1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New build, won't boot, fans spin slightly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HighEntropy, 9 Feb 2011.

1. HighEntropy

HighEntropy What's a Dremel?

I'm back.
    RMA'd the motherboard, and still no luck, although the problem is different now.
    The motherboard now loops rebooting. A green LED on the mobo comes on for maybe five seconds, then powers off, same with all fans. Then this loops.
    I've tried with different configurations and still nothing.
    This is getting very frustrating... I've been waiting months for this machine to work and I've simply had the worst luck. Not sure where to go from here.

2. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

It probably wont be this but have you connected both the power connections from the PSU to the motherboard, the 24 pin ATX and the 4/8 pin plug?
    I did this with my first build and is a very common rookie mistake seemingly

3. HighEntropy

I've double-checked that. Thanks though!

4. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem, and thought it was the PSU, Mobo, etc. It actually ended up being the video card. If you have a spare, trying switching out the GPU to see if that fixes the problem. If you don't, and you don't mind voiding your warranty, then remove the stock cooler and look at the soldering on the chipset of the GPU. Mine was melted off completely from a short!

5. HighEntropy

I've considered this! However, it seems odd to me that the same problem would happen regardless on the video card being installed... Thus, I don't believe that the video card is the problem. My money is on PSU now, I suppose. If not, then CPU.

6. Wira

Wira Spoderman

I had the same rebooting problem you describe when I first powered on my pc.

Solved it by running with one ram stick, installing the drivers for the mobo when windows has been installed (on one stick) and then inserting the second one. The board simply didn't support my ram without the newest drivers.

Best of luck!

7. HighEntropy

Hmm, this is strange. I've tested it with one stick of RAM in each slot, both, etc... No luck.
    The fact that the same issue happens with the CPU uninstalled leads me to think it's the PSU. I know it's not the mobo. What do you guys think?

8. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

When you tested the PSU, did you measure its outputs with a multimeter?? Maybe it can power up but it's providing wrong voltages.

On the other hand, i don't quite understand why would you think it's not the GPU. I'd love to hear exactly how you tested cause i'm getting confused. At least we know it's not the motherboard...

By the way, did you hook a speaker to the motherboard? is there any error beep?

Hope you can fix your pc asap T_T, i'm still building my new rig and i wouldn't want it to happen to me!!

---------------------------------------------
    Edit: it seems that there are many ud3 with reboot problems. I know that you have already tryed to clear CMOS and that you have changed mobos but i'd suggest to take the battery out at least 30 min. It wont hurt you...

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  9. HighEntropy

I didn't use a multimeter because I don't own one. I'll try within the next few days either to get a new PSU, or a multimeter. I also don't own a mobo speaker. :(

If I try to boot the system with everything installed (HDDs, video card, RAM, CPU...) I get the problem that I described. Green LED blinks a little, then loops, and all fans loop as well.
    If I try to boot the system with nothing but the CPU, one stick of RAM, and the heatsink, I also get the same problem.
    Heck, I get the same problem if I try with nothing at all installed.
    Therefore I don't believe it's the video card... However, correct me if I'm wrong!

10. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

If you want to buy one, a cheap multimeter would be enough. They come in handy too...

Don't be stingy, buy a speaker or get one from another PC. Beep codes (if there are any) could help solve your problem...

11. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

I have a spare speaker from one of those little ATX kits you can buy. I have never had to use it before but pretty sure it is working. PM me your address and I will stick it in the post for you if you want it.

12. Silent_Raider

I haven't used these, but I recently stumbled upon them in a catalog.

Elston Post Tester ISA / PCI Slot V.3.2 POSTCARD_32_MAN

Stick em in your PCI slot when you boot and it will give you your POST error codes so you can figure out exactly what is causing it. I'm thinking about adding one to my tool kit.

13. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

That card seems to be rather old. It was originally designed to work with AT PCs ^^' !!!
    I'm sure you can get one that works in newer hardware but i dont think it's necessary. A cheap speaker and voltmeter will do. Anyway, we are bounded to see that PSU being RMAed...

14. Silent_Raider

Haha yea it looks quite old but should still work. They have a slightly newer version on there. Like I said, never used them but they seem like a good idea.

Hopefully a new PSU will do the trick though.

15. HighEntropy

That's very kind of you, however I'm living in Canada and I wouldn't want you to have to send it all the way across the pond! I'll probably pick one of these up for use in the future, but for now it's really sounding like the PSU. I'm going to either buy a voltmeter or RMA this bad boy and post results.
    Thanks for your help (so far) everyone!

16. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Out of interest.. What is the model of your memory and the specific voltage requirements?

17. karagiosis

karagiosis Greed

Do you have any other PC? it doesn't matter how old it is, it should have an internal speaker! Otherwise, your neighborhood should have one, or your friends!
    Come on! i'm living on the other side of the world and i could manage to get 10 speakers in an hour T_T. I'm afraid i can't send them to you, it's a little bit expensive... xD

Anyway, If it doesn't take much time, you'd better RMA yout PSU. If any friend or relative could lend you a multimeter/speaker that would be great but you shouldn't waste any more money or time. That's my advice

Good Luck!

------------------------------------
    Edit: just in case. Speakers could be in the form of coil loudspeakers or piezoelectric speakers. Check polarity for the late...

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  18. HighEntropy

I've RMA'ed the power supply now ($30 shipping?!!) and the problem still exists.
    We have ruled out power supply and motherboard. Could it be faulty RAM? CPU? I'm getting so fed up, I'm about to sell all of it and start new.

19. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Have you tried only using one dimm of RAM in different slots or a different GFX card?

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Single memory sticks? different memory slots?

Can you take a pic of it all plugged in for us to have a look?