1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware NZXT Phantom Case Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 4 Aug 2010.

1. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Anyone ever bought or seen the red one of these, if so any feedback as in finish and look in its true form

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

If my Phantom black is anything to go by Mark it will be spot on bud :)

The build quality of mine is flawless :thumb:

3. Torin

Torin What's a Dremel?

Just found the White with red for £86 thank you for great review was sceptical but sounds great and being sub£90 cant be bad with that lovely gloss finish anyone know if finish attracts dust like some gloss

4. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

It is some time since the last posting on this . I have had the red version for some 4 months now and it is a very good case. It still has a problem when you try to fit a side 200MM fan which inevitably fouls on a tall CPU cooler or even the rad on my H50 Corsair CPU cooler. However these problems can be overcome. I fitted a 120 MM fan instead of the side 200 and that does a great job on the Nvidia 560 GPU. I also installed a second fan in the roof space and added a 120mm air penetrator fan to the front panel . It currently lacks USB 3 on the top panel but I believe this may be addressed on the next production run. The fan controls could be improved but the NZXT dual slot fan controller makes a good alternative It is heavy, it is big but system installing is a joy in the well laid out interior

5. Serious

Serious What's a Dremel?

I've been looking at one of these for quite a bit, and finally bought one. As it only just arrived these are first impressions.

The good bits. The design is very reminiscent of certain space based SF films and series, it certainly wouldn't look out of place on a Star Trooper's desk or that of the Alliance. It's as much a fashion statement as a gamer's tower case and could even be put forward as a work of art. It just looks right.

The mesh might look flimsy but it isn't, it will take a fair bit to damage it, although this obviously isn't intended as a lanparty case. The plastic front and top are easily removed but are strong and well moulded, the drive bays are easy to access and there is an incredible amount of room inside.

Then there is the bad bits. The catches for holding the case sides on is flimsy indeed. So flimsy that one of them broke before I got it. The problem is it's got a thin vertical bar which slides through a pair of supports, which doesn't support the mechanism at all well. If you regularly have your case side off for maintenance then be careful if you choose this. Breaking a catch isn't the end of the world though, you can use the top and bottom thumbscrews to secure the side still. It will just remind you every time.

A more minor thought is that in a case with so many tool free operations that there are thumbscrews holding the blanking plates and the sides on. I think they could have gone that little bit further, especially at this price point and put in full tool free assembly - even if it pushed the price up a little.

There is also no tool free 2.5" SSD bay, which could be a pain for those who want to use them. A spare plastic tray for this would have been a nice addition.

Tags: Add Tags