1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £800 film editing pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Birdy, 10 Apr 2011.

1. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

My dad (under the impression that I know how to build a PC:eyebrow: , wants me to build him an HD film editing PC, with a budget of £800.
    To cut to the chase, the pc must have Blue Ray writer, be windows 7, not especially noisy, and most importantly, must be able to last a long time without problems (his current PC is arount 10 years old - it runs windows 2000). Ideally it will have two screens (which we already have).
    The sensible thing would naturally be to use Sandy Bridge, but the main thing I am not sure about is whether a discreet graphics card is necessary - and also to the K series have different integrated graphics to the locked sandy bridge chips?

Anyhow my thoughts of what to get:

LG BH10LS30.AUAR 10x Blu-Ray Writer - £72
    Samsung SH-S223L/RSMS - £17
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Retail (Green) 32 & 64 Bit - £115
    2 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 - £80
    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), - £83
    600W Corsair CMPSU-600CX Builder Series - £50
    Antec 100 One Hundred - £43
    i5 2500 - £160
    Asus P8H67-V Rev3 Intel H67 - £112 - anyone know if this has the working chipset?

Total Price: £732

Any suggestions?
    Birdy

Last edited: 10 Apr 2011
  2. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I'd go for a P67 mobo, and a small discrete GPU. That way you can overclock the CPU (if you choose a 2500k that is).

3. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

I thought of that, but I was under the impression that over clocking would reduce the lifespan of the cpu and it might end up going for over 10 years... As well as that, p67 mobos are more expensive, I would have to get a k cpu and buy a new heatshrink. And then you have the problem that you cannot buy much graphics card within the budget.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If he wants silence the Fractal R3 is a good place to start.
    If you are a student you can get windows for half the price.

The K version of the 2500 is only 10 pounds more which is well worth it.
    8gb is a must really. Have a look at the Corsair XMS3 rams. It's a tad cheaper and it has smaller heat spreaders.

Go for a p67 motherboard as said above. It's only small premium.

If you can stretch the budget a small SSD would be give great as well.

The antec earthwatts 3802 will be enough of power or the bequite 400 watt.
    In fact Ebuyer have a 450Watt Antec on sale for only 29.99 pounds ATM.

For a GPU it might be worth getting something passive.
    Try and get something like a 5670

Have a look at the gild tranquillo as well or the coolermaster 212 Hyper Plus

The changes will push it slightly over budged but it's only small premium over 10 years.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Pretty much as murraynt said! :thumb:

Only problem I've found with the Fractal R3 are the grommets which tend to slip off when dealing with cable management. Slight irritation whilst building the PC but otherwise it is a really silent case. I have a P8P67 Deluxe with i5 2500K cooled by a Gelid Tranquillo and it's operation is near enough silent. For airflow a Be Quiet USC Silentwings 120mm fan in the bottom intake and rear exhaust is a good choice for silence. Although a Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan as an exhaust is even better, be it slightly louder. At least you'll know the PC is turned on this way! :D

6. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Ahh... Computer wisdom. :)

Anyone know where I can get windows (for students) half price? I could only find the upgrade from vista thing.

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

8. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I honestly do not know much about video editing, but doesn't Nvidia massively accelerate video editing via GPGPU (CUDA) function? I do know that you would have to use a program that supports this, but from what I have heard it really makes a difference.

If you go the route of CPU editing would it not make sense to opt for the i7 K edition? It is a bit more expensive but if your running it for ten years it would make sense to make the investment. (It is the option I would take)

Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge *OEM*
    CM8062300833908 - Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked, 1155, Sandy Bridge, Qd Core, 3.4 GHz, GPU 850Mhz, 8MB Cache, 95W, OEM

£194.17 Ex VAT
    £233.00 Inc VAT

i5 is: £160.98

so its about 70 pound difference. Also might want to consider the H50 crosair cooler.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The hyperthreading may help with the editing, presumably depends on software used etc.
    Overall looks pretty good, obviously getting Windows far cheaper as above.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just installed one of these and hit a problem because I clean installed instead of writing over an old operating system. Ended up on the blower to Microsoft and a call centre obviously in foreign climbs. Went in circles trying to activate Windows 7 the proper route and simply gave (hung) up. Typed the problem in to google and voila the solution presented itself. Now I have Windows 7 activated on my little HTPC all prim and proper.

11. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately his old PC is Windows 2000 - it says you need to have win xp or vista to upgrade from.

True an i7 2600k and the H50 would make it all a lot faster, but the problem with these build advice threads (not meaning to sound ungrateful) is that everyone always says x component will improve the pc, and it only costs y pounds more and will only bring you slightly over budget. So, trying to stick to the budget necessitates the i5.

