1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 screenshots hit the Web

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Apr 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I would like to remind everyone that:
    - Windows 8 is in the works as we speak.
    - Microsoft still experiment things.
    - Check out some features that did not make it to Win7 for example: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/79-8-windows7-design-mix09.html
    Expect the same with Win8, some feature to be removed for the better.

Here are some other picture in my Win8 thread:
    [​IMG]

Win8 Setup (running under Win7)
    [​IMG]

Win8 log-in screen:
    [​IMG]

Black screen of Death:
    [​IMG]

2. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

While I realise that development on new versions of Windows is a continuing process, I found it annoying that Microsoft were talking about Windows 8 even before Windows 7 was finalised. It gives the impression that the current version of Windows will be superseded sooner rather than later.

Am I interested in Windows 8?

Well, yes and no. Yes because ultimately it will replace Windows 7 and, no, because I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7 and don't feel that a new version will offer anything above and beyond what I have now. Windows 7 replaced Vista, which lets face it was a bloated operating system if ever there was one. Windows 7 was a streamlined non-beta version of Vista really and I cannot see Windows 8 topping it. I believe Windows 7 will become as popular as XP was and, for all we know, Windows 8 might be a step backwards and become the next Vista!!!

And I hate those ribbons anyway. I've used Office 2003 at work and the user interface is a cluttered mess IMO compared with Office 2000. Horrible. If Windows 8 is going to be like that then I'm happy to put off buying it for as long as possible!

3. GoodBytes

Then you would HATE computer hardware company. While a new GPU is out (or wtv hardware product you look at), at that moment of release. Already the company is finishing the next product, and I don't mean the lighter version... no no no.. I mean the new generation.
    Basically, at the moment ATi released the Radeon 6000 series, they are MAYBE 75-80% done with the 7000 series. Once done, it passes into debug stages, and then driver polishing, and then it stays in the company shelf, until they see a need to release it (same story for Intel, Nvidia, and the rest). Very rarely that is not the case. When it's not the case, it's because the competition released a better product hurting the company sales and market share, so they quick release the card/chip.

In other words, if you are an engineer working there... it's got be hard to buy a product when you know what you are working on is SO MUCH better.

I believe the ribbon bar is great, it really made features unknown, known to the user. In addition, the ribbon bar is customizable from Office (2010), so you can make your own tab, put it first, and put YOUR most used features/options.
    HOWEVER, I believe the ribbon bar can be annoying on programs with few features. Hence, why I don't think I'll be happy with Win8.

BUT, it made me think. Perhaps the ribbon bar on folders, is not a default option. What I mean, is that it is perhaps designed for Tablet's, where you on;y have your index. No right-click per say, that is easy accessible. In which case, it would make sense.

4. GoodBytes

Windows 8 Login system in action Looks very fast:

5. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I'm very happy with 7. Unless they do something under the hood that makes Windows run significantly faster and more efficiently, I'll sit out the next generation I think.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Nope, actually it's released as soon as possible, just to keep up with the race.
    Todays semiconductors are working prototypes, really, hot from the press, let's hope they work till noone cares anymore.
    We are talking slightly in front of the cutting edge of technology here, the magical term is "Risk-Production" :D
    Well, maybe not at Intel at the moment...they might have a shelf or a drawer or something. But seeing the recent P68-B2 disaster...I doubt it.

7. Hashime

Hashime What's a Dremel?

I am actually a fan of the ribbon interface. It took me over a year to really figure it out, but now that I get how they are laid out it saves me a ton of time. Especially when using my tablet for notes.

Now all I need to do is figure out the ribbons in AutoCad 2010. I am still lost in that program. (I learned with 2007 LT).

8. GoodBytes

9. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Is that 'ton of time' gonna ever equal the year you took to figure it out? Break even, if you will!

Tags: Add Tags