1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PlayStation Network outage to last indefinitely

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Anonymous have denied it being them. Now if it was them surely they would want Sony and the world to know about it. After all Anonymous are hacktivists who want to get a message across, not just screw up Sony's servers.

Anonymous also after DDOSing Sony's Playstation Network servers, said that they would stop this because it was inconveniencing the end user to greatly.

2. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

You mean the back up with the same flaws/issues as the original?

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Exactly. You don't just go walking back into the same problem you faced before and expect different results.

4. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I didn't claim it was Anon...however I can see how my post lead one to believe I was blaming them. I am not. I am putting some blame on them for their original attack (what I would consider bone headed and short sighted).

For this, it certainly sounds like it wasn't santioned by the great Anon hackisphere...though that doesn't preclude it from being someone who is associated with the group still bringing down PSN. That isn't even conjecture, just a possiblity.

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Personally I doubt it, the length this has been down feels more like hardware/software failures. anonymous tend to disrupt service short term with DOS attacks most of which goes unnoticed by many or fixed within a day. Sony prob screwed up somewhere and its just convenient anonymous had threatened them. Who knows, I could of underestimated them or they may have a member or sympathiser on the inside.

6. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

maybe sony should do a backup of their etwork once its back, employ a small team to work at hacking the code a back to find other potential exploits and work at patching them in the back ground? im just a pc tech im not a coder or programmer or what have ya so i dont really understand much about.
    for what its worth im not a ps3 owner, im an xbox 360 owner but i know how pissed i would be if xbl went down so i cant really poke fun or anything its just not right

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

According to Sony it isn't an issue with hardware failure or no backups. The system was enetered and brought down. The system is still down because Sony is attempting to fix the vulnerabilities that allowed whomever it was to access the system and bring it down to begin with.

Just figuring out how the heck it occured could take some time, let alone potentially having to rearchitect maybe the whole dang thing, and certain at least a small part of it, code it, test it and put it all back online.

8. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

I can't feel bad for a company that can't make a high-end notebook that doesn't overheat like mad and replies that thermal throttling is a "design feature and certainly not a cooling system flaw". Damn idiots. Then again, I also can't feel bad for console users.

9. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Last edited: 26 Apr 2011
  10. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Update: Ars Technica are now reporting that Sony admitted that consumer data has been stolen, and that credit card information may be among that data. Looks like I'll be changing my passwords tonight. I may also go ahead and cancel my debit card while I'm at it.

Link here.

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I'm just happy that Heavy Rain doesn't require PSN access

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Thankfully I'm a real tight git and only ever have extras that are free with games or free to download. Never bought a game over the network either.

Go hard copy! :D

13. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Its taken them 6 days to tell people that all their personal information has been stolen.

What. The. F****.

14. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

People need to chill out, if people can't cope without playing games for a week then they have a serious problem.

I kinda like it when things fall appart, puts things into perspective and stops people becoming complacent.

I do hope this wasn't some attempt to get user information though. I've found xbl to be totally lacking in payment management and security. they failed to remove my card from my xbox, my account then got hacked and £120 of xbl points and they didn't give a f**k.

15. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

My PS3 still serves it's main purpose just fine; playing Blu-rays and streaming media from my server.

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Nawwwww, that couldn't be. These upstanding members of society were just trying to show Sony the error of their ways. They couldn't possibly be thinking about using or selling the information they just happen to have access to. :hehe:

17. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Here's what Sony UK indicates was exposed:

Name
    Shipping address
    Billing address
    Country
    E-mail address
    Birthdate
    PSN/Qriocity ID
    PSN/Qriocity password
    PSN/Qriocity security question and answer
    Purchase history

18. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

was a nice thought while it lasted : )

19. Deders

Deders Modder

Was about to say GET OUT!!! but then I saw this, I think you might be right.

This is what happened when someone's mum cancelled his World of Warcraft account.

20. atomo

atomo What's a Dremel?

People may be happy that Sony is hurting from this, but honest gamers and the industry as a whole are being hurt a lot more. In the mean time, go outside and discover the use of your legs, if you got em.

Tags: Add Tags