If I were to install XP from my mum's computer's backup disk (why don't they give you them these days?) and then try and itstall the upgrade version would it:
    a) work
    b) be legal (my dad has a job were being on the right side of the law is important)

12. murraynt

murraynt Modder

You can actually do a fresh install with the upgrade version. Just give me a moment to find the thread.
    EDIT: Not the thread but close enough
    http://www.winsupersite.com/article/win7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Well no dough the 2600K will have an advantage over the 2500K but it's not worth it when the 2500K has 90% of the performance. Unless you are just going to be encoding video 24/7 it's not worth it.
    Also the new SB chip run lovely and cool so there is no need for a H50 unless you want to push the chip very far (5ghz)

If you had the dosh left over it would be much better to invest the money in a SSD rather than the 2600K.

13. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Looking at ebuyer they do have it on sale, but then the cheapest postage adds on £6 and if I do enough "constructive" posts (how do they know anyway?) then I get free postage from scan.
    At risk of sounding hypocritical, - no, being hypocritical - most of the mentioned psu mentioned only have 4 sata things, which doesn't leave much for upgrading (possibly to an sdd when they get cheaper - my dad has upgraded ram and hdd in the past).

murraynt (thats a hard name to type) you may not be interesting but you are helpful. :) . Thanks to everyone who is giving me advice.

14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

These are all counted as constructive post :)

Lol, yeah i didn't go to over the top with my username :hehe: Easy to remember though :D

15. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ye i agree completely. Unless literally everyday he is rendering a vid (which I highly doubt), its very difficult to suggest spending 70/80 more for hyperthreading, which will only benefit him on heavily multi-threaded apps - and in his case, it will likely only benefit him when he is literally rendering the vid (which will be very fast anyway with the 2500K).

He'd benefit much more by spending the money on a SSD, where he can install his Win7 and any vid editing software etc. Also, I know alot of guys will suggest using a P67 board and buying a discrete gpu - thats a good option of course - but if hes not gaming or overclocking, he could go down the H67 route and use the integrated gfx and also, if he has the right vid editing software, make use of QuickSync technology which is disabled on P67 boards (this is hardly a persusive feature as of yet though due to the small number of software venders which are compatible with quicksync, but its still something to think about and will save him money because he wont have to buy a gpu).

16. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

In use (for HD video editing) what kind of difference would I notice between the HD3000 and a 5670 - considering 2 (less than HD - I forget the res.) monitors would be used? Looking at anandtech, Quick Sync seems to make a big improvement over just cpu encoding/ transcoding.

17. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ok your dads needs were similar to mine when I bought my sandybridge pc. I dont game on it, but I wanted it for general multitasking - internet browsing, uni work, photoshop, and corel video studio for my video editing on my youtube channal - the HD 3000 gfx are absolutely fine *unless* he wants to game on it. Windows aero runs extremely smooth, HD movies run fine etc, he will only really benefit from a dedicated gpu if he wants to game (I run corel vid studio about once a week and it easily runs any of the 'effects and transitions'). The H67 boards support dual monitor setups too. Also, about QuickSync, theres only these software vendors that have made quicksync compatible products (going off Intels website):

Arcsoft MediaConverter*
    Arcsoft MediaImpression*
    Corel Digital Studio*
    CyberLink MediaEspresso*
    CyberLink PowerDirector*
    Elemental Badaboom*
    MainConcept*
    Movavi Video Converter*
    Roxio Creator*

So if he is using one of those, Quicksync will kick in when hes rendering the vid for so-called much faster rendering - corel vid studio x4 has it but it has been really buggy for me so I havent used it properly to say whether it has made a difference. If I was in your situation, I would get the full atx P8H67 motherboard with the 2500k for the on board graphics - you wont be able to overclock the cpu, however, but is that something you want to do if you're thinking about longevity and reliability? You could always add any PCIe compliant gpu afterwards should he want to game on that system.

OR, you could get the full atx P8P67 mobo and buy a cheap gpu, which will let you overclock the 2500K should you wish to, but you wont be able to use Quicksync (not that that is really an issue) and it will be more expensive.

18. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

just a qucick point, you dont need a 2500k if your not going to overclock. you can just use a 2500.

I would also say that even without overclocking, its going to be a big improvement on his current pc!

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Ye but for £8 more than the 2500 he gets the HD 3000 gfx instead of the 2000 - which is roughly twice as fast. In the long run, it would be worth it to get the 2500k even though hes not going to be overclocking.

20. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

Doesn't really seem like there is much point getting a discrete card then - I don't think he has ever played a pc game. And if I ever inherit it, it will play COD4 at above the 640 x 400 with minimum settings I play it at now. :)

So, current specs are:

2500K - £165
    Asus P8H67-V Rev3 - £112
    8GB(2x4GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) - £71
    Antec 100 One Hundred - £43
    LG BH10LS30.AUAR 10x Blu-Ray Writer - £72
    Samsung SH-S223L/RSMS - £17
    2 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 - £80
    Win 7 special student thing £40
    PSU (still undecided) - £40?

total £640 / £715 (if he wants "real" windows 7)