1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Antec 300 Project Log/upgrades

Discussion in 'Modding' started by stefan442, 20 Mar 2011.

1. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

Right, this isnt going to be nothing mental. I have an antec 300 case and im looking to make it a nice clean and tidy pc.

My list of plans include;

- paint exsisting fans white
    - remove covers from fans. (wondering if it will affect airflow)
    - colour scheme; probably black and white. Considering the case is mostly black, i would make inside white with various other bits white.
    - braid all cables. Black or white, or a mixture
    - White led's. Would go blue but im thinking a nice pure bright white would look superb
    - side mount hard drive with platter showing, build a see through case (big maybe this one)
    - mount the cover on the dvd drive to make it look like there isnt a dvd drive.
    - spray power supply white
    - cut a hole for power supply. Or keep as it is. 2 front 120mm pulling air in and have 2 120mm pushing air out, 1 on back and 1 up top.
    - Make a window for the side panel, benefit would be getting rid of the vent hole i dont use. Making for better air flow and dust prevention
    - general sound proofing and dust prevention

If anyone has any tips or links to help me out i would be very grateful. Im wondering what spray to use, and where to get some nice cable sheath from also LEDs. Any suggestions?

:thumb:

stefan

Last edited: 26 Sep 2011
  2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Hey

Sounds like a nice and simple mod :)

For advice on painting head over and take a look a the Mod Men case mod Episode 3 other than that can't beat Halford's for paint.

Try MDPC for sleeving.

Thanks

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice and simple, but effective mods. Great way to start.

You forgot:

Post log on bit-tech.

Also...

4. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

if you remove the fan housing the air will just get moved about and it will lose direction, looks good but I don't think the cooling efect will be anything but worse.
    You can get braided cable LEDS and pre braided cable extentions now from most online PC retailers. I bought an ATX extended red braided cable and two Mobo CPU 6pin cables from specialtech.co.uk
    Good luck with your mods

5. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

spray paint :
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_724415_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_210069_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_210031_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

Was wondering if anyone had any idea on how much white spray paint i would need to cover the inside of an antec 300?! Its not the cheapest stuff and i dont want to buy too much if i can help it.

Black rivets :
    http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-mounting/rivets/rivet-countersunk-head-black.htm

black sleeve kit :
    http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve-kits-+-tools/sleeve-kits/mdpc-sleeve-kit.htm

Quite expensive for the sleeve kit, can remember seeing a decent cheaper one somewhere but i need a proper good net hunt! maybe ebay can help me out!But that is something similar to what i will want.

http://www.mnpctech.com/PC_Cable_Wire_Sleeving_Kit.html

(a lot cheaper) I will probably end up ebaying the majority of this stuff. But its good to get some research done! Or this site :D http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2499.html

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Braided_Cables.html

Has them very nice nzxt braided cables, i already have a couple so i will utilise these anyway! But id like the rest to look just as nice

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Window_Kits.html

Not 100% on the side panel window as of yet! Id need to find a design rather than just having a square!

Get paid in a couple of days so i will start ordering some stuff! woop

6. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

The extensions and the other sleeve are crap compared to mdpc. Trust me on that one ;)

7. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Current state of my pc. I would like to remove the hard drive cage but it would mean that i would have a big job of hiding all the psu cables, i was thinking if i side mounted my hard drive then it could possibly act as a barrier to hide all the psu cables. I could drill out some nice big wholes and fill them with grommit strip! In fact, just drill a big ass hole and shove the cables through behind the mobo! Then drill individual holes for where they need to pop out! Length wont be a problem and i would only really need to sleeve the cables popping through. Unless i pro it and adjust lengths and sleeve all the way back to psu!

I will pait all fans in a uniform colour, probably just paint the fan itself white and keep the casing black. Ill see how they come out, ive seen somewhere that you can just pull a clip out and the fan basically falls apart. Toxicity build i think.

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Theres a tiny cir-clip that just pops off most fans to release the blades.

9. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

Right, bought some bits.

Still need to buy some braiding, i rekon 3 mm for individual cables. Need white/black and possibly i might mix in some red. And i need some 6mm black or white heatshrink. undecided on colour, maybe both.

Im going to paint all thumb screws and try paint fan screws, see how the paint holds out when i re use them.

Pics below of current progress:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow i will finish taking case apart, make some cabling holes and i will remove the grills infront of the intake fans on the front of the case! And i may possibly prime the case......

10. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

I did write up a mssive todo list and a list of what ive done. But closed tab by accident as ive been for a few beers whilst letting the paint dry! ill post some more info 2mora.

Photos so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Criticism welcome....

Thanks,

stefan

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

constructive criticism would be better though Stef, nice start

12. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

Right.

Im waiting on some sleeving and black rivets from mdpc. Would recommend buying from that site, got a really nice personal email and a thorough written tutorial for sleeving and some pics to help me out a bit! :D As soon as i get that i can put the case back together and sleeve up.

http://en.mdpc-x.com/mdpc-sleeve/sleeve/sleeve-small-red.htm

Im going to add either red or white light now. I decided to add red because the psu has red connectors and a 3rd colour would add to the case. I think it would anyway.

13. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

...you forget about the personalized drawing :D

14. Mataten

Mataten What's a Dremel?

Nice start of your mod Stefan,I will follow it to the end because I´ve got a 300 myself.
    I have been doing some thoughts what to do with it.
    Now I have an inspiration source,if you dont mind?

Grrreat work so far!:dremel:

15. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Have done this with both intakes. Looks alright and the fans fit in just fine
    [​IMG]
    Woop, came within 3 days. Superb service and superb product!! mdpc Cheesecake
    [​IMG]
    Top quality
    [​IMG]
    Black rivets being used
    [​IMG]
    I couldnt sleeve every single cable into my psu, there just wouldnt be any room! I almost need to extend the psu box and have the cables going though that then out the back. Its also very very hard to put the side cover of the antec back on. Just not enough room for all them cables. I was considering cutting off the cables i don't use and hiding them back in the psu so i could gain some space.
    [​IMG]
    Threw the pc back together as i wanted to play some shogun tw2 and build something on minecraft! I still need to sleeve sata cables, sleeve pci-e power, tidy cables, side window. I bought 2 6led strips off ebay for £4.99. They have a sticky back, just ran them up the hdd cage. The light shines through the front fans quite nicely. Also i need to either repaint all thumb screws again, or just buy some coloured ones. As my paint job on them didnt come out as planned!

law99 likes this.
  16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

That's looking good man. I really like the way it all comes together in white.

In fact, when I get some time and mony, I'm going to copy you I think. There is another mod by another bit tech user somewhere but I forgot to book mark the page!:waah:

Edit: Subsciribed.

What's that black stuff called that wraps around the holes?

17. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

^^ C-strip or edge trim

18. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

i call it grommit strip.

19. postmangav

postmangav What's a Dremel?

Nice mods. Looking at getting either a 100 or 300 in the next few weeks. Great job on the cables btw.

20. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

This is it for now...

i want to purchase an ssd also ill purchase a new gfx card at some point! But to be honest come the new year i would like to upgrade to SB or IB which means a total rebuild. Id probably buy a new case and move all of this into it and turn it into a media pc/server and put it downstairs next to the tv!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]