1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Asus PA246Q or Dell U2410

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dave99, 1 May 2011.

1. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

When I hear photography, I think Dell IPS monitors.

derpooch likes this.
  3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Photography on a budget = Dell IPS monitors. Photography without a budget = Eizo. End of discussion.

;)

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

My thoughts:
    - The grid layout thing is totally a useless gimmick. I guess its great for people who don't know about the Print Preview feature, available in nearly all programs. And when you work on a picture you DEFINE THE IMAGE SIZE in pixel/inch/cm, so totally useless.

- Looking at the panel uniformity it varies WAY to much.
    Even on the review you see something is wrong with the white:
    [​IMG]
    (yellow on the top right, getting dark (but more white) at the bottom left. Red'ish tone on the bottom right) I am not saying that U2410 is perfect either, but you don't see such shift. U2410 has better uniformity.

- On paper (as this was not tested in the mentioned review), P-IPS panels have a highest input lag, in all sub IPS panels.

- The stand looks like plastic, while the Dell is all in metal (black parts are plastic, but metal under it.. used for decoration and finishing).

- You don't have component and composite, and only 1 DVI instead of 2, which Dell U2410 has.

- The OSD menu, and calibration report is a blatant copy of Dell U2410. As for the OSD, menu it looks like a cheap Chinese knock off, compared to the sleek look of the U2410.

5. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

U2410 it is then? Still the best in the price bracket?

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

U2410 or the LP2475w.

Asus monitors are..well mediocre, plus it's a copy of the U2410.

7. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

So what you are saying is that I should buy the U2410? NOthing else? The U2410.

I have asked it. I need an Amen:D

8. GoodBytes

Well it's up to you... I stated my views on it.
    If the U2410 is super expensive, or the ASUS one is very inexpensive where you are, then take that point in consideration.

As for other monitors, NEC PA241W (less features, but 10-bit panel (which will be totally useless as your GPU only outputs 8-bit colors, so is your software, unless you use Adobe Photoshop or similar programs and have a select Quadro's or FireGL which supports 10-bit color output).

You also have NEC LCD2490WUXI2.

HP has models too (HP ZR24W and the similar to the U2410: the HP LP2475W)
    But the problem with HP is that they have several sub-panel (with difference price tag) model to choose from on HP web site and it differs between countries... so you might not get the same things as reviewers.

9. Elton

All the other choices outside of the HP ones are...well insanely expensive.

The ZR24W uses a E-IPS and the LP2475W no longer really have the panel lottery as they did before.

Even if they did, S-IPS or H-IPS both panels are still excellent compared to most. Plus they're more ergonomic than the Asus it seems.

Personally, I'd go for the ZR24W, the U2410, the LP2475W or the LCD2490UXI(not the UXI2).

10. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

Are they likely to introduce a U2411 in the near future? It's been 2 years since the U2410.

11. GoodBytes

To be honest.. I am noticing (based on their laptops and desktops only), is a up and down company. They go down.. they start producing high quality system that make you **** in your pants. When they are up, they release disgusting thing that is far from worth it.

Example:
    Dell Latitude E6400 (everyone hates Dell at this point in time). Comes with MINIMUM 3 year warranty and several countries including Canada, 3 year next business day onsite service... all minimum. Super solid construct, OEM Windows disc provided, driver disk, software installed disk, quality spelled everywhere, and crazy features like a good no-flex laptop keyboard, cool operation, ambient light sensor, Display Port, eSATA, 1 screw super easy to open panel which provides you full internal access of the system.

Dell Latitude E6420 (everyone loves Dell at this point in time):
    -> Looks like an Inspiron, looks uglier, no full keyboard layout (the one with Page Up/Down etc.. all in strange places.. this applies to all sizes), cheap keyboard, 16:9, low screen resolution, 200 screws to open like any cheap laptops, no more Display Port, bad location of ports (while the E6400/E6410, had all the big plugs on the back), no more disk... image only, much less battery life (9hours down to 6-7), 9-cell battery lifts the laptops, bare bone super large and heavy PSU like any 200$ laptop, with no cable arrangement for transport (something that Dell ALWAYS had), palm rest split off of the base when handling, bad air flow, hot system, proprietary bluetooth card... and I go on... Oh all for the same low price of 1600-1800$. E6400 totally worth it beyond belief.. E6420... I would not pay more than 600$ for.

