1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling TJ07 WC Fittings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyndre, 31 Mar 2011.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'm finalising the build of a water cooling system in a TJ07 case based around 2 GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2's. The loop is GPU only and has the following parts atm:

Koolance RP-452X2 Dual 5.25" Res (Trying to find a UK supplier with stock atm)
    QDC VL4N-F13/M13-19S (Same as above)
    Laing D5 Vario (MCP655) with bitspower Mod top
    XSPC RX360 Rad with 3 x Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans
    XSPC 2m Glossy Black Hose 1/2" ID 3/4" OD

Aquaero 4 fan controller Black VFD

My last problem is the fittings to connect this all up. In total I know I need 8 for all elements of the loop but I'm finding it hard to work out how many 45 / 90 degree and how many straight rotary and can't find any good reference images so I can see it in a TJ07 case.

I know I need a Bitspower D-PLUG for the hydrocopper connector and I want the rest of the system to use bitspower compression fittings with ID 1/2". I'm also going to use a bitspower temp probe.
    Anyone able to give me any advice on this?

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Its up to you really, you can run the tubes where ever you want then from that you can work out what fittings you need.

3. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Fair enough, so as a rule most builders purchase fittings after picking up the main build parts to get a gauge of what to buy. Must say the compression parts are fairly expensive so very much want exactly what is required.

I've also seen some conflicting advice on rad size of rcooling SLI GTX 580's. I've opted for tri rad but some are saying you need quad rads for greater heat dispersion. Any ideas on this one?

4. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Cyndre,

I have used a 480 EK Rad on my TJ07 (for the two 580's I have installed) and I have silent Typhoons on now (in the top rad) and I'm not overly pleased so swapping them out for Coolermaster Fans (when they arrive) I may have to swap back if they don't work as desired mind you.
    I have also installed a 360 GT Stealth in the roof. and used a single loop config

[​IMG]

Last edited: 31 Mar 2011
  5. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I know its a bit vague as I have covered the Drive Bays with Acrylic but it is a TJ07 honest

6. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Ah cheers that's actually pretty helpful to see some tubes routed in a TJ07 gives me a better idea on the fittings. Looks like I may have to upgrade to a quad rad in that case. I may add another rad at a later date when I can afford to drop an EK HF on the cpu but prob wait for ivy bridge before spending on that.

Is it anything in particular about the GT fans that is a problem? I've seen good things about their static pressure in relation to the fin density of the RX series rads.

7. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Nothing wrong with them as such, they do pull the air through the rad and cool the system and they are almost silent, just got to try different things really until you are happy I want some red LED's on the case anyhow and they shift a fair amount of air so its a suck it and see moment. I might resort to shoving the ST's back on lol

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Dead Beat uses one of those rads to cool 3 580's, and their overclocked too... So it'll be fine :)

9. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

I gotta say I am currently elated after finally putting in my order for my new system. I've been scouring here and Anandtech for over a year for advice, parts and a vision for what it would be and today I finally put the money down and made it a reality :D
    Gotta say if anyone needs advice for systems here and Anandtech really are fantastic and make it alot easier.

Final Build:

Case: Temjin TJ07
    Cpu: Intel i7-2600k
    Mainboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme P67
    RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC12800
    PSU: Corsair AX1200
    SSD: 120GB OCZ Vertex 3
    HDD: 2 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
    Optical: LG CH10LS20 Blue Ray
    GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 580 Hydrocopper 2

Coolant System CPU:

Corsair H70 with stock fans replaced with 2 x Gentle Typhoon 1850 rpm fans
    (Once I can afford it I want to finish a dual loop with an EK Supreme HF and Dual Rad)

Coolant System GPU:

Koolance RP452X2 Dual reservoir 5.25"
    Koolance VL4N F13/M13 19S Quick Disconnect 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
    Laing D5 Vario Pump with Bitspower top
    XSPC RX360 Radiator with 3 x Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans
    Bitspower BP-MBWP-CT Temp Probe
    Bitspower Matte Black G 1/4 D-Plug Set for SLI
    Aquaero 4.00 USB Silver Black VFD Controller
    XSPC 2M 1/2" ID 3/4" OD Hose

Bitspower compression fittings to flavour once I've got all the parts and can take a good look at my requirements.

Btw Chilledpc were fantastic with ordering the Koolance parts. I couldn't find any UK supplier with stock but he replied within hours of my email setting up a custom order for me and will have them shipped to me in 3 - 4 days. He was very very helpful and excellent service.

Same with scan the sales guy was very helpful with confirming availability and so far everything has gone well. And cheers for everyone who gave advice over the course of my long research and build.

It's an expensive build and way OTT but damn it is awesome in everyway and I love it!! Only thing left is does anyone know a good powder coater in the hertfordshire area so I can give that TJ07 some internal loving?

10. d3m0n_edge

d3m0n_edge Lost Is Your Soul

11. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

Make sure you get some pictures up when your finished

12. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Yeah I saw specialtech but it has terrible feedback for customer service and usuaully if there is alot of bad feedback there is something to it so I avoid.
    And to be fair chilledpc have provided really superb service, prob going to send the TJ07 to them for powder coating.

And yep will def post up the build as I do it, got a decent Sony HX5 so hopefully can take some good shots.

13. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've bought a lot of stuff from Specialtech including components that they've ordered specially for me and recommended them to others. I've had no problem RMAing a faulty part although I've only had the one so am curious where you've picked up on bad feedback for them and would appreciate a link.

14. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Ironically I picked a bit of it up off this forum when searching for UK suppliers: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2004097 also some stuff here http://www.ciao.co.uk/specialtech_co_uk__Review_5800844.

To be honest I long ago stopped giving companies the benefit of the doubt. If I see enough poor reviews or service issues I don't chance it. It can cut my options a bit but I detest poor service and find it easy to avoid putting myself in a bad position by sticking to others experiences.

With scan and chilledpc reviews and feedback has been overly positive and my consequent experiences have likewise been good.

My biggest mistake was buying a dell xps on the premise that at the time they were supposedly excellent systems for gaming and unfortunately despite alot of negative feedback I bought and regretted it. It's that decision that has put me in the position of a fresh build over steady upgrading.

If it means I miss out occasionally on a company because of slanted reviews I consider it a small price to pay to avoid getting entangled with poor service though I'm quick to praise companies that provide excellent service to me such as O2, British Airways, the aforementioned suppliers etc etc.

I'm not necessarily saying my preference is fair or always right but it's a buyers market and hey works for me :)

15. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Im am desperately searching for a bitspower G1/4" Matte Black D-Plug model code bp-mbwp-c07. Does anyone know anywhere in the UK that can supply these.
    I can find it easily in the US but shipping is $28 for a $6.50 item. Ive tried all the major suppliers even that specialtech above and not even ebay has it.

Really need this to link my hydrocoppers!!

16. Big Elf

17. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

So parts have started arriving and I have the whole base system. As an aside pics online really don't do the Maximus of hydro coppers justice. The build quality on both is simply superb and they look fantastic.

I'm still chasing up the recommendation for the powder coater I asked about in another thread and will prob ring them tommorow as they didn't reply to email.
    I'm now trying to really nail down my final loop and have made a few adjustements based on advice from various forums.

I'm switching to 2 x PMP 450 pumps to run in serial with the RP-452X2 res which should give me alot better flow and drop down to a single loop.
    Coolant I fancy the Thermochill EC6 as it has superb reviews and solves having to go out and get biocide / kill coil and then adding it all in.
    My d-plug is shipping from the US thanks to my wifes parents out there!! Go go inlaws!!! Though after I approached scan they are apparently going to start stocking it as well.

Now from pics it looks like an RX480 will fit the base of the tj07 and gather I'll need a stand for fitting (Phobya any good?). So bit of advice here should I go 4 GT 1850 fans in pull config or use 8 with push pull?

Next prob is the roof can obviously only take a 240 rad so looking at the Black Ice GT 240 to eliminate problems with spacing on the E-ATX board. Again thinking of using push on this for case airflow as an exhaust.

I did look at the cost of getting the roof modded but what with powder coating and all I may as well have bought a TJ11 for what it'd end up costing me!

Now the only other thing I'm wondering is would I be better not putting in a ceiling mounted rack and maybe use an external stand with 2 x 360 Rads? The lopp I'm looking at is going:

Pump / Res > GPU1 > GPU 2 > RX480 > CPU > GT 240 or external > Pump / Res

Whilst it won't make much difference to the overall temp I would prefer to get as much cool water over the GPU's as poss then dump it before the cpu.

Anyway any advise welcome. Cheers!

18. Big Elf

Although you'll get a RX480 in the base of the TJ07 there isn't enough space for push/pull. From my experience in my system pull works best but we're only talking 1ºC on the CPU temp. It does reduce the noise levels slighly on Scythe GTs in pull though. I use the Pulse Modding rad stand which is designed for the TJ07 in particular but I see no reason why the Phobya one shouldn't work.

The BI GT240 is a slimline rad and will fit in the roof of the case. I cut the roof grill down and fitted a rad to it with copper wire.

You can hang a rad off the back (I've got an extra RX480 on mine). http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2642108&postcount=42 You can do it neater than me though. I just used gutted fans as mounting brackets but a Swiftech rad box or 2 would look better. You'd need a 92mm/120mm fan adapter as well.

Water temps in my loop vary by no more than 1ºC between the hottest and coolest part of the loop so it doesn't matter where in the loop the rads are (unless you want the 1ºC).

After bad experiences with Feser fluid I just stick to deionised and a kill coil. Non-Conductive fluids like EC6 become conductive after a relatively short time in the loop due to ion exchange. However if you still plan on using just be aware that your loop might need more maintenance/block cleaning if it separates.

Last edited: 15 Apr 2011
  19. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

damn just lost my whole post thanks to this current heap of junk :(

Anyway point taken I shall stick with distilled and pt nuke I've no desire to increase my risk for the sake of pretty fluids. And pull would suit me fine, cuts another £50 off the fan bill.

Did you have to cut the base of your tj07 to fit the pulsemod stand as I was looking at that stand but put off by the fact I might need to cut screw holes.

One other thing how is the air flow in the case generally, can it benefit by swapping the stock fans on the intake at the rear at all?

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Big Elf really loves his Gentle Typhoons!!! How many are you running?