1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Shift 2: Unleashed Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 29 Mar 2011.

1. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I haven't yet seen a review which comments on the in-car view. The dev has said it wanted to make the in car view the best one to use and has gone to great lengths to make it feel as authentic as possible.

2. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

The handling will be the real make or break of this.. Im used to playing ultra realistic sims such as rfactor and Race07, so if this can come close it will be a real cracker..

However, judging by the videos so far, its not looking too promising.

3. MrCraigL

MrCraigL What's a Dremel?

@Faunus Hi.

I just wanted to answer some of your questions.

Yes, the autolog is included. This was mentioned in the review, though not by name.
    "Between normal races you can set lap times, recommend tracks to your online friends and be notified through email when your time is beaten. EA is hoping it can spawn communities where this sort of in-competition can take hold"

The handling/driving is on the fun side of realistic.
    "Shift 2 is a continuation of the not-super-serious racing sim (more GRID than iRacing)"..."The cars all handle as if they have real weight and momentum to them, so when you get going you can’t help but lean yourself into the arms of your chair as you tackle tight corners, or hold your breath as your back end swings a little bit too wide. "

I can't comment on a wheel, I didn't have one available at the time of review. I reviewed with a 360 pad which worked fine. Hopefully reports will come in soon.

The graphics are nice, which you can see from the screenshots provided and the multitude of videos online.
    "the engines blast through your speakers, the tracks and cars look amazing and you’re banking around corners with reckless abandon"

I played the game on a i7 930 at stock speed with an nVidia 470 and 6GB DDR 3. It ran on high settings smoothly. If it hadn't have ran as expected (ie well and looking nice) it would have been mentioned in the review.

Hope that clears some things for you, sorry the review isn't as technical as you like. I think it's more important to capture what a games like to play and whether you will like the experience, rather than whether it supports AA or not.

@Da_Rude_Baboon
    The helmet cam isn't great as it moves your viewpoint as you're trying to take corners. The standard "in car" was my preference though, but everyone will want something different. I know other reviewers have been playing in chase-cam.

murraynt likes this.
  4. Faunus

Faunus What's a Dremel?

Thanks for clarification of my points...

5. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

so it looks that after TDU failed to deliver proper successor EA nailed it with Shift 2!!!! Gonna order it now (still have few rival challenges in the first part though)

this is what i need a good racer :) gt5 and shift2 - lovely

6. veato

veato I should be working

The G27 (I checked because I have one) has full support in Unleashed including all functioning buttons and 900 degree wheel rotation - that's PC and PS3 too.

I read somewhere one of the devs even said although 900 degrees is a bit pointless in this game it is fully featured and even the drivers arms animate properly on the wheel to show it.

7. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Would be funny to see someone race with full 900 degree rotation.

8. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Already have this game - can't wait till friday to play it!

9. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I really enjoyed GRID so I think I may have to pick this up.

10. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

Why do you have to wait if you already have it?

11. Rustypouch

Rustypouch What's a Dremel?

The first NFS Shift was amazing fun. The balance between realism and fun in the way that the cars feel, makes it such a joy to play. I have had this on pre-order for months now. Roll on Friday.

12. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

The last racing game I really enjoyed was Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed. Are there any racing games like it from the current generation of racers? The ones I've tried either are either to (extreme) arcade like or to hardcore.

13. mephisto

mephisto What's a Dremel?

This game is really rubbish, try to use a Logitech G25 wheel and if you move the wheel 1% in straight line the car does a bend turn, it is really frustrating that a game that took so long to be developed, is to rubbish with real controls. Shift 1 was a soapy racing, the car was more like a soap bar on a plastic surface, made me regret so much of buying the game after playing GTR evolution and other good racing simulators.

Now EA comes with this game claiming it is the deal, real racing and blah blah blah... well, this is light years away from what they claim. Poor controls, poor menu interface, long waits with the chap talking rubbish about community and social game when you just wanna skip it and race.

Stick with Dirt 2, a lot better polished graphics engine, responsive controls and codemaster doesn't claim it to be the best thing on earth as EA does with shift 2. Save your frustration for Crysis 2!

14. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Going to treat myself with one copy =D

Have to finish F1 2010 too. I just love car racing ^^

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

9... really ? Just the name Shift 2 and I thought this is going to be a 5. Will have to take a look at this game.

16. Snubbs

Snubbs CustomPC Migration victim....

I think Bit-Tech may have compromised my university degree - I've now pre-ordered Shift 2 which is released on 1st April. I've got two massive assignments in on the 8th, another on the 11th, and a big one with a portfolio (which I've yet to invent) in for the 15th. :-S

I have to agree with some of the peeps moaning that this didn't feel like a review - you've not been negative :p
    However, I loved the first one, and can only assume this one will be better.

Thanks for the heads up on its impending release!

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Wow didn't expect this to be any good but a 9/10 on bit with high praise it's made it's way onto my to get list :D:thumb:.

18. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I'd also like to know how it compares to the original. I'm normally a huge racing fan but for some reason I hated the first Shift. The fact it kept bugging out and crashing or causing odd graphical anomolies didn't help.

19. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Same here, but Shift 1 was enjoyable in its own right as a "Simcade" if you will so I'm sure Shift 2 will be build upon that experience. From what I've read about the game so far it seems more like Shift 1.5 then a real sequel though. I don't really care about Autolog either... cos I have no friends...

I'm itching to try out the new Elite physics mode with my G25 but if it isn't as great with a wheel there's no reason to continue playing it with controller :)

20. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

I have a DFGT and thinking of getting a Clubsport pedals to use it. If this game supports mix and match for pc and if its great, well definately buy it. On another note-the game's not you in UK and you have a review. Must be nice to be the first site with the review up :)

Tags: Add Tags