1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Erratic frame rate with a GTX570 [ UPDATE IN FIRST POST ]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knuck, 3 Apr 2011.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Is there any way of determining the actual states of the GPU in real time, other than the general "GPU utilisation"?

Does any software monitor/report this?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Every Geforce series since the Geforce 2 has these power mode.

3. GoodBytes

@knuck, I hate saying this as it will make your GPU go at full speed all the time, which mean a bit more noise and heat (but that could be fixed with my in development software though, which I can provide to you (rick solid, just not completed). But one thing at a time, let's just see if it's PowerMizer the problem.

Use Nv GPU Pro (my tool, it's free), to disable Nvidia PowerMizer, to see if that helps solve your problem. I have PM'ed you the latest version of it, which works with all the drivers up to and including the 270 series. I have to release it, but I am busy with University (end of semester and everything).
    You can always enable it back with the same software, of course.

If it is PowerMizer the problem, then check for on MSI web site for the latest GPU BIOS version (Nvidia web site only has drivers.. no BIOS update).

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011
  4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Evga precison can tell you you clocks in game along with V-Ram and lots more.
    Might be worth installing a playing a game for a bit and check if the clocks drop.

Knuck, Did you disable your microphone input on your card along with your line in?
    I get a hissing when the aren't muted with my sound card.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011
  5. GoodBytes

Wait what? you too! What the heck!
    I can leave everything at max volume and not muted, and I still hear a clean non-hissing sound, weather I put my Geforce 6600GT, my 8800GT, or my GTX 260. This is strange. Either Creative went cheap-ass on the later model (as I have the original X-Fi rev 2.0 (now with heatsink to avoid overheating!)), or a motherboard thing (as I see both of you having an ASUS board).

6. murraynt

murraynt Modder

It's weird. Only when I have the Line in enabled though.

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It's been working fine all day even though I didn't change anything. I ... I don't get it. Black ops runs like crap though

8. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Exactly what card is it? Is it the overclocked MSI one with the GTX480 fan?

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

It's this card

For the record, the hardware has been out of the case for 24 hours now and the performance haven't dropped once and I haven't heard any interference...

[​IMG]

*now waiting for new case to arrive

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

What case was it in? If it throttles or goes down to it's low power clock due to heat a restart would be required so maybe that's where your problem is.

11. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Hissing in an otherwise clean audio channel can be a sign that there is RF interference and that can sometimes be caused by something as simple a grounding/earthing issue. This can also lead to overheating and other similar problems in audio and related cards.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

there may have been a grounding issue in the old case (a chieftech dragon clone btw) but the videocard was definitely not overheating. It's not any cooler outside the case , nor is it hot at all

13. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Much more likely that the audio card/circuitry will suffer heating problems from RF due to a grounding issue - you basically end up with electronics designed to amplify and control audio, trying to do the same with RF frequencies - it rarely has a happy outcome.... Earthing problems can be both quite subtle and also troublesome to nail.

14. Deders

Deders Modder

Could be a moving part resonating with the case, vibrations can travel through wiring

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

nah the sound it made was in sync with the movement of my mouse or animations rendered on screen

I'm still waiting for my case to arrive but, in the meantime, the pc has been performing fine for 48 hours now even though I did nothing :eyebrow:

The northbridge is extremely hot however since there is no airflow at all outside of a case. I don't like it but it'll have to hold on a few more days

Oh and I was surprised to find, when I plugged the 260 earlier this morning, that the 570 is actually louder than the 260. That sucks

16. Deders

Deders Modder

I used to get the same thing with my mouse when I increased the USB polling rate to 1000 but it disappeared after a few hours, does sound like bad earthing.

A discrete soundcard might help if it's coming from the speakers, try switching them off and seeing if that helps. I believe some of the Xonar range draw all their power from a floppy connector to eliminate any extra noise.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the sound problem first appeared in my earphones only (dedicated headphones output of my bravura x-fi) but, the last two days in the case, it was audible in my speakers as well. Interference makes sens because there was no weird sound when I used my receiver (all digital)

anyways this problem is gone for now :thumb:

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Fractal Design R3 XL is back order until next month. Damn !

I need to find a temporary solution and buying another case is not an option. I want to be the only guy in a 1000km radius to own this case :D

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

After 3 weeks of superb performance, the problem is back and, obviously, it's during a LAN party. Everything was perfectly smooth last night but, at 4 am, I turned off my PC for the night (which I usually never do). When I turned it back on this morning I saw immediately that the problem was back. I now have about 35% performance of what I usually have. It also constantly says that the card is at 99% GPU usage and it doesn't get hotter than its usual idle temperature.

I just updated to the 270.61 drivers and saw no improvements.

What now ?

20. GoodBytes

RMA it and be done with it.