1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Gigabyte announces AM3+ 'Black Socket' motherboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 7 Apr 2011.

1. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I want the chips! Now! Reviews, benchmarks, the whole package! FFS it has been too long and I won't buy any aged K architecture

2. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I did that on my first and only AMD chip and it scratched the CPU and cooler. Not cool.
    It was S939 so its a bit old and useless now.

3. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

the only problem i forsee is that a lot of people have already made the switch to sandy bridge because they just got fed up of waiting what seems like an eternity for bulldozer, granted some people will prob change again if bulldozer does end up being that little bit quicker but how many people seriously will think...-hmmm ive just spent a few hundred building my pc, i know ill get rid of it and needlessly spend a few hundred more on another computer that in real world terms wont make any difference to me what-so-ever-....so even if amd do compete with sandybridge (which i have my doubts) theyve probably already lost a fair bit of custom because theyve taken so long, if they want to succeed now then it will have to blow sandybridge out of the water but then theres also ivy bridge in a few months plus socket 2011 as-well

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Never have, Don't manhandle it just twist it side to side, and it comes right off.

5. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Then there are those of us with older AM3 kit and cheaper processors, looking for performance boosts without needing an entire new Mobo to run everything on. (The Financially Challenged, in other words.)

Bulldozer should be rather interesting, although I'd picked up on this backwards compatability fuss when I saw that rev. 3.1 of my Motherboard was AM3+ about five weeks back.

Irregardless: Octo-core? I want it. If only for the bragging rights if that thing will go to 4Ghz, even if it doesn't perform as well as a Sandy-Bridge job, Or an Ivy bridge, for that matter.

(C'mon, who doesn't think that EIGHT cores at Four Gigahertz a-piece would be awesome?)

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Thats me =) running AM2+ still lol

7. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Clue: one has the pins on the CPU where they belong

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Please don't suck, please don't suck, please don't suck..

I would be overjoyed if AMD could finally compete with Intel at the high-end again, instead of just in the budget range.
    Imagine if Bulldozer outperformed Intel's offering.. Now that would make for exciting times for the consumer.. again.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Intel patent the cage style socket SO how is AMD suppose to do the same? unless they paid Intel rights to use it.

If Im wrong please let me know but I remember seeing that A LONG time ago thus why AMD never used the concept.

10. dibengineering

dibengineering What's a Dremel?

Whatever the performance I still think AMD offer better value for money (and lets not mention the Sandy Bridge Fux Par ) and offer good selection of CPUs for every budget but it would be good if could walk all over Intel would be very cool !

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If Bulldozer ends up being better than Sandybridge. I would be delighted. The compeition that arises from it would be phenomenal. Plus I want to change out my LGA775.

12. 4Rm0D

4Rm0D What's a Dremel?

AMD has been using an LGA socket like intel for its server chips since the quad father mobo and the 1207 Opterons, so I doubt its a patent issue.I don't know why they use it on servers and ZIF on desktops though, maybe the compatibility thing....

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

ah well huh okay then ya that doesnt make sense then, could it be cost? trying to keep the price factor down? maybe they have a contract with the company that makes the other sockets and it just hasnt lapsed yet?

That would be an interesting question to get answered.

14. 4Rm0D

4Rm0D What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing that its a side effect of them making them compatible for so long. Makes it hard to change socket types.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i doubt it. all LGA and cages do is cost the mobo manufacturers more. by cutting off the pins of a cpu, amd would save money by using less materials. of course it'd be minimal, but it adds up. also i'd think it'd be much easier to manufacture a few hundred plates than a few hundred pins.

16. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Same here, got everything else for the follow-on build, just waiting for the board, I suspect BF3 will be the game that retires this AM2+ build so I will avoid that until all 870/890s are updated and the first new chipset's out with the processors - then finally get the board in. We just have to see whether the mobo makers end up more efficient than AMD itself in having boards ready for whenever these stupid chips show up to individual buyers, I saw a post from Viglen on [AMD's] site saying they were building it into their "fleets" for educational sales. Bah, patience...whenever the mag gets them in that'll be another month of NDA whatever happens.

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I was planning to retire mine when LGA2011 dropped and pick up either an LGA1366 or LGA1155 system from people looking to switch. Only problem is my board got phenom hex core support recently so a better upgrade option may be a 2nd hand one of those and hopefully it will fit into AM3+ boards. Personally I would like 8gb ram when I upgrade. Any less will fell like a sidewards move tbh. So many choices lol.

18. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

+1

19. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

As someone I knew once said, hearing (or seeing) this is like getting punched in the forehead.

Marking both the best and worst words/phrases I've heard all day, right here in this one thread. Somehow I missed the Quad Father when it came out.

I already know I'll need a full system replacement once BD lands. That said, I'm fine with it. If nothing else, you have to give it up to AMD for maintaining compatibility for so long. Intel's continuous replacement of sockets is, imo, irritating and unnecessarily confusing. Does Intel seriously have such different tech between generations and even within generations that they need to have 2-4 different sockets active at a time?

20. 4Rm0D

4Rm0D What's a Dremel?

Had a quad father for a little while it was fun while it lasted... To be honest though, my favorite part was the 13 SATA ports :p

Finally died in a mystery puff of white smoke and while it was out on RMA I replaced it. One of my friends is still loving it though.

Tags: Add Tags