1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Garry's Mod error catches 2,500 pirates in 15 hours

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Apr 2011.

1. Sankia

Sankia What's a Dremel?

By the way, the same day I installed Spore, my HDD crashed and I had to reinstall, using 2 of 3 installs in 1 day!!!! FML!

2. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

I don't agree with that. It's not about what bit-tech thinks, it's an article about the developer and what he thinks and is quoted saying. I didn't get that implication from what bit-tech wrote at all.

3. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Again, Gary was quoted saying he knows every pirated copy wasn't a lost sale and that he used to pirate himself. He's also not a big software company but a one man developer. There was no horrific DRM mentioned in this post. Gary just put some code in that would catch out the pirates and give a nod to the good folks who actually paid for the mod.

4. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

Hm...unfortunately, greed is a large driving factor in the world. From the sounds of things, you pirate everything, for almost any reason.

5. sWW

sWW Minimodder

Keyword in bold

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

EDIT: sWW ninja'd me by an hour, I shouldn't leave the page open so long :lol:

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I was simply doing the math so you don't have to. If I'd flatly said that it was 'equal to £15K in lost sales', you'd have a point. As it is, I don't say that. I say potential lost sales. I think it's pretty clear what that means without making sweeping arguments which are just as flawed as the points you made.

For example; if you're saying 'But you don't know if all 2500 people would have bought the game!', can't I just turn around and say the opposite with equal fairness? Can't you just see that the meaning is clear and that the £15k figure is a handy way of further explaining the problem?

8. Odini

Odini What's a Dremel?

I always find that it is rather comical these kinds of debates.

Whilst it is very true that every copy pirated does not equate to a lost sale, it does (in my opinion) lead to a mentality of "it's OK if I 'acquire' a copy as I wouldn't have paid for it anyway so I'm not hurting the developer"

If you cannot afford something, you cannot have it. Unfortunately, it really is that simple. All other arguments such Try before you Buy are again, in my mind, not valid. It is up to the developer as to whether they add this feature.

As has been said countless times before, if you disagree voice your concerns to the developer, do not take something that you have no right to.

9. rinseout

rinseout What's a Dremel?

What is the point of Garry's mod?

10. Xir

Xir Modder

It's a nice joke, and If you turn up in the Forums moaning about it, while it's openly announced and discussed, you're not just a pirate, you're a stupid pirate:D
    That said, if the "Regular" version doesn't have this, there'l be a patch pretty soon.
    After LOL's were had, I presume.

Still don't get why pirated versions run over steam though.

11. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

I got mine in a steam sale so it was a lot cheaper than £6.

12. leslie

leslie Just me!

No, it isn't.
    If there is zero chance of them paying, then there is no missed or "potential" sale.

It's not a loss in any way. In fact, it can actually lead to sales by spreading the word about how cool the product is, but if they never plan to pay for it, then it was never a potential sale. It doesn't matter if it's $1 or $1500, some people refuse to pay for software.

13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    "zero chance of them paying"? Are you nuts?
    The majority of those parasites would buy the game if they couldnt freeload it.

14. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Well the majority of piracy is pretty much Asia and eastern block countries, I can tell you now most of them can not afford to pay 40 bucks for a game.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You can't say with any sort of proof that a single pirates would never purchase the software, let alone all 2,500 of them, there is no "zero chance". What you can say with proof is that all 2,500 pirates had a desire to use the software. Where there is a desire for a product there is a potential for a sale.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The standard piracy (guys in a corner selling DVDs), probably.

17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, it's a very grey area. You can't say with any accuracy that none of those people who pirated the game would have bought it, just like you can't say that they're all lost sales. The real figure most likely lies somewhere in between.

I also get the feeling that some people try and use this excuse as a way of saying that piracy is OK and it doesn't really matter whether you pirate something or not...

18. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I'm near certain that some people, whom, if not given the choice to pirate would then buy the product. Therefore it is a potential sale. You don't honestly believe that out of the 2,500 people not one of them is just trying to save money?

19. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

20. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

I have to confess that I pirate quite often. Just yesterday I went to this pizza-place. There was a discarded tabloid on a table so I grabbed it and read it through. I never gave the creators a dime! I weep myself to sleep.

Tags: Add Tags