1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project: DIY CNC - V3 Reinforced Z Axis

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lenne0815, 16 Dec 2009.

1. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

Hi guyse, just al little update, im still into this whole longboard thing but i changed a whole lot, for example they now do have cnc routed paulownia cores ( thats a special, very lightweight wood which is often used for wakeboards / kiteboards and so on )

heres a short vid about routing mdf molds for vacuum laminating.

ill try to get some more routing vids up soonish !

one moar :)

To get the machine working like that was probably the hardest thing about the whole build it took a huge amount of software finetuning to get the acceleration rates right, at one point i already gave up but then i had one of these sudden idea "flashes" which brought me back on the right track and solved most of the problems i had with the stepper motors being to weak / Machine not running smooth.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2011
  2. chiamau

chiamau What's a Dremel?

can you modding office desk with lift monitor and hiding case in desk?

3. lenne0815

Yeah, i probably could do that, why ? did i mention i started working on Nautilus again ? :)

4. chiamau

chiamau What's a Dremel?

i like this lift, karena sangat mempesona, bisakah anda membuatkan tutorial cara buatnya?

Englishised version: "because it is very fascinating, can you make a tutorial how to make it"

Last edited by a moderator: 4 Mar 2011
  5. lenne0815

Im sorry, i just dont have the time to just make a tutorial on something like that, just google ull find out for urself...

6. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

show us some progress then :D

7. lenne0815

Just teasin ;) ill do it when i got a bit further...

8. chris@cmd

chris@cmd What's a Dremel?

truely inspirational!

i seriously need to get some cnc milling in my life!

cant wait to see more developments!

9. lenne0815

Yay, there are some big things planned for v3 a completely reworked table, a new more powerfull spindle motor and more heigt ( up tp 250 to 300mm ) because im routing a lot more 3d molds lately and need bigger bits / collets / more space on z.

Another point is that the "mediocre" linear rails i have on the z achsis just have too much play in them, if im going 20mm deep into MDF its not really precise anymore...

I already got new psus for the steppers installed after the intial psus exploded on me ( lots of noise and smoke :D )

10. lenne0815

Slowly new parts are arriving for the update to V3 :)

New linear rails for the Z axis

[​IMG]

The whole z axis will be rebuild to get a higher working area ( im aiming for 300mm ) and to accomodate the bigger spindle motor i ordered, which has a new bigger holder and can finally use bits up to 12mm which enables me to use diamond cutters for this nasty whiteboard stuff...

The old rails just had to much play in them, not really suited for heavier routing, i didnt even try much aluminium, i dont think the outcome would have been good at all.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2011
  11. tcop

tcop What's a Dremel?

Man, I am reading and watching for your diy cnc the last couple of hours. I've been shocked from what you have achieved...

Can you give some info about the controller you use to send instructions to the stepping motors?

12. lenne0815

Its the UNIPORT V2 USB Powered interface from diycnc, works just nicely, especially the high voltage relais are nice to have. ( and u save another psu because u can use 5v from usb )

13. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

linky?

14. lenne0815

diycnc.co.uk

15. lenne0815

Today, after 4 weeks of waiting :/ a small box arrived :)

[​IMG]

Suhner UAL 23 RF ( with a bigger holder, ull see why ;) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quiet big :) i hope this motor can finally cope with the heavier routing operations ;)

For the smaller suhner i had to order new brushes because it burned through them, they are quiet easily replaced:

[​IMG]

Its the same system as for the bigger one

My second spindle ( The kress 1050 ) got a holder so i can still use it as a standard hand tool.

So far i can say that everything below the the UAL 23 is not really suited for heavier routing, the kress totally burned through, bearings got damaged and the electronics needed to be replaced.

The smaller Suhner copes quiet well with chipboard and ply but if its running at 100% load all the time it chews trough the brushes very fast.

I dont know about the UAL 23 yet because i just unpacked it, but just from the feel and sound of it i think itll do the job nicely :)

I made a video of the spindles aswell but its basically just showing them switched on and running at different speeds to get an impression of the noise they produce:

And a bit off topic, but look what ive got :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i can prepare wood before routing it, nice :)

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  16. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

nice workshop you've got there !
    can't wait to see what's next

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

awesome shop Lenne! I recently bought my cnc and am running the Kress spindle just for the beginning. Seems pretty solid for small runs but cant wait to upgrade to something a bit more meaty :D

18. lenne0815

THX :) i dunno if i mentioned it already that i moved, i now have about 550m2 Space :) downstairs is a huge 500litre air Compressor which we just got up and running, feels like heaven :D

Yeah, its not too bad if ure not trying to get 8mm bits 15mm deep throug plywood ;) i especially like the spindle lock so u only need one tool to open the collet, another nive feature is the plugged cable wich has this sturdy removable plug, makes it really easy to replace the cords.

On the other hand even the small suhner wich is also rated at 1050watts has atleast twice the torque and is build much sturdier...

Last edited: 22 Apr 2011
  19. JB S

JB S What's a Dremel?

Hi lene,

Looks like you're quite serious about your milling!!

I'm after a simple but solid milling spindle, I've spotted the suhne ones yesterday and I'm looking for some opinions about them.

I drill some diam 3-5 and 8mm holes into staks of MDF boards of 63mm in total height and pure aluminium of 20mm and 40mm in height. The spindles we have on our machine are HF ones rated at 60 000 RPM which lose all the torque when slowed down to 7 000 which makes it delicated in the wood and impossible in the aluminium.

That's why I'm after a new one.

What's your feeling about this?

ps : I can't find any supplier for suhner in france that have the model I'm interested in (UAL 14-RF) where did you get yours from?

THX

JB

20. lenne0815

Hmm, im not too sure about the aluminium, i only know that the smaller suhner would drill the MDF easily.

For ur motor i found only one german supplywww.vk-technik.de but they seem to ship internationally aswell.

Propably it would be the best option to have a look at the technical data sheets first, but if ur hf spindle cant cope with 8mm mdf its way underpowered.

Build Quality is really good on both models, they are easily disassembled and serviced and theres a complete chart of parts with them so its easy to get any replacement part there is.