1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Usonian

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 17 Feb 2011.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

2. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I need a break today. My jaw hurts really bad. You gotta find me a doctor as I have to keep watching this awesomeness...

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i don't normally go in for wood cases, but it is rather nice. some good arts and crafts elements in there, with a bit of stickley and a touch of modernisim. kind of a shame you had to paint it though i think a nice deep stain would have been a better way to go.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2011
  4. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks! I appreciate that.

Thank you Wayne.

I made John speechless! High praise indeed. Thanks buddy.:thumb::thumb:

LOL You're a nut Alex. Thanks.

FLLW was a pioneer of modernism so I guess a resemblance is a good thing. I don't do stains. Hate the stuff. Reminds me too much of fake boobs.

A few of my favorite Frank Lloyd Wright art glass designs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I present these because I'm going to try to emulate some of this stuff in my back panel design.

[​IMG]
    I noticed that the back of a computer is a collection of varied geometric shapes that could represent the individual panes of an art glass design...with a little help of course. Here I start the first of three layers that will become my framework.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Almost finished the second layer before I ran out of material. Damn.

[​IMG]
    The most complex shape is my 120mm circle. I carved all three layers out of a sheet of 1/16" basswood using my trusty Japanese razor knife.

[​IMG]
    The circle is made from 14 pieces of wood. This is a photo of the backside showing the formed (not cut) support notches. The half-notch closest to you allows it to rest slightly on a cross piece..

[​IMG]
    Here it is dry fitted for a photo. About 70% complete.

Thanks for looking!

5. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow Im really loving this, great work.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Gorgeous addition to the back end :).

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

This is looking fantastic! Can't wait to see how you implement the coloured glass designs - certainly a new theme for slipperyskip projects!

8. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks guys! :thumb:

Thanks Antony. No actual colored glass in this one. I considered doing the entire project in art glass but I decided to leave that for another day. :D However, the art glass designs themselves can be translated into other things like laser-cut wood panels and stencils. Below is my new FLW nightlight which was originally a concrete block pattern.

[​IMG]

And here's an example of a stained glass window design laser-cut into a wooden panel.

[​IMG]

My design won't be that complex but I'm hoping that it will look better than a stock back panel.

9. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Tell you what I love about your projects, is that is all done by hand, that to me is a true measure of skill . That alone makes it a 1000 times better that anything thats been whizzed out on a cnc machine.

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I like the layering on the 120mm circle. Smart and clean.

:thumb:

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Agreed but lets not let this turn into another debate as saying this type of truth tends to make debates happen in the wrong places :) (awesome project logs) I like all approaches from cardboard awesomeness to advanced work, but hand skill I really like as it's something the masses can attempt this style & with practice can get good.

Also do you only use hand tools skip, like not even power tools? :eeek::D blackout modding excellence :clap:.

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I appreciate the thought but I don't really agree with your conclusion. I wish I had a CNC machine to play with.

It was a difficult and fun piece to build. Thanks for noticing!

No power tools yet unless you count weighing a piece down with my cordless drill. :hehe:

[​IMG]
    Finalized the height of the roof supports and fine sanded each end to provide a flat level surface.

[​IMG]
    Added framing within the clerestory windows. The missing top portion of these windows will be glued to the bottom of the roof and become part of the roof alignment/attachment system.

[​IMG]
    Added a couple of faux support columns in the back to hopefully continue the window treatment around the back and tie the two sides together. Added the clerestory window moldings (unfinished) to make it all look like I know what I'm doing.

[​IMG]
    Posing with the grille. Interesting that the grille is offset. This is because of the case's ample space provided behind the motherboard for cable hiding. It shifts many components around including the top fans.

[​IMG]
    Clerestory windows posing with the roof on. Also trying out another color. This is called Lava Gray and is another color that FLLW used often in his designs.

[​IMG]
    I pieced together the lower roof by adding sections to increase the size. I then added edge pieces to increase thickness. I did this until I got the shape I wanted. I then cut the actual panel using the template I created.

[​IMG]
    This is how I cut panels. Trimming a half-inch off the edge was a little more challenging than usual.

[​IMG]
    Looking up under the balcony. I've started adding material to fill in the complete shape.

Thanks for looking.

13. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

[​IMG]
    Working on securing the table top. Turned everything upside down and positioned it. Cut a 1/4" square cleat.

[​IMG]
    Glued the cleat into postion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Cut additional cleats to fit between the columns and glued them in place. The red paint has been sanded and will stay in this rough condition until repainted at the project end.

[​IMG]
    Notice that they only cover half the distance across the column width.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The other half is made up of bridge pieces glued between the columns. I did this to make it easier to paint the upper window frames. The table top sets in place and is held on with a tight friction fit created by these interlocking pieces.

[​IMG]
    Cut out and test fit the front window. Painted the "balcony" the Covered Wagon color just to check it out.

[​IMG]
    Remember this piece I made two months ago? This is the back of the repositioned front panel.

[​IMG]
    A Bulgin power switch and a scavenged front panel port assembly will be mounted to it.

Thanks for looking.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ever so nice work skip :jawdrop::).

15. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thank you Wayne! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

[​IMG]
    First coat of paint on the clerestory windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mounted the front panel ports and power switch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There is final thin cover layer (veneer?) coming to tighten up the spacing around the ports.

[​IMG]
    Cutting pieces out and gluing up sections of the front grille.

[​IMG]
    Dry fitting of some of the grille. For you FLLW fans, the inspiration for this design is the front of the Coonley Playhouse.

[​IMG]
    The bottom section of the grille will get filled in once I have the case standing upright again and I can get a good look at the progress. Some temporary spacers are used here to help with alignment.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited: 29 Apr 2011
  16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Cool.:D That grille would look good with a wrap-around, floating bottom half. (Oh, the crazy combination-word speech is back!)
    I love the back cover. It's amazing what a single curve/diagonal can do to make something interesting.
    Thanks for the FLW inspired window inset post. I think I have a good Christmas idea for Mum brewing.
    -and, yes. I'd like to see what you would do with a CNC machine too.

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Cheaps. I don't know what that means but it sounds bitchin'. :thumb:

That was part of Frank's genius. He could make a mistake look like art.

[​IMG]
    Finished the second and third layers of the back panel design. Started to cut out the fan "circle".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Glued the backing panel on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Glued up the front grille parts. I still have a lot to do on the "case" corners to allow a better transition from front to side (to back).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The bottom of the grille will need some massaging.

Thanks for looking.

18. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

19. zeBriukas

zeBriukas What's a Dremel?

Awesome mod! Waiting for new updates! :)

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Love it :hip:.
    And this update was done filimon silent style :hehe:.

Also it's a shame this is the back end & might not be seen much, it's sooooo nice.