1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Intel Stock HSF Replacement - Tall Memory Modules

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aron311, 18 Apr 2011.

1. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

Hey, I'm struggling to find a suitable CPU cooling solution for my new build. I previously used a Scythe Ninja Rev B but it wouldn't fit my new socket 1155 system because of the socket and (from what I can see) the height of the RAM modules, being about half a cm taller than the Intel HSF itself.

I'm after the quietest and most effective HSF I can find here without spending more than about £40.

I was just going to stick with the standard Intel solution but when I'm gaming on the new Gigabyte HD6870 things get pretty hot in there and whilst the graphics card stays pretty cool and quiet, the CPU fan goes nuts because it's air supply becomes pretty warm and it's cooling a 2500K (not overclocked yet).

I've just swapped the middle front air intake fan on my Antec P182 to a Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 which has slightly improved air flow to the graphics card and reduced noise. The loudest thing now is the CPU fan followed by the other 2 Tri-Cool case fans so it has to go!

Any help much appreciated!! :thumb:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Apr 2011
  2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

What temps is your cpu reaching with stock cooler? Have you tried running Asus AI suite which allows you to set a profile to your cpu fan, to make it only increase fan speed at a certain temp?

3. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

I've seen it go to about 65C whilst on Bad Company 2, I'm not sure if it touched 70 as I don't usually run the program to check but several times it's span up and sounded like a jet engine for a couple of minutes which pretty much made me decide to replace it.

A profile sounds like a pretty good idea to reduce the noise at idle but this thing has absolutely no room to overclock, also will that utility run on my Gigabyte board?

Cheers, A

Last edited: 18 Apr 2011
  4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

The coolermaster Hyper 212 should be fine, as far as I know it doesn't obstruct and of the memory slots.
    You could also move your RAM over to the other slots.

5. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Not sure. Give this a try;

http://almico.com/sfdownload.php

I've got a Titan Fenrir cooler, I'm on stock speeds and mine hits around 55 degrees c under load. Drat those vengence rams eh? Hear plenty of people complain about those heat spreaders. I'm sure there's a cooler that could accommodate you though. Best wait and see if someone else mentions one.

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

You could get a H50 of the marketplace - otherwise Scan has the Antec Kühler 620 up for grabs at 46£, which is a bargain - if you get a fair few more posts you should be eligible for free shipping too.

As for tower coolers - most of them obscure the RAM slots especially when you have tall RAM sticks. (I know the pain of it - I have OCZ Reapers)

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i know they're not popular anymore, but the zalman cnps 9xxx coolers would fit fine as they are barely wider than the socket.

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's a Gigabyte board right? If it's the GA-P67A-UD3-B3, then just move the RAM over to the two white slots. This configuration is actually recommended in the user manual as well as the use of both blue slots. So it reads to me as an either/or scenario and should have no impact on performance.

Swap the stock HSF for a Gelid Tranquillo using Arctic Silver 5 as TIM and you should see an appreciable reduction in temperatures and noise. Also a Scythe Gentle Typhoon (1850RPM) in the rear exhaust would help dump loads of hot air outside of the case and crucially the noise is not annoying like some fans! Not sure about the Gigabyte but on Asus P67 boards you can change the speed of all the fans as a collective. Dumping the upper HDD cage would help airflow in the Antec case as well.

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

11. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

Awesome thanks for the replies everybody! It's a GA-P67A-UD3-B3 yes and the case does have a top exhaust, I like these mini water coolers but I'm a bit worried the pump will create an annoying noise.

Right now I think the best solution is a Gelid Tranquilo, thanks Blogins! It looks like superb value, virtually silent, thermally very effective and has a 5 year warranty. :cooldude:

I think I'll also end up with more of the Sharkoon 1000's or the Scythe Gentle Typhoons as mentioned, possibly with a resistor cable to make them a bit less noisy.

12. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Instead of a resistor cable, invest in a fan controller. Zalman do some 6-channel ones which are very simple, but a joy to use. This way you can control all of the fans in your system :)

Oh - and hope you're not contemplating the resistor cables for your CPU cooler, you should just link that to the CPU fan header on your motherboard, and if you plan to use push-pull, get a fan splitter :)

13. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

dont worry about pump noise from a corsair water cooler. the pump on my h50 is completely silent (you can ONLY hear it if you take the case side off and hold your ear near the PC). my delta fan at 300 RPM, which is much quieter than most 120mm fans at their low speed, is still louder than the pump.

my 750 rig has a tuniq tower 120 extreme which cleanly clears my g.skill ripjaws ram with its imposing heat spreaders.