1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox 4 downloaded 24 million times in three days

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 25 Mar 2011.

1. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I love it :)

The wasted screen real estate was really beginning to get to me, but with the new interface I feel like I've just upgraded to a bigger monitor. I also like the tab groups and pinned tabs. My only gripe is that I had two windows open when I set up my groups and pins and I closed them in the wrong order, thus losing all the changes :(.
    Now I'm too busy with my iPad to set them up again.

2. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

Like the overall UI now, old FF versions for me looked a bit, well, childish,lol, its only me though, we have diff tastes. id be honest though, im still on chrome even though I downloaded FF. IE/Chrome most of the times.

3. ObeyTheCreed

ObeyTheCreed What's a Dremel?

FF is freaking epic, smoother, has more customizable options, and it just looks better than explorer, i'm using FF4 right now :D

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

FF4 is good, and still my first choice of browser.
    However IE has closed the gap to nothing. In my opinion they are both as fast as eachother. IE infact starts up slightly faster on windows7 64bit and it seems it loads pages a little more smoothly. I use IE at work and FF at home because I am use to my FF addons. If it wasnt for the addons then I would probably use IE9

5. Pooeypants

Pooeypants What's a Dremel?

I moved from Firefox to Chrome about a year ago due to inconsistent but regular memory leaks from flash items etc. Just trying out 4.0 now and it "feels" nice but I'm so used to Chrome's simplicity. Hmm.

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

just going to be adding one more to the download count (on version 3 with IE totally removed from my windows 7 enterprise install)..

7. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I like the new FF4, the layout, the everything. Just feels right!
    Chrome for me just feels and looks wrong and from working in suport haven't come across a browser which cause more headaches then Chrome.
    I've very impressed with what M$ has done with IE9, it definately is a competitor and my 2nd choice to FF4 but just the feel, the look, and now the app tabs and tab groups I'm addicted to I can't see myself using any other browser and all this is PRE add-ins which I've not been playing with but will definately improve by browsing experience and fix youtube.

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

NO, it's a fact.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

I turned off the "awesome" bar behaviour and don't really need the searchbox either.
    Very happy it's easily customised now though.

10. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Chrome updates itself in the background. By default you cant turn it off and it doesnt tell you there is an update being installed. It might do if a update changes alot of things in the UI but most do not, certainly none since the silent update method has been used.
    You have to tinker with the registry to stop it updating, not sure if there is an extension that does it though.
    http://blogs.sitepoint.com/how-to-disable-google-chrome-updates/

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Just downloaded and tried FF4, seems decent so far - the layout and responsiveness is good. But its still not as quick or as streamlined as Chrome IMO, so I wont be turning back anytime soon

12. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

Its an opinion at best

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Thanks! :thumb:
    I'd like to "initiate" an Update, chrome is installed on a computer I rarely use these days, and is probably quite a few updates behind.
    Is that possible?

14. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

It wasn't me! Seriously.

Any browser which want to look like Chrome clone is D.E.A.D. for me, forever.

Using Maxthon for stubborn "designed for IE/FF" sites, otherwise...

Opera Cheesecake! Mauling competition since version 3.0.

15. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Sure, just fire up chrome, wait a minute or two (depending on your net connection speed) and restart it :D

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

NO, it's a fact that don't want or need FF.

17. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Seamless switch from FF3.6 to FF4.x on Linux-Mint 10. No chance of using IE 9.0 here!!
    I prefer the tabs the tabs laid on top. Also the speed is much better in FF4.x (I tried the early Windows betas and they were all over the place)!! What with Firefox sync and all my other add-ons I don't need another browser really (now the speed issue has been sorted out). The Mozilla Foundation claimed to have completely rewritten the code-base for this release (in a podcast I was listening to recently) - appears to be the case as well!

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Nothing happends.
    *sigh* was a "look for updates now" button really that much work? :sigh:

19. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Click the settings button, and then 'About Google Chrome'. This forces an update check.

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Thanks, I'll try

Tags: Add Tags