1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 3GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Mar 2011.

1. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

2. ModaRobby

ModaRobby What's a Dremel?

Someone wanna tell me about the triple dvi ports? Or am I hallucinating?

3. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

It's for triple monitors.

4. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I don't understand what everyone is bitching about... Two cards are expensive, are from different companies and have different looks and drivers but both perform very well.

Just buy whichever one you like the most, install it in your PC, start up a game and shut the hell up.

Nobody should care about such trivial bullcrap.

The 590 is a good card
    The 580 is a good card
    The 570 is a good card
    The 560 is a good card
    The 6950 is a good card
    The 6970 is a good card
    The 6990 is a good card

Buy the one that fits in your budget and that you like the most, END OF STORY

5. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

Musn't... continue... argument... just... because... I... think... someone... is... wrong.

If I had this much money to spend on a graphics card (which I don't), I'd go for the 590 as it would appear to be quite a bit quieter (instead of posting links, I trust that people will be able to find stuff out about this on their own) and offer slightly worse/similar/better (get a dice, 1 or 2 and it's slower, 3 or 4 and it's similar, 5 or 6 and it's faster) than a 6990.

Of course, this is all hypothetical, as I don't have that much money to spend on a graphics card.

Not that anyone wants to know, but someone may try to start an argument over it, I prefer how the 590 looks over the 6990. Just saying

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I got as far as "This" and gave up.

Thanks for the fan mail, I've always wanted a stalker. I'll send you a signed shirt!

7. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Really? I remember us being extremely harsh on the GeForce 480 and GTX 470 and recommending Radeon HD 5000-series cards for a lot of last year.

Also, I'm not entirely sure Nvidia would want our collective thumb to be where you say, even if it was paying us (which it most certainly does not) :S

8. Xir

Xir Modder

I think they're too close (especially in the high resolutions they're made for).
    Someone may be "leading this generation" (by a tiny margin), but noone is "dominating this Generation"

That said, I dislike dual-chip cards, and the 580 is leading this generation of single chip cards.

Personally (and that means just me) :D it's a close choise between the GTX570 and the 6970...and I haven't decided yet.

9. Harlequin_uk

Harlequin_uk Banned

10. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Intel Core i7-965 processor (3.2GHz: 133MHz x 24) = CPU limitation, no point getting this or the 6990 with anything less than a 4GHz 970 or 4.5GHz i7 26/2500K

11. azim

azim What's a Dremel?

Go to both of reviews, 6990 and 590. Ofcourse AMD wouldn't be happy with these reviews.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 1,680 x 1,050 , nvidia 590 review came after 6990 review, and amd is clearly ahead, but is not listed in the 590 review.
    and then there two games that bit-tech did not compare with the 2 cards.
    Arma 2 and Just Cause 2. So they are just comparing 3 games only.

In Black Ops AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB is worse than 5850. T
    hats interesting too. + the fps for AMD's card in 2 reviews is totally different.

And I don't have the slightest idea why they are testing cards on Dirt 2.
    Because it's just not for radeon. It's like comparing which will be the best nvidia card, there is no competition with amd on that game.

12. Harlequin_uk

Harlequin_uk Banned

Actually if you compare directly with 2 x6850`s in CF or 460`s in sli, then this and the 6990 are pointless...

13. Timorous

Timorous What's a Dremel?

It seems the 267.91 drivers are going to be downclocking the card to 552mhz when gaming if it starts to pull too much power. This is another reason you should test with demanding games, Black Ops is going to run quick no matter what but a game like Metro 2033 will cause the card to pull more power and it will enable you to test if this scenario is true and second if it does occur then you can see the performance differential between older drivers where the card is not downclocking.

In my mind the 6990 is a better product, it is faster in demanding games, especially Dragon Age 2. It does not die from mild overclocking, it has not needed emergency driver releases to try and curb the death rate. The only downside is that it is noisy but if that is what it takes to keep the card cool and reliable I would take that over a silent burnt out 590.

14. Cyberpower-UK

It's for 3D Vision surround, the GTX590 supports it out of the box with no need for silly DP converters, on the other hand, the 6990 can do 3D across an array of 5 screens (but some need to be DP or use (£30-70) adapters) and is better suited to mental resolutions due to 2GB screen buffer vs 1.5GB on the 590.

15. Cyberpower-UK

Damn right it's noisy and don't bother with CrossfireX 6990 unless you can leave a gap, I tried, it didn't work, but hey, at least they reset the machine rather than going bang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKz86yupV44

16. chris66

chris66 Minimodder

If I’d have known before buying a 5 series GPU about the problems with them (which I have researched since one of my 580’s failed to work with my UD7 mobo, and only works, if at all in other mobos at 8x speed), I would not have bought them. (the affected card was bought in January – I still haven’t had it back yet!)
    There is an issue with some of these GPU’s – and I am not in the least bit surprised that some of the 590’s are being ‘fried’
    If I were to order today, I would not hesitate to get the new ATI GPU. And I have always preferred NVidia over ATI – there is just something not quite right with some batches of the high end cards – buying one is too much of a gamble, IMOHO of course.

17. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

I'm still trying to source a Asus GTX 590 as i didn't have the funds available until monday i was late to the order party and stocks are pretty scarce now. I was told mine was going to be shipped today as a few cards had arrived in only to have an email at 18:00 to say.. Actually we won't be shipping yours and there's no due date for further stock.

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'm not sure a single 400 series card got recommended until the GTX460, and even then it was only recommended in its own price range.

Last month saw decent AMD representation with a mention in the Affordable All Rounder, a recommendation in the Enthusiast Overclocker, and a mention in the Premium Player. Next month will likely only see the GTX590 being added to the Premium Player mention along with the 6990.

I tend to favor AMD in matters of equal performance, but have to concede that they get pretty fair and objective representation here, at least according to your own results.

19. zulu9812

zulu9812 What's a Dremel?

Does anyone else think that since this is a multi-gpu card it should have been compared against other multiple-gpu setups? I think that most people were already expecting this card to smoke all other single-card competition and understood the potential driver issues with multiple gpu's. I think that a better real-world test is to see how the 590 does against 2x 560Ti, or 2x 570.

20. Cyberpower-UK

Absolutely and dual GPU setups have historically been held back more by CPU limitations than single cards so testing with a 3.2GHz 965 isn't going to show these card in as good a light as possible. Guru3D's SLi GTX590 review shows a better approach to testing monster cards like these.

Tags: Add Tags