1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Passing the time in Portal 2 [spoiler warning]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Throbbi, 24 Apr 2011.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

So, i was on a replay and achievement hunting when i arrived at the first proper use of Conversion gel (in the square pen in the centre of a large round room, you know the bit) when i just decided to start messing about and paint the whole room in the stuff :D

[​IMG]

No point to it at all, wasted a good half hour though :lol:

Guest-23315 likes this.
  2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I hate this room. Hate, hate, hate. I hate when i know what to do, but it is pure random if you get it on 1st or 100th try.

3. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Lovely paint-job. I just dovered the bits I thought would be useful plus some extra for the lulz. Why has the pipe stopped spraying in your screenshot?

ninjaed by faugusztin: I know the feeling: there were two points in the game where I solved the puzzle correctly, but the mechanics didn't work out first time and so I wasted half an hour trying to find another way.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

It activates the next area and cave quotes when you get across towards the exit and shuts off the gel.

This room did take me a while first time round but once you get the knack its really easy.

5. faugusztin

It's true that maybe i used the more complicated solution... I created a portal above and bellow the first pillar on right, making it a infinite fall... but then i had to turn towards the tilted section and hit it durring that short infinite fall. Which was nearly impossible, but once done i got propelled right to the stairs on the other side of that platform :D.

6. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Lol, dont you just love it when you're carrying a bit more momentum than you expected :D 'Weeeeee..wait...whoa....not that far!'

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Mmm, Dulux white. I did the same thing for a later test when I couldn't figure it out for a while.

It's a shame that some bits can't get covered in the paint though.

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Gel ;) We all know what happens when you get paint instead of gel, that poor control group..... :lol:

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

This was the only bit of the game that really had me stumped. I tried the method above of falling from a portal at the top of the pillar and then moving the second portal when you come back through, but I found I couldn't get enough momentum to launch me from the angled plate, and it just didn't really feel like the 'right' solution. The proper solution is much easier, I just never looked in the right place to figure it out.

10. faugusztin

What is the proper solution then ? As i said, i created a pair of portals for infinite fall and then used the momentum from the tilted surface.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

12. faugusztin

Hehehe, so i did it supercomplicated way.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I did it the same way as faugusztin, or tried a similar way anyway, until I eventually got frustrated with trying and finally decided what a spesh I'd been not seeing the really easy way.

14. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I tried the same way as you guys found it wasn't working and then basicaly did what throbbi did there while trying to find a solution.

Also to burn time tried getting the turret cubes to walk onto the buttons by themselves sadly they could never get over the little bump.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I love those guys!

I could watch them all day.....

lovely gel job there. the lab boys told you to stop spraying those gel, that must have gave you an idea: spray more gel :D

16. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

The turret cubes are adorable, especially with the chirrupy noise they make.

17. faugusztin

I hate them. You put them somewhere to prepare the portals... And those little *******s walk away.

18. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Then you gotta tip them so they can't!

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Indeed!
    I had many moments like that. One of the puzzles had me painting a room with the white GEL ( :D ) for ages before I noticed a patch of portal-able material in a good location.
    Yup, loved the new cubes and the way you have to tip them! Sheer genius on the developer's front.