1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other PC crashing in BC2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RedDethX, 13 Apr 2011.

1. RedDethX

RedDethX What's a Dremel?

Hey all, I'm having a problem with my PC crashing in BC2. It's a complete lock up, the thing is no other games or apps crash my PC. It passes 8+ hours of Prime95 blend and 30 minutes of Furmark for my GPU, haven't tried memtest yet. CPU stays at 50-55 in game, doesn't get passed 60 after hours of stressing and my GPU stays at 60-65 in game, getting up to 83 in Furmark. I don't think its the thermals at all, I have a HAF 922 case that's well ventilated. Any thoughts on what it could be?

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Run memtest. A bad stick could be the culprit. Beyond that its gotta be something with the software. If memtest runs smooth then reinstall the game and try it again - also reinstall the drivers for the GPU.

RedDethX likes this.
  3. RedDethX

Thanks for the reply, I'll run memtest, see what happens, I just upgraded the drivers from 11.2 to 11.3, both do the same thing :(.

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

does it do it at stock?

5. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

How does it lock up? Is it screen frozen and sound loop? Do you have GPU polling stuff like afterburner, fraps, etc running?

If so it could be the latest pb update problem. pb has decided to conflict with stuff that polls your gpu. It was afterburner for me. try with all gpu monitoring related software stopped.

Apparently a uninstall and reinstall of pb will fix it if you still need gpu stuff running also. There's a big thread about it over on the ea bc2 forums.

6. RedDethX

Sorry for the slow reply, Memtest wasn't booting, and it completely freezes with a sound loops. I'll try re-installing PB anyways. It doesn't do it at Stock but it does it at any type of OC, which I find odd cause no matter how much I stress my CPU and GPU with benchmarks or games, no other application does this, only BC2.

7. mrbungle

So you now know its a hardware issue.

if the software works fine at stock, its not the problem :)

8. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

What are you using to OC your GPU?

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

keep in mind BFBC2 stresses your computer a bit more. so you should put a few notches more on all your voltage settings just in case, for better stability.

close all GPU related programs fixed the problem for me, then i ran afterbuner and it has not crashed yet. FRAPs seems to be a definite No No.

and don't do GPU overclock, the gain is pretty much unnoticeable, makes the GPU die so much faster.

10. RedDethX

Sapphire Trixxx. I have that running 24/7 in the background.

11. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Try it without trixx running. Disable trixx and reboot so no oc on gpu then try bc2 for a bit.

12. RedDethX

I'll try without trixxx and fraps in a sec, doing memtest ATM just in case. Thanks for the replies, I'll see how it goes.

13. wyx087

14. mrbungle

if it works fine stock how is this going to be monitoring software ?

15. wyx087

could be due to he closed all monitoring software to boot at stock. how do you know it's not due to monitoring software?

16. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

There are no open BFBC2 related issues in MSI Afterburner and there are no any fixes from MSI Afterburner side expected.
    The crashes in BFBC2 are caused by the next bug in memory scanner of the latest PunkBuster update released by EvenBalance on 9.3.2011. The flaw in scanner resulting in accessing hardware mapped memory is causing hardware to hang in conjunction with wide range of hardware monitoring applications including Gigabyte EasyTune 6, Sapphire Trixx, Techpowerup GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner and many other. So contact EA/EvenBalance and force them to fix their bugged anticheat system. End of story, closed and sticked the thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, RivaTuner creator

Says it all really. Good find Wuyanxu.

17. mrbungle

I'm presuming all the software running was the same just running at stock speeds.

18. RedDethX

I wasn't running Trixxx when everything was at stock, but my GPU is at stock now, no fraps, trixxx and PB is updated now, so let's see if it all works, memtest passed and all too, so glad it's not that.

19. mrbungle

I see could well be that then.

Try running without trixx but your cpu on its everyday overclock.

Should confirm it :)

I run afterburner and havent seen this prob. Odd one.

20. RedDethX

I re-installed PB, disabled fraps/trixxx and everything seems to be running fine for now, which is nice cause usually within 15-30 minutes it'd just die. Hopefully that was the problem. :) Thanks for the replies, I shall return if it freezes again.