Soooooo.... I can't say anything on monitors, as I honestly don't know... but looking at this, and this is what happen in the past as well... I don't think the U2411 will be good.
    If anything it will feature a 10-bit panels like the U2711 and U3011, but please note this is useless as you need special graphic card, and a software that can provide more than 8-bit colors, so useless. And possibly less connections as Component and Composite is dying. It MIGHT feature Display Port 1.2, where USB is carried with the wire, and you can daisy chain monitors from 1 plug form the GPU.. but you need a GPU that supports that.. so far none.. but it could open the door... one day. But, do you see yourself with more than 2 monitors? And at 2 monitor, I think you can live with 2 DVI or 1 DVI and 1 DisplayPort cable independent.

All I can think of is integrated keyb/mouse switch.. but in witch case you can just use Input Director (free) or Synergy among many others.

Perhaps better backlight uniformity, but to be honest the current U2410 back light uniformity is very good. I'll be surprised if they come out with uniform back light. But to be honest.. I don't see the problem on my display (I am no professional).

12. Elton

If only the NEC would get on the damn ball and make more E-IPS paneled monitors. The EA23WMi was a brilliant piece of kit, now let's see what else they got.

Then again, they haven't even fully replaced their xx90 line yet.

Dells monitors are hit or miss really, some of their monitors are absolutely brilliant, and others had the panel lottery treatement, not to mention inconsistent quality. Of course, as long as they keep stocking the U2410 it's all good. Plus what would replace it? A H-IPS with a A-TW polarizer? A no-lag S-PVA?

13. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

I'm going to buy the U2410. Thanks all. Thanks Goodbytes.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've passed on this thread to the PA team to feedback their thoughts on directly. They are working on the PA23 though so I don't know when I'll get a reply :)

15. sheewan

sheewan What's a Dremel?

Did you get the u2410?
    If you like it i will buy one, i wanted the Asus pa246q but i'm not so sure now :)
    pls help

16. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

No, ran out of money:D Now looking for a good monitor for £350. Would have bought the U2410 if I had the money though. I took a look at one in a PC store in London, it was great. I can afford the 2209WA which is also very nice but it is only 1680x1050 and probably underkill for a gtx580. Am looking at the HP ZR24w at the moment but in two minds, lots of conflicting accounts of this one. Monitor buying is difficult:duh:

17. sheewan

sheewan What's a Dremel?

well i purchased mine yesterday, i will pick it up tomorrow, i hope i didn't made a mistake, i saw some horrible reviews :S

18. GoodBytes

Horrible reviews of?
    The U2410? If so, then please please please check the review date.
    The early revision A00 (2008) was very faulty (many IPS LG panels was at the time.. it was a big production issue, and LG was delivering the bad panels. Someone hopefully got fired at LG). Any late A00 and revision A01 and newer (It's at A04 or A05 now, I THINK), don't have any issues.
    -> No back light bleeding problem
    -> No tint issue
    -> No calibration problem
    -> No dithering problems
    etc...

19. dave99

dave99 What's a Dremel?

So Goodbytes what am I going to buy? I can't afford a U2410. What to buy? 2209WA, ZR24w? Something else?

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

If you can afford it and want/need 1920x1200, then you should probably look at the ZR24W. It seems particularly well suited for gaming because of the nearly non-existent input lag and the speedy H2-IPS(!) panel.

If 1680x1050 will do and you need something cheaper and you want an otherwise great monitor, get the 2209WA. But you'd better hurry, since Dell has now retired it (in favour of the U22/2311H, which subsequently are being replaced shortly by the U22/2312HM).

Last edited: 21 May 2011