1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice First time gaming rig

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thesickness, 16 Apr 2011.

1. thesickness

thesickness What's a Dremel?

Time to bin the xbox and move onto pc gaming this is my build atm that i will buy within the next month or 2

Budget:1500-2000 GBP
    Main uses of intended build:Gaming online and offline,streamng and downloading music and films
    Parts required:all
    Previous build information (list details of parts):none
    Monitor resolution: 1920x1080
    Storage requirements:not sure
    will you be overclocking: yes
    Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):for SLI

Computer Case Antec 1200 V3
    CPU Intel Core i7 2600K Unlocked (4 x 3.4 GHz) 8MB
    CPU Heatsink Corsair Hydro Series H50 V2 (Advanced Liquid Cooling)
    Memory Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (2x4GB)
    Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 - 1536 MB - (EVGA) (PCI-E)
    Motherboard Asus P8P67 (Intel P67) - B3
    Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 (PCI)
    Power Supply 850W Coolermaster Silent Pro M, Modular, 80 PLUS Bronze
    Hard Drive #1 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-III Western Digital (WD1002FAEX) - 64 MB - Caviar Black
    Optical Drive #1 LG (CH10LS20) 10x Blu-Ray Reader & 16x Dual Layer DVD +/- RW Writer - Black (SATA)
    Operating System #1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

looks like a pretty solid build there matey, but your spending all that money and NO SDD?
    MADNESS I SAY

as your not planning to build straight away you'll be able to hold of till the ocz vertex 3 ssd drive comes along http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...gb-s-ssd-mlc-flash-read-550mb-s-write-500mb-s

or even a crucial c300 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb...-sata3-6gbps-25-ssd-read-355mb-s-write-70mb-s

drop the gtx 580 for a 570

finally does that p8p67 asus board support sli and/or crossfire? if not, an 850w power supply is a MAHOOSSIVE waste of money. you'd be much better of, (if you don't want to do sli or crossfire in the future) on getting something like a 550w or 650w power supply, any of these would be good

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...bronze-85-eff-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-135mm-fan

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/580w...80-plus-bronze-88-eff-sli-crossfire-120mm-fan

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/525w...ze-88-eff-sli-crossfire-plus-free-twister-fan

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...bronze-85-eff-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-120mm-fan

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w...d-90-eff-sli-crossfire-20db-eps-12v-140mm-fan

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w...ld-93-eff-sli-crossfire-139mm-fan-dxxi-ready-!

granted most of those are not much cheaper than a massivley more powerful coolermaster unit. But I would vouch for all of those power supplies. xfx one is very good, I have one in my server, and I simply love enermax (as you may see from my sig), granted you pay a price premium on there products, but my god are they good. Also I know corsair to make excellent psu's and have seen many people use the nzxt hale series of power supplies

hope that helps and best of luck with the build.

edit: I'd also swap that caviar black for a samsung f3 1tb, for about £40 there a steal.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

For that budget you could do much better. I'd start with a better case for starters like a Silverstone Raven and seeing as you want SLI in the future get a Corsair AX850. Also Corsair H70 cooling, 1600MHz rated memory and a better sound card would see you well on the way to a premium build. Like thetrashcanman said, get a SSD. For the money your throwing at the system a Vertex 3 120GB for the operating system and a Crucial 256GB C300 for game installs would do you proud.

4. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
  5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

The F1's a good idea. also go for 1600mhz, it's the same price as the 1333mhz stuff.

6. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Have you got the monitor?

If you're considering SLI in future, it's the Pro version of that mobo which supports it.

Also, with that kind of budget Id want a 120gb SSD for my boot drive - the latest generation have just in fact been released (I have a Corsair F60 second generation SSD and its amazing coming from hdd's), so if you had the money you could get something like the OCZ Vertex 3, but its pricey (£228) but will have even faster random read and write speeds than the previous generation of SSD's (if you dont want to spend that amount you could get one like mine or the Crucial C300).

7. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Note that Intel (AMD has same policy) warranties their CPU that comes with a supplied cooler as a unit. The use of a 3rd party cooler is against the terms of the warranty.

8. techb

techb What's a Dremel?

great rig specification

i had something very similar in my mind as well

i want to ask somehting here

im buying same cpu intel i7 2600

but i wasnt buying addtional cooling, was just gonna use the standard fan which comes with cpu

so does this cpu do need additional better cooling or it will just do fine with normal fan comes in the box.???

thanks

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Buy an additional HSF - it'll cool far better and much quieter too if you're serious about OCing. Who cares if you technically "void the warranty"? No one will ever know. All overclocking and overvolting is technically voiding the warranty because it's at a users own risk but as long as you're not silly with the voltage you'll be perfectly fine. If it was such an issue the aftermarket heatsink market would be a fraction of what it is. ;) A decent Gelid Tranqillo is £25. Barg!

If you don't use software that needs 8 threads then save your pennies and go for the 2500K. :) Spend it on that SSD instead!

As for SLI - go for the Pro. You'll also get DIGI+ VRM which will help eek out that extra overclock :thumb: and it'll give you a half dozen more tweaking options for fun too :) I did an overclocking guide here (http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2651695#post2651695) which covers all the UEFI BIOS options in depth.

10. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

yup, SSD is a must, 2600k is pointless, p67 pro and 2x5850's or 560Ti's, Bitfenix survivor case?? asus xonar soundcard and a tranquillio.

