1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Just pulled the trigger

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 29 Mar 2011.

1. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

So I just hit the checkout button on Newegg for a Define R3 (titanium grey) and an MSI Twin Frozr II GTX560ti. I plan on selling my current GTX 460 1GB on ebay for $145-$150. That will make up some of the cost.

I'm really looking forward to getting it all set up! Why am I telling you all this?

Cause I'll need some support when the GF finds out! :worried:

This is all part of a planned build over the next several months.

My next purchase will be a Corsair HX 750, then a good SLI ready 1156 mobo and another MSI 560 down the road. I'm really not convinced I should bother going the H67 route. I know it's way way faster, but not so much in gaming, which is my primary goal. If anything I'll probably wait for Ivy Bridge. Thoughts?

2. Deders

Deders Modder

If you can wait then I've bridge should give you more flexibility, if you can't and the difference between a 1156 setup and a 1155 isn't much, and you can get an SLI MB I'd probably go with the 1155, but only with a P67 (and k series chip) board, not H67, you'll be able to overclock a P55 to be faster than a H67, A P67 with a K series chip on the other hand will overclock to be faster than most things

3. Neogumbercules

Ah yes, p67. That's what I meant :p

4. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Unless you already have the CPU and it's LGA1156 I'd say go for P67 just so you don't feel out of date as soon. LGA 1156 is still a perfectly good platform (heck even LGA 775 is still good o_O) but if you're buying everything new, I generally advise to get the newest generation if it can be afforded for the most future potential.

You can explain it to your GF by buying something for her so she feels like you thought about her feelings and you're not just being selfish.

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

from what i've read most sandy bridge boards should be able to accept ivy bridge bridge cpu's when there released, although obviously that will vary from board to board, manufacture to manufacture etc

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

How do you like that CM cooler? I'm thinking about getting one, seems like a nice value.

7. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

1155 has excellent performance, however if your only using it for gaming you might aswell stick will 1156 as you won't see much performance increase in games.

8. Neogumbercules

the 212+ is a great cooler with a great value. Idle temps on my 3.4ghz I5-750 are in the mid 30s. Under a prime 95 stress test it gets into the mid to high 50s. It would probably break 60c if I left it on long enough. This is on a pretty crappy case. Not a bad value for 30 bucks.

Oh and thanks for the advice people. I'll probably hold off to see how much of an improvement Ivy Bridge is. If it isn't leaps and bounds (I've read 20% over Sandy Bridge) I'll just wait for LGA2011.

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I've just stuck a 212+ on my lads 550BE and its working lovely, quiet and keeping things nice and cool.

Fairly indepth procedure to install it I found compared to others I have fitted (Scythe Mugen 2 on my pc, Titan Fenrir on my wifes and a AC freezer 64 on my daughters)

10. Squirrel-666

Squirrel-666 What's a Dremel?

If you wanna stick with 1156 mate id highly recommend the MSI P55 GD80 mobo SLI and XFIRE ready althought it does drop from x16 to x8 x8 wen using to cards but apart from that its an awsome board i love it.voltage readout points if needed,easy touch button 2,OC genie button etc loads of gadgets or you could go for the EVGA p55 Cheesecake or the Cheesecake 200 both black PCB boards aswell

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

i'll say this, if you can get $150 for a used gtx 460...even the 1 gb, you are a magician...been watching those and you have some sitting there for days at $120-$140 with no nibbles...regardless, like the looks of that case...may get one myself if i can...afford it...