to the 'service' they've had, they might even last longer than your original monitor would've. The other thing to bear in mind is the monitor's longevity - they are well built to last.

10. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

hmmmm guess that cant be so bad then. my second question would be, should i buy a refurbished one straight off ebay for £160 (with next day delivery and 3 year warranty) or a brand new at £200. 3+ weeks delivery waiting time from dell is slightly a turn off though lol

11. Marvin-HHGTTG

Dell. I'm sure you can wait a bit though.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

13. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

15. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Ah sorry, I didn't realise having not read through the thread thoroughly. Here's the post about it:

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I think the free delivery part of the offer has expired though, still a great bargain.

17. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

yeah it works out basically at £198 and with quidco £188.

18. Marvin-HHGTTG

Can't argue with that for such a good monitor.

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Agreed, still a bargain.

20. DownyTif

DownyTif What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

first post on these forums. I'm currently shopping for a monitor and after a lot a research, the U2311H really got my interest, mainly because of the 100$ + free shipping rebate at the moment (Dell.ca).

I use my computer for gaming in priority, then common things (web, some coding, picture editing as an amateur photograph, etc.). I play all types of games, including FPS, but I'm not what they call an hardcore gamer.

My computer at the moment is a laptop, the Asus G51Jx-A1. I want an external display. The thing that got my eye on the U2311H was the response time of 8ms GtG, but after reading this thread and others + reviews, I don't think ghosting will affect me.

I was curious though to compare the U2311H to my actual laptop display. I can't find any information on the response time and lag input of my laptop display, so I was wondering what is the standard for laptops? Cause if it's worst than the U2311H and I don't see any ghosting or lag, I will be definitely convinced that the U2311H will be a delight for me.

Thanks in advance.