1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Portal 2 PC metacritic score sabotaged

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Apr 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Consolification? Wut?!! Looks like this term is being abused even more than "fragmentation" by the uninformed.

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its just about the most UN-consolificated game thats come out on multiple platforms recently...

Those guys must be huffing some pretty strong paint.

4. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

This'll be the same mob that were in the "Left 4 Dead 2 Boycott" group on steam, all of whom ended up buying it anyway...

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Don't forget the "Boycott MW2" mob - who all went and bought it anyway (except for me).

6. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman What's a Dremel?

Played 2+ hours last night and can't really say I agree with the protest at all. The ARG process (I liked it tbh, who can honestly complain at the price of the potato sack!?! AND we could play the game early!!!) was just extra fun, icing on the cake even.

The only console reference I found was the 'controller' options, yet this is actually an example of Valve incorporating consoles into the PC version.

I play in Eyefinity at some insane resolution, and I had no problems enabling this support - many games require hacks (sometimes these can be ultra hard to implement) and Valve's source engine is coded to and engineered to support it 'out of of the box' - I simply cannot fault them (even if the loading screens appear stretched - I can live with that!)

Also, although I'm only 2+ hours in, I am genuinely enjoying this game and am surprised at the way the puzzles have diversified beyond the mechanics of the original.

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

My thoughts exactly. This game is actually a beacon of hope amongst other sequels which were hit hard by 'consolification'.

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Consolification, are you bloody serious?

The game is simply sublime.

9. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

The save message says "Please don't turn off your console", which didn't bother me. Here is the official word from Valve:

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Hmm, let's play a game of spot the console port:

Crysis --> Crysis 2:

Smaller, less open levels
    Lower res textures
    Nerfed graphics options
    Nerfed control scheme and gameplay
    Auto-aim

Portal --> Portal 2

Improved graphics, textures, lighting, and water effects
    Much larger levels
    Same graphics options as all other Valve games
    Exactly the same gameplay mechanics and feel as the first game

Any ideas? I'm struggling myself.

If you have to look that hard for evidence of consolification, doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

Some people seem to have very strange and irrational forms of logic.

11. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

It's the cool word to shout at any big release these days.

****ing jokers, Portal 2 is sublime

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Bah, people will complain about anything. I think a fair bit of this must come from Valve somewhat spoiling gamers in the past with the orange box. HL2: Ep2, TF2 and Portal all for £25? Gabe, with these games you are spoiling us!

13. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

LOL it's like I wrote this post. I'm 2 hours in and playing on 3 screen setup (Nvidia) and it's ****ing awesome. Loving the game, very funny. The potato sack wasn't forced on anyone and was great fun. Felt very team spirited.

Excellent work valve. Shame on all these narrow minded fools. If they don't like the game that's fine but this hate attack is over the top and misplaced.

14. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I did kind of feel like there was a bit of catering to consoles tbh, though I wouldn't call it consolification.

The things that bothered me were the console-esque prompts to 'press E' to pull a level that obviously needed to be pulled, I would've liked a little delay to make it less obvious.

I also thought the puzzles weren't as hard as the first one - I remember getting stuck in Portal 1 a lot more, whereas the only times I got stuck in Portal 2 were things like trying to use gel or carrier beam things to get across to somewhere, when in fact all I had to do was portal myself there.

Still, I wouldn't call it consolificated at all.

15. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Loading times, lol.

My game loads (and saves) so fast I don't even see the screen where it says 'please don't turn off your console'. I only became aware of it when someone posted a screenshot.

Maybe it's a hint from Valve to upgrade your PC. ^_^

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I can't believe that people are complaining at the ARG/Potato Sack thing.

They're just hurt that they didn't get access to the game early (<- key word).

And who cares if it required people to buy unrelated games?

a) Not only were the games actually rather decent in the Potato Sack (i already owned quite a few of them anyways).

b) It's a simple case of not purchasing the games if you don't want to... not as if Valve is forcing you to buy them in order to release Portal 2.

c) In reality you didn't even have to buy the games to contribute, those that owned the games usually just left them on (at the request of a friend who had preordered).

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Same as in L4D/L4D2.

Well, i got stuck many times, but only at the 2nd part of the game (the really old test chambers) ;).

18. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman What's a Dremel?

I hear you on this point - I didn't see an option to turn off the hints, however, from my experience Portal found a whole new audience and it is possible that through feedback Valve decided to implement this hint system, perhaps anticipating a wider audience share for this game.

I know my g/f wouldn't have been able to play through the original without me explaining a few things - I hate to admit but we're one of those couples who got the valentine's pack... :p

19. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I really am starting to hate PC gamers.
    Sick to death of the constant whine.

20. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

Is consolification the word of the month!? Bloody hell, the loading screens take barely seconds, the attention to detail is great, the levels get massive further on in the game, the story is well written and the way they have updated the Source Engine is great! The textures and water effects are miles better than portal's were!

But oh well, leave the uniformed to rot whilst we all enjoy the game, eh?

Tags: Add Tags