1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Anonymous threatens Sony

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Apr 2011.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

They replaced the very poor Sony Connect software with the 'functional' Sonicstage which is still available today

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Attacking PSN was the computer equivalent of lorry drivers doing a "go slow" on motorways during the Sept 2000 fuel protests. It only inconvenienced the general public and not the people they were protesting against.

3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL anonymous its clearly Stephen Hawking

4. alf-

alf- Minimodder

a bunch of pretend "hackers" VS Sony ( a multi billion dollar multinational company, that has vast sums of money and dedicated personnel)

i wonder how this will turn out.....

i guessing just like every other attack anonymous has made, Sony will experience some annoyance, maybe a few websites will go down, but within a few days it'll be over and anonymous will be nowhere to be seen.

case in point, look at MasterCard, they were attacked by anonymous, but look at MasterCard now....yep operating perfectly normally.

anonymous like to make a song and dance towards theirs actions, they pile on the grandeur, but in the end they accomplish nothing, well apart from pissing of the customers.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

That's a truly terrible video. At least the Scientology-related ones had a neat stock-footage-Microsoft-Sam untraceable look to them. The strings and the shoddy cuts from V for Vendetta are robbing this of whatever credibility it might otherwise have had.

6. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

i'd go with "d" rated

7. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Stop treating 'anonymous' as an organization!
    That is all.

8. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

lmao like a saw movie.

9. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

Interesting point of view. Don't protest because it's pointless. Personally I think that if you feel strongly about something you should protest whether you have any chance of achieving results or not.

As for Anonymous never achieving anything...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/8280895/What-is-behind-the-end-of-ACSLaw.html

ACS Law are now dead. The owner faces massive fines and being struck off as a solicitor. The whole scheme is pretty much dead in the UK for every company.

A big result for a lot of people who have been wrongly accused and fleeced.

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Holy Shizzle, you're right!

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Wasn't the PS3 hacked in the first place to unlock the ability to install and run a Linux distro that Sony themselves withdrew?

If I had purchased a PS3 and one of the reasons for that purchase was the ability to have Linux on there, I would be pissed as well.

Pissed off enough to fire bomb the local Sony Centre? No, not really. However, I would go and give the acting manager in charge of the store a good talking to.

12. alf-

alf- Minimodder

i'm not against protesting, i never said i was.

i am against anonymous and their actions, what they do isn't protesting.

As for the link you posted, i fail to see how anonymous made much difference, the article itself even implies that, it shows ACS as incompetent, how ACS couldn't show evidence of effectiveness and how WHICH? had received hundreds of complaints from falsely accused people.

if anything the article just shows ACS as destined to fail, anonymous didn't seem to have much affect on that,

13. dactone

dactone dact-one

sony are just as bad as apple :)

14. dactone

dactone dact-one

also havn't these kids got anything else to do? get outside its sun shining:)

15. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Hmm interesting
    Standing up for your rights is always good, the trick is not looking like a complete knob while doing it.

16. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

OtherOS would still be here today if people would have played within the restrictions of the security. Hypervisor limited hardware access by Linux on the PS3 to protect the console from piracy. When it was compromised; otherOS was removed to maintain the integrity of the primary feature on the PS3 which is video games.

http://rdist.root.org/2010/01/27/how-the-ps3-hypervisor-was-hacked/

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

You know that episode of South Park where Cartman can't stop laughing at the midget no matter how serious the midget is being? Even when the midget gives Cartman a bit of a kicking? I won't stop laughing at Anon for being dumbasses, even if they did end up bringing down Sony!

18. Deders

Deders Modder

Umm so you're comparing yourself to..... Cartman?

19. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

+1 to the Sony boycott - I've had good service from the Sony hardware I purchased (and still use) a decade ago but I will not spend a single penny more on such an arrogant and hypocritical collection of control freaks (most recently I decided against picking up a Hail of Bullets album when I found it was released by Sony Music).

Any Firefox users wishing to boycott them on the music front may find the RIAARadar plugin useful (though it doesn't always give right results).
    The exposure of ACS' database, including the details of people accused of copyright infringement, put ACS in likely breach of the Data Protection Act (cue extended wrist slapping from the Information Commissioner) and the publication of their emails provided significant evidence (which may or may not have been admissible in court) about the dubious quality of their litigation.

ACS would very likely have failed in court without Anonymous' help, but they can take credit for putting ACS in the clapper sooner.

A more significant feat was the exposure of the techniques and tactics used by HBGary Federal. As well as removing an unsavoury operator, Anonymous' actions here have provided solid evidence for any concerned about the activities of private security firms, compounded by their hiring of ex-government intelligence officers.

20. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Hmmmm, I'm sure there's another company out there which those words remind me of...

Tags: Add Tags