1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC's Carbide Series is now the Lamptron Vector Series! 12.8.2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 26 Apr 2011.

1. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Carbide Series

[​IMG]
    Intro:
    Welcome to another rollercoaster ride, this time I am building something huge! The case is of course called Carbide, a tribute to the metal that I cannot live without, there are few things that will slaughter acrylic for 6 months without getting blunt, high speed steel isnt one of them, Carbide on the other hand, is.

This case means quite a bit to me as it will be my first case to hit the market :)

[​IMG]
    Above: If you want this finished, ask AMD to hurry up.

Kyubu is pretty much done besides for some no show Bulldozer hardware and in the meantime I have decided to keep myself busy, this time with the largest case my machine is capable of building. If this case was 2cm's taller, it would not fit on my machine. It measures in at almost 800 high and 600mm long with a depth of 280mm.

[​IMG]
    When I say this case is large, I mean it in the most underhanded of ways. The backplate alone has enough room for water routing with 90 degree bitspower angled fittings, hell even the HDD's are all mounted behind the backplate.

[​IMG]
    Enough room to mount these into the back of the backplate :)

[​IMG]
    The original case I wanted to build looked like a cube -_- . Behold the case that will never get built and thank god for MDF prototyping.

[​IMG]
    I will admit, designing does not come naturally for me and I was not content with building something medocre so I sat down and designed for a whole 2 months, almost every single night I had free. (above) 2 months worth of design....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The case has rounded corners at every side and a huge amount of space inside for some utterly insane hardware. I was going to do an MDF prototype first but my experience with wood glue was less than......well lets just say it was messy. The above is what all the corners in the case will look like, I got the inspiration from a previous case I was building for Aaron here on the forums.

[​IMG]
    Duality is everything here. There are dual PSU slots, dual 360mm radiator frames and dual res and pump mountings. However, it wasn't all about building the biggest case possible as my initial designs reflected a more modest design.

[​IMG]
    If you look at the picture above, you will also notice that the case is fairly modular, here I am with a midplate pass through piece. I will need to use the bitspower pass through fittings for these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The buffer I am using also allows for some pretty pro looking edges.

[​IMG]
    Here is the backplate for the build, the motherboard gets mounted onto the front and all the HDD's and SSD's are mounted behind the backplate. This allows for a whole heap of water cooling goodness up front :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    You guys are going to laugh at me but it took me at least three tries and several measurement adjustments to get the drive bays correct. At last! I have the correct measurements!

Oh and if you guys ever want to build your own drive tray, I have kept my autocad drawings for it. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need those designs, noone should ever have to go through what I did in order to get the correct measurements (in the end I just used my CNC in manual mode to measure the distances in coordinates). DOWN WITH THE IMPERIAL MEASUREMENT SYSTEM!

[​IMG]
    More to come! Plenty more to come ^^

Last edited: 29 May 2011
  2. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

I see another wonderfull case incoming! :thumb: :rock:

3. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Very nice looking forward to the updates that will come

4. StonieX

StonieX What's a Dremel?

Another EPIC project I´ll follow :rock:.
    I love your work DJayness! :clap:

sub´d

5. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

More EPIC! I can't wait!

6. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

I like these acrylic parts. I will following your project.

7. Droih

Droih Your too close if you can read this

Looking sweet, keep it up ! :9

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Here here... motion passed! metric only from now on please :D

looks to be an awesome design Daniel! will be great watching it come together as it is with all your builds :)

9. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

First of all great start :D I really enjoyed your other 2 builds you made so will be following this one too :D

Just started with some serious planing in Inventor for my new chassis. So Some Cad files with the right mesurments would be very nice indeed :D

I'm definatly not religious but I can't say other then Amen to that :p Can't figure out why they linger on a failed messurment system when the rest of the world have already changed to the metric system.

10. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I'm American and I will gladly say that the Imperial measurement system is complete nonsense in comparison to metric. I bet I could go asked 50 people on the streets how many feet are in a mile and maybe half could tell me correctly...

The issue is switching over would be a logistical nightmare... shame though, metric is just so much easier.

Glad to see your already on your way with another project man! Can't wait to see more progress :thumb: Any clues as to color scheme?

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Could you use something else then facebook to host the pictures? Facebook is completely blocked here.

12. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks guys, when the weekend comes around I will get some cuts in. Theoretically it shouldn't take long to construct because all the parts come together like a jigsaw. Practically, well we all know how that goes :p

Thanks Editor!

Always looking to apply what I have learnt from previous builds, this one should be quite smooth sailing.

Yeah the whole thing is really crazy. Even the official 5.25 bay specs on the web are done in inches and autocad doesnt do the inches to cm switching thing very well ( and if it does, throw me the command line!).

Colour is quite limited as 6mm thick cast acrylic either comes in black, white or clear (at least in Brisbane it does). Hint, I won't be offering a clear case.

I apologise for that, I realise that facebook isn't exactly every governments best friend. I use facebook because it auto-resizes, has no bandwidth limit and all my friends can keep up with what I am doing, it is nearly the perfect host.

However, this may restrict certain people from certain nations from viewing this log so I will get around to posting the progress on my website blog which can be found here http://epicstore.com.au/blog/

I will update it in the next day or so when I have the time.

13. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

The best way I know to do it is to create a block, and then make a scaled copy of the block.

Its annoying but that's the simplest way that I know to do it. Only takes a like 30 seconds

14. PAL

PAL What's a Dremel?

Every man's dream.....a CNC in your house. Went to see your work on you tube:thumb: most beautyful acrylic case i ever saw keep up the good work

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Update time!

[​IMG]
    One of the perks of having a CNC is that you know stuff is going to fit together. No guess work, no staring at the piece for hours thinking "how am I going to overcome this obstacle" etc etc, once its on Autocad thats it, months of planning will pay off and the hardest task you have is a kin to putting together a jig saw puzzle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    And the puzzle begins. These guys will become the corners of the case.

[​IMG]
    Damn weldon is some scary stuff, I remember making a mistake and trying to pull apart a piece just barely a minute after I had applied the glue to the seam. Not even pliers can do it, you'll break the piece before you separate that bond.

[​IMG]
    Zero errors, all clear for some hard fap action.

[​IMG]
    Fap fap fap and the piece is done.

[​IMG]
    Polished vs bare naked.

[​IMG]
    I milled a 3mm pocket into the piece so the whole thing just snaps together. I hadn't even glued this one yet.

[​IMG]
    Shoe shine, these are the case feet.

[​IMG]
    See that knob... that snap fits into the case.

[​IMG]
    Like so.

[​IMG]
    "waste is a thief" - Tell me what movie that line is from :p I was damn efficient with the 800*600mm piece of acrylic I used.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Of course, it doesn't get you very far, thats A LOT of acrylic right there.

[​IMG]
    Watchu looking at? Im looking at your grills, YOU LOOKING AT MY WHAT? - no points for that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that gives you guys a better idea of whats going on. I am timing the production of the case and thats 5.5 hours so far, not bad at all.

Haha its actually a CNC in a factory, I just got a builder to put up some walls and made a studio apartment out of it.

16. PAL

PAL What's a Dremel?

Well.... that would not have conviced my wife anyway:wallbash:
    Nice work :thumb:

17. -Jv-

-Jv- What's a Dremel?

I do have to get one of those CNC's or make one myself. Looks amazing !

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

They do make things quite a bit easier but due to space and cost most modders will never get one.

19. drjaydee

drjaydee What's a Dremel?

I believe thats from one of my favourite films Fight Club, great film :)

20. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

A lot of nice acrylic parts. And they fit good together, very good work.