1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition Win a Green Gadgets LP-170 Pico-ITX OEM kit

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 5 Apr 2011.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

My idea would typically consist of multiple pico-itx boards, but 1 is still doable. since pico-itx has a form factor smaller than 4", it would definitely fit in the 5.25" drive bays, possibly even the HDD bays.

My idea was to take a full atx case with at least 4 (preferably more) 5.25" drive bays. The front of these bays should be a mesh material, just like this case. Zoom in to see the texture. All slots would consist of one the LP-170s. Behind each one I would mount fans that would suck in air. Each LP-170 would have it's ports facing out the front of the computer. If you don't want people having access to the LP-170s, just stick the mesh 5.25" cover over it.

Then, I would put in any generic motherboard in the main tray of the tower, with several PCI or PCI-e 1x slots. Each slot would have an Ethernet adapter in it. This is so each of the LP-170s can connect as a cluster computer. The built-in Ethernet port in the motherboard would be the main Internet or LAN connection.

Next I would put in at least 2 hard drives. One would be for the main motherboard, the other would be for the cluster of LP-170s, which would do a network boot.

After, I would take each of the Molex and floppy power connectors, cut off the ends, and solder the proper end for the LP-170. Obviously I would add whatever components I need to make sure the voltage is correct.

As the final touch, the main power button of the tower would be used to power the main motherboard, and I would solder the reset button to turn on all of the LP-170s at the same time.

An external DVD drive would be needed to install the OSes.

Basically, my idea is to create a low-power cluster server inside of a desktop computer. Of course, you could just get an 8-core Xeon which would probably be faster, but also tremendously more expensive.

2. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

A bit late in the day perhaps, but how about one of these boards with the dark rock pro cooler BT reviewed, lol

3. IaKoVl

IaKoVl What's a Dremel?

had a nice idea, sent an email... who knows, might move from itx to pico

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks for the L11 bump. Might also want to look ay my other Pico-ITX mod called Pico Bayard. It is a Pico board combined with a touchscreen in a common case.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=145093

The cooling solution I used makes it impossible to overheat because the CPU heatsink protrudes outside of the case. Good luck to all!

5. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

The product was so bad that the manufacture opted to have you give it away, rather then return the review sample?

:D

6. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I don't think the review kit is up for grabs unless they've taken it out of the case as that's not included. I think the aim of this competition is to show cynics what can be done with such a small bit of kit.

7. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Was thinking of doing something similar, the old artigo Pico-ITX kits used to have the mounts for the 5 1/4 bays and all...

8. schmidtbag

well 2 great minds think alike. i wasn't aware of the artigo being able to mount in those drives.

9. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Email sent.
    My plan is basically empty out an old (spare) megadrive I have, install this in it (create holes for the USB slots for controllers to go into), then load it up with emulators and have it as a nice small, easy to transport, all-in-one retro gaming experience.

10. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

This is the kit, model before the one that BT reviewed

11. schmidtbag

damn well there goes my chance of winning the contest. however, doesn't appear to have good ventilation at all if you stick it inside a computer. my idea is designed with great airflow in mind.

12. yogev_ezra

yogev_ezra Green Gadgets Ltd

We've sent Bit-Tech 2 boards: one assembled in our chassis and the other as the OEM kit. The assembled board had to be returned to us and the OEM kit stayed at Bit-Tech office for the competition.

Here is a YouTube video of this board: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGSb0KKDNg
    Link to manufacturer's Support page (you can find User Manual, drivers, BIOS updates there): http://www.commell.com.tw/Support/Product Technical Support/LP-170.htm

Hope that helps to everyone who is willing to participate in the contest. Sorry for the unclear speech as I have a small speech defect and could not find anybody else to take the video yesterday :blush:

13. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

OK, how about mounting two or four of these in a commodore 64 chassis and producing a Linux cluster computer...

Yes, I have no good ideas...

14. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Im not argueing about it, i think the rules are very fair and it stops people spouting BS you're trying to get in the important info while getting in details its trying to be creative with what you say aswell as what you plan to make. :dremel:

Heres praying but im not sure mine is quite creative enough i look forward to seeing the winners project log however! its rare to see pico-itx mods

15. asura

asura jack of all trades

And she's off... Could be fun.

16. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I submitted my idea - I'd have this thing in a rugged, passively-cooled milled aluminium case (sealed to IP67, naturally) with waterproof fittings. I'd strip a GPS dongle and a 3G dongle, and connect them to the internal USB fittings, then throw in a battery and make custom wiring for a 1.8" SSD etc.

Then, I'd hook it up to a Vuzix-style corner-of-eye display in my skiing goggles and a wrist-mounted keyboard, and use it to tell me my speed, altitude, location, weather, ski map etc. I could even hook up my helmet cam, and then upload videos wirelessly. Then while I'm cycling back in London, I can have it play me turn-by-turn satnav directions in my sunglasses...

17. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

What does the kit contain, exactly? Just the motherboard or also the power unit and some various connection cables such as USB(for front panel)?

18. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Hey no fair James Bond can't enter he will have Q help him! ^

19. yogev_ezra

yogev_ezra Green Gadgets Ltd

This YouTube video shows what you get: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pGSb0KKDNg

20. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

So it seems to have everything to make a tiny cookie of awesomeness! :rock: Already sent an email, so if I happen to catch the prize this'll be truly awesome! First serious case mod ever after years of planning under a student budget :blush: - and at the same time when I'm moving out of town leaving my parents without a PC. :sigh:

:rock: :dremel: :rock:

Tags: Add Tags