1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get the most Folding Points from your Hardware

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Lizard, 23 Apr 2009.

1. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

wierd I completed 3 units in gpu2 and my first big adv last night on my 980x and 2 x 8800 gtx xxx gpu's but my 24hr average says only 82 points im using smp.exe for the cpu and have entered my passcode for the bonus points,can anyone help Im not sure if ive configured it right as Im an idiot when it comes to tech things in pc's lol

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Have you done 10 SMP2 units with your passkey yet?

3. G0UDG

not yet m8 on the second one now its at 60% Im guessing from that my points dont register until ive done 10 units then

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Until you have 10 Passkey'd SMP's under your belt you only get base points for units (which aren't much)

5. G0UDG

Ah roger that ill bear that in mind tnx saspro

6. davebodger

davebodger My Dremel's bigger than your Dremel

high single unit points

Hi all, recently I've seen some people rocketing up the points ladder with single work units returning 80,000+ points each, overtaking me like I'm standing still.
    Does anyone know how this is done?

Are they just using overclocked hex-core cpus, or some special GPU?
    Is Linux that much more efficient?
    Or do I need to buy a mainframe now just to keep up??

I'm running an overclocked i-7 920 @ 3.9GHz under Windows Vista and only get around 6,500 points per (921 point) SMP unit. :wallbash:

Dave.

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

They are running a special type of work unit, called BigADV. These are huge work units that only overclocked (3.8GHz+) i7s can complete in time. They take like 2 days of solid folding to complete. You get big credits for these work units, and many of our top folders crunch BigADVs with i7 quads or hexacores.

8. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

9. davebodger

Thanks for that, but these guys seem to get them continuously.
    I too process BigADV units but only get 10,500 points for them (the 1395 point units) and I receive a mix of units. I did not think it was possible to set up the client to only receive BigADV units. Is it?

Dave.

10. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

Yes you add the -bigadv flag. The 1395pt WU you refer to is not a BigAdv WU.

11. davebodger

Thanks very much StreetSam.

I've added that flag now. :D

The biggest units I had before were the 6040 ones.

I had (obviously erroniously) thought that setting "big" in advmethods in the config was the same thing. :wallbash:

Dave.

12. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

Ph4ZeD thats me ya linked :D . Ive now got my 2600k @ 4.2 24/7 with a couple of hours gaming each night. Just dropped my graphics card down to slot three in my mobo and temps have dropped nicely with it.
    Also should be swopping out my hd6970 for a 560 SOC next week so hopefully there will be a little bump in ppd.

13. G0UDG

Are units with 500,000 steps big adv and also where in SMP.EME do I type -bigadv Im an idiot when it comes to setting up folding clients as saspro will tell you :duh: Ive asked on here as I dont want to become a pain in the preverbial to saspro by constantly pestering him for help,Btw many thanks for you help so far saspro matey very much appreciated your a star and a gentleman. As I have disabilities my short term memory stinks causing me to forget many things so please be patient with me tnx all

for info I am running SMP.EXE (not sure if its configured correctly as im getting low points even with passcode and over 10 bigadvs done)my pc is rampage 3 ex motherboard,Intel 980x cpu @ 4.2 ghz and 6 gig corsair dominator gt 2000 mhz CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 ram,with 2 x samsung f3 in raid 0 config im waiting for crucial to release the replacements for thier c300 series ssd's, windows 7 ultimate 64 bit operating system

Last edited: 10 Mar 2011
  14. narwen

narwen narwen

-smp -bigadv -verbosity 9 after the .exe

15. discovertrance.com

discovertrance.com What's a Dremel?

Blades

We are very new to this, the systems we own are more bandwidth intense than anything else which means the cpus tend to sit on 0% usage. So just threw 6 of our uk blade servers on to this folding project hoping stanford can do something good with it.

So any ideas what the best setup is for this, I think we are dontating 112 xeon class cores total.

all advice welcome.

16. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Welcome to the forum and team discovertrance.com, if you do join our folding team you'll be making a fantastic contribution to medical science :clap:

As you've already got the servers up and running doing a day job, the best setup depends on what OS you're running. Also how much RAM does each server in the cluster have?

17. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Another load of blade servers! CPC&Bit-tech know how to get to them. Great radio station as well.

18. Leroyingo

Leroyingo What's a Dremel?

How much of a difference in points does running the -bigadv on an i7-920 @ 3.8 (or anything someone can compare) as opposed to running standard projects.

19. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

It's been years since I've run the standard SMP CPU client, so I honestly can't remember. You're probably looking at least a 2-3x points increase though.

20. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

standard projects will net you around 8k max with bonus points. bigadv at 3.8 roughly 60k+ :jawdrop: running 24/7