1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Brink (the game)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bigkingfun, 2 Dec 2009.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Whilst there's nothing wrong with UT in itself, the fact is that both Quake and UT style games have gone relatively out of favour since UT3 and Quake Wars. Also my memories of UT are people running around like headless chickens whilst constantly dodging/wall jumping to juke any fire whilst you're also prancing around doing exactly the same thing.

Besides, my favourite mode on UT was Instagib :p.

If it takes too many shots to kill a person (think the UT2004 Assault Rifle), then i'd just end up parkouring away and living to fight another day or something similar. Or i assume they'd have some sort of TF2 Spy like backstab system and you'd just end up running around backstabbing people.

I guess it's what they're trying to encourage in that the "Heavies" are the Tanks/DPS/Pushers whereas the more nimble builds are for running around disrupting stuff, but if the shooting isn't that great then it just seems like everyone's just going to be running around instead.

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Ah, Insta-gib.... awesome. Favourite was actually 1v1 (usually godlike AI for me back in the day of dialup modems) on Morpheus. Every shot had to count. :D

Looking at the videos of the game, in all fairness the bullet count needed isn't really all that high, certainly nowhere near UT assault rifle!

For instance the video "Ready and Able" (below), around the 0:59 mark, ADS kill with an MG is only 5 or 6 rounds.

Additionally, check out the GT TV preview also around the 0:54 mark where somebody drops light body types with a simple SMG in a few short burts with hipfire.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-hd-brink/711887

It looks athough yes, it will require a few more rounds to kill someone, especially a heavy bodytype, but nothing too mental. Certainly not like a Sniper trying to take on a Heavy in TF2 with the SMG :)

The use of ADS is nice as it prevents it from being *too* arcade-like. If that makes any sense?

3. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I do know what you're on about with the trailers etc. however unfortunately i can't say that they're reliable at all since none of them are indicative of how "healthy" a target is before/during an engagement.

Prime example is the Gametrailers interview wherein they state that they don't want Brink to be too "hardcore" and that no gun in the game will have a one-shot kill feature clicky (Just after the 2 minute mark).

However the scene immediately before is that of a scoped in semi-auto DMR like gun which promptly oneshots an enemy for a kill. The same can be said of the.... silenced shotgun? just after the 20 second mark in that "Ready and Able" trailer.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Indeed, it's a bit tricky to work it all out, but generally the weapons seem to have a decent middle ground of damage. No doubt the one-shot SR was in the middle of a fight judging from the other bodies there. Even in the GT video, he misses with 75% of the shots.

I like the idea that the XP for kills is lower than most other things and the distribution of XP for damage. Do 98% of the damage and you'll get 98% of the XP for it, even if someone else kills the target.

One nice thing I had read was that the role of camping became just that bit more dangerous as due the SMART system, there are little to no places to truly camp anymore as you can be attacked from almost any angle :) Should help to maintain momentum.

5. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Aye that is true.

Although rewatching that Interview i posted myself i noticed him talking about a Pistol secondary weapon with a Knife in the off hand slashing around (as opposed to strikes with the butt of a gun)...

Couple this with the SMART system... even more annoying version of Commando, Lightweight, Marathon and Tactical Knife much? :wallbash:

I guess that remains to be seen.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

That's what shotguns and teamplay are for ;) Covering your arse!

Indeed, this is all speculation at the moment, but I have high hope for this. I am hoping that it's one of those slow-burner games that, while it may not get 1,000,000 sales in 24 hours, it still has a solid following for years. So long as Splash keep the maps going, the in-game customisation should help to keep it alive.

7. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

Hadn't seen any gameplay footage of this until today, had only seen the teaser trailers. It does look truly a very good game. Can't wait now!

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Nerfed snipers? Sounds like a challenge to me. :D

9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

That video was very impressive, i love the idea of hacking enemy turrets and the teamplay element looks very improtant from other vids which will be nice to go back to.

Although the first use of a molotov depressed me, when i molotov someone i want to see them running around like a tasered headless chicken but it just went boom :( :lol:

10. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Someone linked me a video last night which I watched while a bit drunk and I have to say that I didn't think it looked to great.

Will watch a few more of them from this thread and re-evaluate my opinion.

*Edit*

Hmm.. Still not too sure, but looks like it has the potential to be fun.

12. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Cant wait.... GIMME NAO!!!

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Key thing :)

I'll leave the videos I know here;

Also, very glad to see that Friendly Fire is an option :thumb:

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Interesting...

Class skill abilities will drain a "supply bar" every time you use them. This bar slowly regenerates over time. This stirs it up a little, well depending on how much it drains the bar (they say 1 'pip') as it means you need to be a bit more strategic with your skills. I like it!

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

16. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

You can preorder from ShopTo.net for £22.85 for the PC version.

Although I hesitate to recommend them at the minute because of this thread. Basically a code was emailed to their mailing list for £2 off at checkout any purchase made in the next 4 days. You can preorder @ ShopTo and they won't take money until dispatch but I elected to checkout instead and I couldn't enter the code.

Feedback in the thread linked above... nice mods they have

Edit: Turns out I've been banned from the forum. I may be being petty but I find it quite amusing so I submitted a complaint through their ticket system:

Last edited: 8 Apr 2011
  17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

18. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Gah, I hate over-zealous forum moderators...

19. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Also I'm sure BRINK is a Steampowered title so have to register it on Steam anyway!

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Well, we're waiting on the list of Steam Achievements, so it would certainly appear that that is the case.

It's slightly disappointing that the Pre-order packs are not available anywhere but those listed, I would much prefer to cancel my Steam pre-order and go through ZiiP Gamestore.

I know it's just skins, a gun and a sight, but they're... actually. To hell with it. I'm cancelling my Steam order.