1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Usonian

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 17 Feb 2011.

1. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

I like your grill, the building is amazing.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Jeff. Sometimes patience tends to be my sharpest tool. It comes with old age and deals with the devil. :hehe:

Thank you Wayne. I appreciate the rep. :thumb:

A sexy 100-year-old grille design? lol...I'll take it! Thanks Angad.

I'll take it Brian but seriously?.....grillerific? Ouch! :hehe: Thanks!

Thanks Javerh.

Thank you ringo. I seriously doubt my "building" will be amazing. Putting all these bits together into something cohesive will be the ultimate challenge. I'm giving myself about a 40% chance of pulling it off. Stay tuned for a great train wreck.

3. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Yeah, sorry. I had been watching too many infomercials lately lol.

4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

New! For a limited time only......The George Foreman 240 Grill. Call in the next 15 minutes for free shipping! It's Grillerific.

Something like that?

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe::lol:

6. Boddaker

Ah, you've been staying up past 2am as well I see. :D

7. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Everything you create is pure art mate!!! I looooove the grill design!! Mod on buddy! :)

8. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

Looks great that mate, keep up the good work!

9. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Alex!

Thank you Dave.

My second favorite Frank Lloyd Wright design (after Fallingwater) is the Bachman Wilson House located in Millstone, New Jersey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The grille was intended for the top fans where it would be mostly hidden from sight or....

[​IMG]
    ...I could mount it to the front.

[​IMG]
    To use the grille in the front I need to add another thickness of board so the "balcony" would hang over the top of the grille. Glue...spread...clamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Adding some material here and there to fill out spaces and aid structural support.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dry fitting the two roof sections including the cantilevered front piece. The idea is to provide enough room to stick a hand in to manipulate the re-located front-panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This project will be painted. The two colors modeled here are the actual paint codes (and brand) used by Frank Lloyd Wright. Cherokee Red is said to be FLW's favorite color (favourite colour for those who prefer their English to look more French-like). You can find this red everywhere in photos of his work. The beige-like color is called Covered Wagon and is the color he used to paint the cantilevered balconies on Fallingwater.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! I have no idea how this thing is going to turn out as I am mostly making things up as I go. If I wasn't having so much fun with it I probably would have burned it a long time ago. LOL Comments and suggestions are welcome.

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I keep saying it, but I can't believe how many bits are going into this build. It looks superb.:thumb: Can't wait to see how it turns out.

P.S .At least now I know I'm not the only one modding on a wing and a prayer...lol

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Painted wood is tricky. -Especially with red. Discrepancies in the coat thickness tend to show. I bet you know what you're doing, though.:D
    That explains why I'm still impatient as hell. When I'm mad, I always say, "God, give me patience!" I'm dealing with the wrong department.

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Jeff. Wing and a prayer pretty much sums it up. :hehe:

The red will go on the smaller areas like the window framing. I'm using plain ol' flat exterior latex paint but I'll be sanding it down between coats. We'll see how it works out. I'm more concerned about color combinations and what I'm going to do with my front grille. The fuzzy image in my head is failing me on that one.

The first step on the road to Patience is to be highly suspicious of the first idea or solution that pops up in your head. It tends to be just as stupid and irrelevant as announcing "First" when commenting online.

Waynio likes this.
  13. Boddaker

The next step is to reject all subsequent ideas until you have exhausted every other possible avenue except the one that leads back to your first idea. Only then will you have achieved patience. :lol:

Looking good so far Jeffrey. :thumb:

14. Attila

Attila still thinking....

It's really looking terrific skip.:thumb: I was going to mention the chunk missing in one of the pics, but you've already addressed that problem with the painting idea. :hehe:

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

This continues to be impressive. I really like how you mimicked the style. Very nice.

16. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I'm curiously looking on & I like what I'm seeing, awesome work slip :) +rep for continued awesomeness :D.

17. ronwon

ronwon What's a Dremel?

:thumb: really jawdropping what you build here

18. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

More than just a few chunks missing my friend. Thanks!

Thanks voigts! Mimicking styles can be fun.

Thanks Waynio! My own curiosity keeps me working on it.

Thank you. :thumb:

[​IMG]
    Right now I'm not liking the front grille idea. I think I can come up with a better solution. A simpler half-grille at the bottom and maybe a another window for the optical drive bay area. Here I have moved the grille back to its original position.

[​IMG]
    All of my different color schemes have one thing in common...red window framing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    After a couple of coats. One more sanding and a final coat should do it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These photos really help me to envision color combos and shading. I'm considering using either mahogany or teak in sections like the roof and/or vent decking. Some wood in my front grille solution would probably balance things out as well.

Thanks for looking.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

this is simply beautiful

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It certainly is beatiful & I'd imagine the original architect to like it too in a computer form :).