1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Project Cafe system specs leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Apr 2011.

1. Psy-UK

Psy-UK What's a Dremel?

To be honest, I'm far more interested with how the controller is going to turn out. :eek:

2. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

I see this as nothing but good news for Nintendo. Getting their foot in the door of peoples homes before Sony and Microsoft would lead to wider adoption, especially if they start focusing more on Kinect and Move.
    All they need is to keep rolling out decent titles.
    Anything regarding competition from the 'PS4' or '720' is purely speculation. No doubt they'd have more grunt but will people really be willing to shell out the same money they did for the early PS3?

I'm fairly certain you had that RAM upgrade for the N64. Talk about terrible memory.

3. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

I think I'll just wait first and judge later this decision of nintendo :p, the Wii though proven to be less powerful than the 360 and ps3, almost had a level of success (if not better on other areas) to the 360, and maybe we are having a similar case with their new console, the reason, most of the games where fun.yeah high-end graphics would really give you a second of two of awe-inspiring moment. but Id still put my bets on good gameplay. nintendo can cram in alot of power there but if a majority of developers would produce crap games but with high fidelity graphics. I dont think that is a win-win situation,lol

4. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

When the 360/PS3 released they were using GPUs on par with what was out at the time for the PC in 2005/2006. I would expect both the 720/PS4 to have the same level of hardware when they are released. So something much better than a GTX460.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Correct. I did indeed have it. It's less bad memory and more throwing out words faster than I actually think about them. I meant to say that there is a reason it has never become a business model, rather than no one has ever tried it. The only game I even remember it mattering for for PD, and to be fair, with out it you got some serious cuts from the full game. Didn't realise DK needed it too.

I wish there were some numbers around for how well it did, and for how many developers actually used it. The fact that the only cases of it actually happening that anyone remembers involve a second party developer kind of speaks volumes about the idea.

I would also be interested to know if the extra RAM ever made a difference to any other games, or whether games had to be developed to use it as a seperate RAM source, rather than just a bigger unified pool. I never noticed a difference, but I wasn't really looking.

6. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

You think it's idiotic?

I said it'd never happen - but it's not idiotic.

It's the very reason we all (most) buy and build PCs - we can upgrade, get more performance, nicer images. So what part of it is idiotic?

As I said originally, it'd never happen - far too much fragmentation for developers - but if it worked, it would be good.

7. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I wonder if it will play gamecube and wii games? The whole reason I bought a wii was to have the option to play my older gamecube games which I love to death. If it can't I will probably have to hold onto my Wii for a while and my ps3 and PC will have to keep me happy on the side. I don't think the Wii is really such a bad system, it's limited by the hardware for sure when you compare it to the other systems out on the market now, only 480p output but I think the real thing holding it back is the lack of good games. I hope it doesn't become an issue for the next Nintendo system as well. Like others have said before, there will probably be a new mario and zelda game, hopefully another super smash brothers, banking on a new metroid game to make me forget how dull metroid: other m was but what else can we really look forward too? Wii sports HD!!!! *bangs head on desk*

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

It is idiotic in regards to consoles. It defeats the purpose of a console.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

at $400 it should play blu-rays and pretty much be a PS3 ~_~

10. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Wow, goes to show PC gamer hardware is never going to be stretched at this rate...we're about 2 generations down the line from the PS3

11. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

especially with no top end next gen on the horizon. >.>

consoles have infused and brought vast money into games, now they`re wringing the life out of it with business models.

12. Jedibeeftrix

Jedibeeftrix What's a Dremel?

seems to me that an AMD Llano Fusion would do the job very nicely.

the 400 shader HD 5650 had twice the transistors of the old nvidia 7800GT, and runs at twice the speed so should be much faster.

it occurs to me that AMD will have four Llano products with duff cores that they do not currently plan to sell as specifics SKU's, what will they do with them?

a three core Llano sku would be cheaper for nintendo to buy, being a single integrated SoC produced on 32nm, and thus should be affordable to to use.

13. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

Well don for get the 360 and ps3 had old hard ware in them from day one.

The only really radical change was the Cpu's with the ps3 Gpu being cut down relying of the extra power of its Cell processor to keep it ahead of the 360 hence why its been reported to be difficult to program for.

So the Wii 2 should be very powerful in console terms with a more powerful Cpu and much more powerful Gpu (almost 3 gen's ahead of the 360) I just hope they put more memory in it then has been reported 2 gig min would be so much better.

14. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

let me set you guys straight
    the wii was great because of the games it had
    most of its games were made for the wii and looked great
    while xbox and ps3 games were ported to pc
    and u guessed it . most of the games released from about 2009 to now had low res textures because of the very low amount of ram it had and slow gpus which also caused pc games to look bad cod bc2 ( look at the ground) reminds me of 007 golden eye ......
    im not saying graphics are important it just annoys me when everything looks amazing while the ground looks very low res - everything should be equal
    news suggest that the ps4 and the next xbox will be released in 2014
    so basically games wont evolve until that time comes
    im still using hardware from 2007 (when the ps3 was released)
    qx6700 and a 9800gtx ( had a 8800GTX but was too hot)
    currently i can play every game out there at medium - high on 2560x1600 on that system i have no reason what so ever to upgrade but i might change the gpu when Battlefield 3 comes
    and for u guys saying ( consoles should have the ability to be upgraded ) remember u could upgrade the n64's ram
    that should be an option for all consoles today

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

+1
    Given that it's not being launch for another year, I'd expect the performance of a current mid generation GPU. Why they're using a design that is already out of date is beyond me. It's not as if they'll be using up stock. I can only assume the design has been finalised for a while now.

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes it is finalized now, or polishing drivers stage, and about E3, check out feedback in the case of any problem to be solved, and start mass produce it in the case everything is fine, ready for a global release in 2012 with lunch title.

If you guys can build a computer (with case, wireless, and optical drive) for under 350$ US/Canadian using only new parts of descent quality, that will provide as good as the PS3 performance, you can start complaining about Nintendo decisions Until then, Nintendo decisions was well studied.

If you say: "Yea but online stores makes money on every parts + the manufacture + it's not a massive order etc...", consider that on the 300-350$ price tag of Nintendo next console, you need to include Nintendo engineering to make everything possible, optimizing team, documentation makers (for consumers and developers), tools for developers, the controllers provided, marketing, testing, and store shelf space cost, retail profit margin, and demo stands space rant of stores to show the console. And let's not format some level of profit.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2011
  17. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

To be honest if the new Wii can push to 1080p and support the new 3D TVs it will sell.
    The current Wii's 480p would had a better shelf life if the HD tv explosion did not happen.

So unless the Super Hi 4320p TVs start showing up in our living rooms anytime soon, why would it need anything faster?

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OK unless you're going to code the **** out of every graphics scene to make sure all the instructions are used in the 1-5 ratio, all of the time, VLIW-4 with its uniform shaders and better scheduling works better, more often. Also, with AMD moving to VLIW-4 - what will future games be optimised for? ;)

And for those poo-pooing specs talk: if we didn't like that stuff we'd be on a gaming forums discussing the merits of Mario in HD. YOU WILL SEE THE COTTON STRANDS IN HIS CAP OMFG! I WONDER IF THE SHELLS WILL BE SCRATCHED DYNAMICALLY?? I HOPE THEY RE-RELEASE ALL THE OLD GAMES IN HD! I'D LOVE TO GIVE NINTENDO EVEN MORE MONEY FOR REHASHED IDEAS!

(yes, everyone shouts on gaming forums).

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Apr 2011
  19. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Using the HD5650m as a proxy (400SP with 650Mhz core) we can see that thanks to efficiency (through coding for a closed platform) both the 360 and PS3 can offer similar graphical quality at 720p.

Whilst a HD5650 level GPU with increased efficiency would be an improvement over the current gen consoles I would prefer to see something along the lines of the HD6870m (800SP) being used in the next gen consoles.

Of course in the end both designs will be either completely custom (Xenos R500 GPU*) or a modified and tweaked version of a mid range GPU (G70(1) RSX).

*It can be argued that the Xenos GPU shares alot in common with the later R600 GPU although it was a custom GPU at the time.

20. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

The hardware specs of the Wii's successor are irrelevant in my book since it is games that maketh a console not tech specs. And as a Wii owner since its launch I have to say it has been the most underwhelming console I've ever owned in terms of quality games with the decent exclusives being few and far between.

It is hard to get excited about a new Nintendo console when I keep hearing that they again are not prioritising for their core fanbase but to the casual masses again. I think that is a huge mistake as casual gamers are fickle and will tire of gaming sooner rather than later. They aren't the ones who buy lots of games and this is why the Wii, outside selected exclusives and third-party titles, has such poor software sales considering its huge user base. Even I only buy one or two games per year for my Wii as their literally is very little else of interest to me on the platform.

Tags: Add Tags