1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 screenshots hit the Web

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. b0ng0

b0ng0 Reddomitlum

It looks like... Windows 7. With Office 2010 menu stylings. Hm, don't know what I was expecting to be honest :eyebrow:.

3. billysielu

billysielu Minimodder

Doesn't show much... which I guess is a good thing - Windows 7 is still brilliant.

4. james888

james888 What's a Dremel?

I am really not looking forward to windows 8 because I have heard it will be partially in the cloud. I do not like the idea of that. I know it will have to have a way to not be in the cloud... espcially if there is no internet. I really dont like the ribbon interface either. I still use old office 2003 paritally for that reason.
    If microsoft takes on the faster development process from browsers, though not as fast, will we get a significant discount with it? We should because not many will buy windows 8 if they just bought windows 7 six months before.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Why the hell are they releasing Windows 8 so soon after 7 - its a quality OS and should be given a fair run like XP!

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

2000 was a good OS, XP was released pretty early to cut it off.

Windows 7 is working very well for me. i don't think i'll be getting '8 when it comes out.

unless there's a really good feature on Win8, such as ability to not use the stupid GFWL on my games.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

If the Ribbon interface isn't optional I'll be sticking With Win7 until it gets the ol' yeller treatment like XP. I cannot ****ing stand the Ribbon interface.

Chances are I'll be sticking with 7 either way, in fact; Unless 8 is dirt-cheap and has some killer new features that we haven't heard of yet. There's far too much competition in the OS space from Linux these days for a minor update to a minor update to Vista to be a compelling purchase.

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Am I the only one who actually quite like the Ribbon interface? It gives a great overview.

9. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Im not really fan of windows in general only use it so i can play games. I feel OSX is generally a better and more stable OS. Also its based on BSD which i love more than anything. But windows 7 is generally ok. it does the job and lets me play my games which is all i want to do. Hopefully windows 8 carries on continuing to improve and isn't another vista disaster.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

just hope it comes out before my MSDN sub runs out :)

I didnt like ribbons at first but forced myself to use them for a month and now prefer them

people who say they dont like them i attribute to parents saying what do you need 1000 channels for we only had 4 in our day
    or to people saying what do you need a 50" screen for

Microsoft will have pumped tonnes of money into researching them and the usage habits and will have determined them to be quicker / more useful

(the ribbons on office save me tonnes of time when formatting)

11. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I think a lot of companies will stick with Windows 7, especially those with in-house software.
    Ours was written for 2000 and (as luck would have it) runs on XP too.
    Now they're re-writing it for Windows 7. That costs a lot of money, so I imagine we'll be keeping Windows 7 for the best part of a decade.
    Unless of course Windows 8 is just a minor upgrade. Just as most Win2000 drivers/software worked with XP, and some Vista drivers/software worked with 7.
    I myself will be sticking with Windows 7 as I have no need to ugrade, so any cost of a new OS would be a waste for me, especially in the current financial climate.

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

It works (or can work) quite well in Excel/word once you get used to it but I am not so sure about applying it to windows explorer style windows. Judging by the screenshots above it takes up alot of vertical real estate which on 16:9 monitors (especially laptops) could be an issue.

13. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

M$ needs to get businesses off WInXP/IE6.

Win8 isn't the answer.... although I suspect M$ fears Win7 is too good in an XP type of way.

l3v1ck likes this.
  14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Yep. I can't stand it. It's much harder to find some of the options I want now.
    +1

15. Lazy_Amp

Lazy_Amp Entry AMD Engineer

Yeah, unless there is drastic improvement in performance (unlikely since I doubt they've bothered to update the pretty darn good 7 Aero GUI), I'm predicting a hold off of many Bit-Techers to update.

Agreed xaser04, the reason I switched to Chrome real early was because of the very minimal space the vertical UI took up. On Netbooks with constant Ribbon you could barely see anything.

16. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Ugh.

I'm not a fan of ribbon GUIs, and thus if it really does look like that then I'll stay with Windows 7. It does seem as though Windows 8 = Windows 7 + Slightly changed GUI + A few new features which I probably won't use, which isn't much incentive to upgrade :)

17. rollo

rollo Modder

Most companies still use windows xp to this day, and that's not likely to change just cause windows 7 8 9 whatever brings more un needed features

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm using Windows 7 and the first thing I did was to do away with AeroUI and setup good old WinClassic-UI. Classic-UI simply uses less space and doesn't distract as much as these fancy shaded and coloured UIs. Square, thin and 50% grey is what I want.

All this new features are a total waste and actually don't offer anything of improvements. I'm not using the main-menu anyways most of the time but only keyboard-shortcuts or the right-click-menu.

19. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

A lot of people hating on good software-design progress in here. Makes me sad.

Although I do love the Ribbon interface, and think it's a high-quality design choice from Microsoft (and thought so in 2006 when I used the Office beta) I agree with sentiments here that it could be too much if it's enabled by default on every file browser window.

Judging by the current screenshot though, it looks like it's just tacked on at the moment - the colours are different and the standard thin toolbar is still there underneath. Probably an [Alt] function?

20. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Hmmm, intresting.

The ribbon interface though, bleurgh... sorry I just can't bring myself to like it, no matter how hard I try.

I use Win7 Professional at home and it's fantastic, I've broken it once in 12 months I believe. Solid, Sturdy and Smart.

Tags: Add Tags