1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows will no longer boot after the following...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Seabrook, 21 Apr 2011.

1. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

Hey,

First things first, spec:

i5 2500k
    ASUS P8P67 pro
    MSI GTX560 Ti Twin Frozr
    64gb Crucial C300 SSD - Boot Drive
    1TB Samsung HDD
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 600w
    Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Disk - Authentic

Now the story so far. So I installed Windows onto my SSD; no problems so far. I then began installing the drivers. First I installed my wireless card's driver; no problems. Then installed the graphics card drivers; again, no problems. Then I inserted the ASUS disk and clicked 'ASUS instALL' or whatever it is, it began going through and installing all the drivers as needed. Then it crashed when trying to install the blutooth drivers. So I had to restart the system and after I bit of playing around, got it to work again. It would then crash again, and again, so I tried a system restore and started installing the drivers one by one, manually. I only installed a few of the drivers this time, and decided I would install the rest later, when hopefully the system would be more stable. I then began installing the windows updates, while these were going the system again crashed. It then 'blue screened' on the next load up. So I allowed the memory to dump and to restart itself, and then it turned out that it wouldn't load Windows at all anymore. It would just a flash a dash at me continuously for eternity (probably).

So I inserted the Windows 7 Upgrade disk again and tried to repair it. No luck apparently this isn't the correct disk for this version of Windows :s - I presume this must be because I cheated and didn't use it as an upgrade disk.

It seemed my only option was to reinstall Windows - even though I didn't really want to have to for the sake of my SSD. So I reinstalled Windows again in the same manner. Everything was fine and dandy again, installed the drivers as I did before, and this time completely manually installed the drivers one by one. This time Windows decided to freeze while installing the USB 3.0 MotherBoard drivers. It then 'blue screened' when I tried to start up windows again, and now it is doing what it did before... completely refuses to load up Windows.

And here I am now... completely unsure on what step to take next. What do you guys think is wrong? Faulty SSD? Something I've been doing wrong? Hoping you might have the answer. I feel sick with stress at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Will

2. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Why would you install drivers from the disc you've been given, when windows 7 automatically searches for drivers when you're connected to the internet? Perhaps try it that way?

Sounds like it's either the ssd or the mobo, although probably the ssd.

3. Seabrook

Because my internet has been woeful for the past week or so. But I'll be patient I guess.

I guess I'll have to reinstall Windows onto the SSD again then...

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Only reason I mentioned it is because I've never needed the disc since w7, and bluetooth drivers arent exactly something you can't live without for a while. Get your system up and running with the basics and leave the rest of the stuff, raid, bluetooth etc drivers for later.

Seabrook likes this.
  5. Seabrook

Yeah that was my thinking the second time around. Windows has decided to boot since I unplugged the Samsung HDD, probably just a coincidence though. I then ran a system restore and it's automatically put it back to before any drivers had been installed. So I installed the wireless driver, and now it's running Windows Update, I'll just leave it and see if that stabilises things out. Cheers mate.

6. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

You shouldn't have problems performing a clean install with upgrade media, I've done it myself before without any issues.

Assuming that the problem is not related to the installation method then, you need to troubleshoot the hardware.

Are you able to boot into safe mode or will Windows not work at all?

The blue screen you get contains an error message. If you haven't done so already try to make a note of what it says as it will help diagnose the issue.

Seabrook likes this.
  7. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

ah we both posted at the same time... glad you've got some signs of life now anyway :)

On an unrelated note, nice avatar: Grim Fandango is awesome :thumb:

8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Dunno if this makes any difference but I've always removed any other drives when installing windows, just makes me feel a bit better lol, as I've made the mistake of formatting both drives before haha. Keep us posted :)

9. Seabrook

I know, I didn't think it would be a problem. But the second installation it caused some issues, because it was being set to drive 0 and the SSD was being set to drive 1. Windows didn't like that for some reason. I'll just leave the HDD completely disconnected until everything is updated and installed.

Yeah me too. Cheers for the advice though, the fact that I have been getting some blue screens may mean that they pop up again later on, but hopefully not. I'll write down what it says next time.

As for Grim Fandango - I miss all the old Lucas Arts games, nothing quite matches their charm these days. Telltale are the closest, but just not in the same way.

10. Seabrook

Just a quick update. After a lot of persistence and system restores, it's finally beginning to become quite stable. Think I've learned most of the quirks that have happened, and how to do deal with them. For example for some reason when I check for Windows Updates, while doing something else, everything locks up. I'll have to keep an eye on this incase it's a hardware issue, but it seems to be going fine other than that. Yet to give it any real stress yet though, so will have to see what happens when I get a game installed on it.

11. Seabrook

Final update as I believe I've fixed it now, and if this was to happen to anyone else they have a solution. So I believe the key problem was that I was using the Marvell 6gb/s sata port to plug the SSD into. Since then I've plugged into the Intel 6gb/s port instead, this seems to have stabalised things considerably.

Thank you both for your help. Always appreciated!

12. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I should have thought of that xD They do say be careful which sata port you connect your ssd to, (usually it's either number 0 or 1 that it's meant/not meant to be in).