Now you're talking!! Alternatively, just hand over your cash to me and have my sig rig :)

11. WiryRocketeer

WiryRocketeer Minimodder

If you have enough money, Purchase a custom watercooling kit, so you can overclock that CPU past 4.2GHZ. A good kit is this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ek-kit-h3o-supreme-lt-120-intel-cpu-using-10mm-fitting-water-cooling-kit

What I have recently purchased!

It reduces your temps a lot more than those silly watercooling kits that are no better than your standard air coolers. Its double the price, but well worth it in my opinion, and then you could add a GPU block to the circuit aswell!! Also, don't downgrade the GPU, always spend the most money on that! :D

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think you'll find that you do not watercooling for a 4.6GHz+ overclock with Sandybridge...

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've had 4.8GHz on air. Noisy air, but it worked. 4.5GHz can be had on a quiet air setup easy. If you're pushing to max the chip out at 5.2GHz with crazy volts then you should use water.

That's a nice kit price though - I'd like to see that reviewed! :thumb:

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Does look nice :)

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

only a 120 rad tho, i wonder if they do a 240 version? im tempted by that i must admit

EDIT: yes they do just go back a level on scan

16. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

And 360 too :)

17. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

I disagree with that advice completely. Who cares? You may not, but someone who just forked over a bunch of their hard earned money might. At the very least, users should be aware of the terms of their warranties, and the consequences of violating those terms.

As far as no one knowing, that is not the point. I can run a stop sign and most likely get away with it too, but that does not make it right. And I note if you do use a 3rd party cooler or if you do overclock and something happens causing the CPU to fail, not telling Intel or AMD you did not use the product as specified (that is, as a unit, and with voltages as indicated on the products data sheet) then attempting to get a replacement under warranty is fraud by deception. A serious crime!

Since both AMD and Intel warranty their products for 3 years, they do not want to replace either the CPU or OEM fan within that period. Therefore, the OEM coolers are quality products fully capable of keeping your CPU cool, if used as directed. Note that most aftermarket fans are warrantied for 1 year only. And certainly, no cooler or motherboard maker is going to replace your CPU, if their fan or motherboard fails. And while there are quieter fans, the OEM fans are not too bad. In my experience, with a good case, it is more likely any fan noise you hear will be from the graphics card or PSU fan.

It is the responsibility of the case to extract the heat. Therefore, IMO, the best solution is to use the OEM HSF assembly and a quality case equipped with large (120mm or larger) fans capable of providing good front-to-back flow through the case. If you do choose to overclock and/or use an 3rd party fan, understand and accept the consequences should something go wrong.

18. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

To the above poster:

Your really incorrect in your analysis. If over clocking really was a terrible sin and Intel would love to stop it they would not be profiting hugely by selling chips which are purposely unlocked to allow you to over clock them, or allow chipset partners to sell mobos which have over clocking as standard. The only reason it voids your warranty is to stop people suicide running their chips then getting a replacement. If you want to fit in on Bit-Tech, I suggest you stop the OC rage.

[PUNK] crompers likes this.
  19. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Sorry. But it is you who are wrong.

And note, I am not analyzing anything. I am simply stating the facts as spelled out in our Intel and AMD warranties. I am just the messenger here.

Who said that? I never said anything of the sort! Please do not make stuff up, misquote or twist other people's words around. It is not cool. :(

There are race tracks in many towns. Many car makers advertise at race tracks. If you take your brand new Porsche to the race track, over rev and blow up the engine, do you really think Porsche is responsible to replace the engine? It is not going to happen. Nor should it. You abused the engine. You used it in a manner that was not in compliance with the warranty. Is it a sin to race on a race track? Of course not. But don't blame Porsche, or try to deceive Porsche in to replacing the engine you abused.

It is not your place to say what is, or is not right to "fit" in here. I could care less if I fit in or not. My goal is to ensure readers know the truth and have all the necessary information to make an informed decision that is best for them. If someone wants to OC or use a 3rd party fan, fine. That is their business and I will help them do it - but part of helping is to point out all the factors that matter.

And for the record, CPU designer do NOT design in overclocking. They design to specs, or to the limits of the raw materials and manufacturing techniques. It is the marketing weenies who tout overclocking abilities.

And I say again, even though ASUS or Gigabyte, etc. may include OC features in their boards, ASUS is not going to replace your CPU if something happens and it is attributed to overclocking.

20. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Digerati, almost everyone on these forums overclock and most of them use aftermarket coolers, in fact most of us are pretty proud of our aftermarket cooling set ups.

Yes it is possible to blow out a CPU by overclocking/volting but tbh you'd have to be trying pretty hard to do it, and yes it does shorten the lifespan of the component but tbh i run my cpu at a voltage lower than stock, I would imagine anyone with a 4ghz or less OC will be able to, so theoretically I am extending the life of the component. Also, I buy this stuff to play with it, customise it, try and get the most out of it. I don't expect it to last for ever, in fact I've never had a CPU die before I've wanted rid of it and I've been overclocking a few years now. Tbh the component most likely to die in my experience is the mobo, and as long as its within warranty they will replace it because it was just doing its job (they put the options in the bios).

You may have an attitude towards hardware that it should be put in the case and forgotten about but a lot of us here spend time playing with our systems to get the most out of them. That's our hobby and its kind of the point of this forum.