1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Radeon HD 7000-series rumoured for May production

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

As the weeks go by I find myself wondering if AMD will create some kind of simultaneous release of Bulldozer and a new series of discrete GPUs, or if the emphasis will be on the GPU capabilities of the APU when that time comes.

It'd be a hell of way to drum up hype and allow retailers to offer special AMD bundles of CPU, Mobo and GPU for the release.

This stemmed from wishful thinking that Bulldozer itself would see release in coincidence with the rumoured 7-series. :p

3. Xyllian

Xyllian What's a Dremel?

That would be pretty awesome, new bulldozer processor, new 900series chipset with built-in usb 3.0 and a pair HD7970 cards for some pretty sick performance at a nice launch price. Idea me likes.

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Possible HD6990 performance without any potential CF issues.... where do I sign?

More importantly I hope that with the launch of the HD6670 / HD6570 and HD6450 we will start to see the equivilant discrete mobile GPU's appearing in mid range laptops (preferebly 14" replacing the HD5650m - my ideal M11x replacement).

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

A single GPU 7970 with 3000 stream processes would simply destroy anything on the market now - especially if it launched at 6970 pricing (circa £310)

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

While I look forward to new high-end cards I'm also very interested in the lower end of the scale. PC gaming needs those £100-and under cards that perform well, are single slot and don't require addition power. I have 2 mates that have jumped to consoles the last year as they find themselves priced out of the market with their poxy dell BTX cases.

The sooner we get a repeat of something like the 8800GT the better.

7. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

Same architecture, higher clock speeds, more stream processors, smaller fabrication... I think the cards will show a much bigger a leap in performance than the HD 5870 to HD 6970 did myself but I doubt it'll be astounding nevertheless.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Could be a nice card and the high end single GPU will undoubtedly be faster than the NVIDIA GTX 580 but AMD are going to have to improve those, IMO, lacklustre drivers significantly if they want my money. Proper per-game profiles a la NVIDIA would be nice too.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wouldnt that be fantastic if AMD was able to do a double wammy and have bulldozer and Radeon 7 serious come out at the same time to stump the competition, that would help the market immensely and well would be pretty neat to see.

9. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I hope that means Nvidia will be switching to 28nm soon too. After all they both use TSMC to manufacture their chips.
    A nice bit of competition is just what we need to keep going.

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

It'd probably be 3000 stream processors and a 20-30% overclock from the previous generation as well.

11. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

How many ppd inMW@Home ?

dunx

12. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Really? Come on, the performance "increase" between a 5870 and a 6970 was awful, the lowest we've ever seen between "generations" when it comes to AMD/ATi graphics. Of course going to 28nm will be a massive performance increase, realistically they didn't have much to work with while still on 40nm.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

*groan* this AMD driver myth is incredibly boring. You say this as if nVidia don't have driver problems, whereas AMD do, and no, anecdotal evidence isn't valid either "Well I had problems with my AMD card, but my nVidia one was fine, AMD drivers suck" isn't valid.

I find it really hard to understand why people keep propagating this myth as if it's true, it's never aluded to in any sort of "professional" capacity, review websites don't mention it, they seem to get on fine with AMD and nVidia drivers equally well, yet there's people on forums pretending AMD drivers never ever work, ever.

Another thing, people need to learn the difference between what a driver is, and what a control panel is, I understand completely people preferring a control panel, like the way (when using SLS/multiple monitors) nVidia's let you choose, in pixels how much bezel compensation you want to use, whereas with AMD you've got to mess around with the stupid on screen triangles and a straight edge, I know how many pixels equate to the size of my bezels, just give me the option to set that! However, that's not a "driver problem" as some people might suggest, and if people learnt the difference, maybe we'd see less people making such claims.

Sloth likes this.
  13. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

28nm will probably be the start of us regularly seeing 1Ghz GPUs as standard with the upper end cards. It seems completely plausible considering the clock speeds of the current top end cards.

14. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Rumor has it that AMD are moving over to Global Foundries. I'm not sure if nVidia would be allowed to, or even allow themselves to really, even if it was for the better (as TSMC is junk and they need to sort their crap out).

15. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

Cool, bring on HD 7990 :p

16. REMF

REMF What's a Dremel?

2048 shaders as a minimum.

17. Acanuck

Acanuck What's a Dremel?

What happened to the 32nm of the 5770? I thought that was the next step.
    Going from 40nm to 28nm should have some excellent results!

18. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

TSMC screwed 32nm up.

19. Malfrex

Malfrex What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised no one had mentioned the fact the new dies being pushed out might not be the rumored 7000 series but might actually be the chipset for the Wii 2/Super Wii/Wii 128/Wiiii/*insert another name* that is being rumored to be announced at E3 this year. I'm all for improved PC graphics, but I'm sure AMD/ATI would still want to hold onto that market as Nintendo made them a buttload of money since the Wii came out. Also with the requirements for HD video playback and other "general" non-gaming applications I could see them also pushing new APUs for pico systems for home media boxes with passive cooling.

20. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

MYTH????

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1559534&highlight=uvd

The fix for that particular UVD powerplay issue is to.... flash your vbios. I know, I had to do it myself. Sorry, but its a pretty big black mark against ATI.

Tags: Add Tags