1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Project Cafe system specs leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Apr 2011.

1. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

I think a gtx 460 power or higher is perfectly reasonable for the 720/ps4.
    Assuming a 2013/14 Q4 release they'll still be using 3/4 year old tech which even at launch was mid range.

2. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

hahaha classic!

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Its not even that, remember the GPU in the PS3 has a crippled 128bit Memory interface, compared to the full fat 256bit of the 7800GTX...

4. Rsaeire

Rsaeire What's a Dremel?

I still don't understand why people are so fixated on the graphical and CPU performance of consoles. Nintendo played that strategy to death with their consoles prior to Wii and where did that get them? The N64 was more powerful the Playstation, yet it wasn't as successful as Sony's console. The GameCube was also more powerful than the PS2, yet, again, wasn't as successful as Sony's console. Nintendo released Wii, which is far less powerful than either the PS3 or Xbox 360, and has sold almost 50% more than both consoles. Clearly Nintendo's strategy paid off and they're hoping it will again. Given that we've been playing Mario, Zelda etc games for decades doesn't negate the fact that they're almost always some of the best, if not the best, games to come out on a Nintendo console. With that said, they do release other games too, but rely more on 3rd party developers to make up the rest of the available games.

I for one am eagerly anticipating Project Cafe and will most likely buy it as soon as it's released. Nintendo knows games and therefore knows what matters most when it comes to a console.

5. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I think more comparably since a 2013/2014 release has been just about announce from both Sony and MS (they want to milk the current crowd for another couple of years before incurring hardware losses on a new generation), I think you'd probably be looking at more like a 6670 going with an AMD equivelent GPU for a moment or possibly whatever the 6670 equivelent is at 28nm. At every console release the GPU tends to be about the equivelent of the lowest "mid grade" GPU of current or just previous generation of PC hardware around.

That said they can get a lot out of it because you can code to a really low level with identical hardware sets.

6. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

Not more efficient, just different. It depends entirely on the shaders' instructions as to which is more efficient.

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Errr, because that's what determines what you see on the screen, if everybody thought like you, we would all still have Megadrive and SNES consoles under our TV's.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Fancy specs. What people forget here, is that Nintendo don't like to lose money on their console, this makes games 10$ cheaper, and more money for the studio's, as money is not sent to pay back the console. Another thing, is that as the console is a locked down environment, they are a lot of security layers that can be removed, allowing a more direct hardware communication level, which provide a big boost in performance, not to mention be able, for developer, to perform massive optimizing on the games, as it's only 1 system configuration possible. So a slight bump in speed, is big improvement to games unlike PC's.

In addition, as demonstrated time and time again with Nintendo, which never was the king in graphics (except maybe on the NES), if we rule out the PC. Yet Nintendo is here, and very successful. Nintendo knows how to make games. They use the same IP's, and sometimes looks similar, but the game play is different. People who actually play Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, etc.. knows that. If you check screen shots only.. you have no idea what you are talking about so stop talking.

Another strength of Nintendo these days, is backward compatibly. I check out Dolphin emulation (Game Cube/Wii emulator), and re-playing a Wii game I have, graphic upscaling is excellent.. and seeing you tube videos, it almost look like the textures are in HD since the starts. Example (and this is just 720p on this video):

I wont' be surprised if this console will play perfectly well Wii games with upscalling.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2011
  9. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

To be fair, it doesn't need to be much better than PS3. As long as it:

1) Is released before PS4 and the new x-box
    2) Has 'good' console-level graphics at 1080p HD
    3) Offers some more core gaming titles

It'll do very well.

Sounds like another good business move from Nintendo.

10. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

I seriously think the posts here are hilarious...
    look at the Wii... it didn't outperform any of the other consoles...
    in fact it's just an upgraded cube...
    and yet it was an outstanding marketing success... with... the crappy hardware it had back then...
    I believe Nintendo might as well have another hit with this one :p

11. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Thanks for getting the point - at least someone has a well-formed response.
    In two years time the TDP of a reengineered GTX 260 or 460 will probably be at 95W or even less.

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The people in these forums are not casual gamers, but hardcore-gamers and let's face it...

We are the minority in the whole gaming-industry, while the Wii adresses the vast majority!

The biggest question, that most of the tech-savvy people don't understand is, that the vast majority of players aren't interested in the best graphics possible, but in good and fun gameplay for an hour or two now and then.

The Wii is a big success as it adresses those casual family and party gamers and offers games which are simply fun to play, especially when hanging around with some friends in the evening.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Even that is way too much for a console. The PS3 slim uses 110W alltogether while playing a game and the aim is to hit the sub 100W mark in the future for the whole system under load. So we're more looking for GPUs running at around 50W paired with a CPU running at 35W + BluRay 10W + HDD 5W.

14. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

As mentioned on the other Nintendo article, they are looking at a 2012 release, so they probably started working on things back in 2009/2010 and would explain there choice of hardware since AMD's R700 architecture was released back in 2008, though onwould have thought that the R800 released in 2009 would have been a better and more current choice and would only have been 1 step behind todays current architecture.

By the time the new Wii is released graphics cards will have moved on another iteration and we'll likely have 24nm process CPU's then too, all making Nintendos next gen nothing more than another customised old gen console.

15. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I feel obliged to point out the RAM upgrade on the N64 which was required to play games such as Donkey Kong 64...(if I remember correctly)

I'm sure nintendo have something up their sleeve. They are talking about 'changing the way people experience games' again, so there must be something more important than a graphics upgrade. I will reserve my judgement on the graphics until there are more details. TVs haven't come quite as far as graphics cards have over the past few years anyway.

16. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Perfect Dark required the upgrade or entire modes were unaccessible

17. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Nintendo don't loose money on their consoles, they make a small amount, something like $6 per console...

18. GoodBytes

Yes, and that was a big mess. Many people did not get this concept. I don't see Nintendo or anyone else doing this.

19. GoodBytes

Arrggg.. I meant "..don't like to lose money". I skipped a word while typing. Now everything I said makes sense :)

20. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Just had a quick check and the original 360/ps3 draw 185W and 193W average respectively during gaming.
    The later versions much lower draws is only possible due too die shrinks.
    How many consumer check power consumtion when purchasing as long as it doesn't gain a reputation like the old xbox cooling fan noise.
    Getting a console below 100W would come at vast expense at graphical fidelity per £ which would lose costumer while you won't lose them to 50W more power use.

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-2.htm

Tags: Add Tags