1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress TRON Lightcycle - MotY 3rd Place!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 27 Feb 2011.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very nicely done, I knew you'd manage it :D:clap:.

2. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Wow! Could you be any luckier! :clap: Not that stuffing up in the first place is lucky..

Just looking at those pics of your fairing expansion, with the way you cut the pieces, you could almost have made a feature out of the gaps, with some acryl and LEDs...
    But then I guess it would lose it's Tron "authenticity" so to speak..

All the same can't wait to see how this turns out. Some epic skills going into this one! :thumb:

3. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

I don't believe I have ever been so happy to see something fixed in my life!
    Excellent work there boddaker!
    Have a beer on me, well deserved for thinking your way out of this nasty problem!

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

You have inspired me - though not in the conventional sense:

[​IMG]

You really don't want to know what it cost to order in the rare parts for these things...

5. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but actually I do, lol. Did you use Lego Digital Designer? Awesome models.

Last edited: 4 May 2011
  6. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I use MLCAD, actually, which I can't recommend highly enough. Between the six different shops I had to get parts from (I only buy new parts) these came to a truly horrifying £26.35, or £13 each. Since I don't need two (I only later discovered that the parts to make an orange one don't exist and had to convert the latter to blue) if anyone wants to buy one please PM me, we don't need to clutter the thread any more...

7. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Thanks Wayne, that makes one of us lol.

Thanks slothy. Yeah, I wouldn't want to add anything more to the fairings that would take away from the lightwall emitter (for lack of a better term).

Thanks ASPHIAX, I just realized that the contest deadline lands on a sunday, which means we actually have two more weekends to sort things out. Barring any more set-backs, I think I can make it! :rock:

Dude, those are sweet! My son would go nuts over those. Great job! :thumb:

Back on topic - I got a bunch of work done over the last few days, but nothing really picture-worthy. Just been doing more bodywork to the rear fairing, and gluing 48 spacers onto rings lol. I should have more pics of the frame tomorrow, but in the mean time, for those who absolutely can't read a post without pictures, I give you...

Worker and Parasite! (Ichy and Scratchy were booked, so I had to go with a Russian alternate :p)
    [​IMG]

8. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

I knew you had this under control Bod.... this is just "drama" that you added in to make it appear you were actually human! We all know you are not... ;)

Great job!
    :clap::clap::clap:

-=TD

9. Boddaker

Thanks Craig!

Assembly finally begins! I got both main ribs attached and some cross supports in, like the dual 120mm fan mount.
    [​IMG]

I scuffed them up and painted the back face white to give it a lighter blue look, and to aid in the glow.
    [​IMG]

Then I opted for these Enermax Appollish fans for some bling. It has different modes for the leds. Here it's got a triple blade rotation going. Reminiscent of a Flux Capacitor. :)
    [​IMG]

Here's the "all-on" setting. I can also adjust the speed of the fans with the controller.
    [​IMG]

Next up is the power supply. Finally getting some components in! :D

wejjy likes this.
  10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Good to see this moving on again. You gave us all a bit of scare before..lol

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good to see this rolling again :).

12. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Brian buddy this mod rocks!! I saw you having some problems but I said what the heck this is Bod, no problems can stand in his way!!! So you are back and rollin' !! :)

13. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Nice work! I'm really digging the consistent color/light scheme you are using. One minor thing, could you maybe put higher res pics in your posts? I love to check out all of the details in your work, but its a bit of a hassle to click every picture.. It's okay if you cannot or don't want!

Looking forward to the next update!

14. Boddaker

Thanks guys, It's good to be back on track. :)

Thanks TotalGaos. I put the thumbnails in so my thread doesn't take forever to load all the higher res pics all at once. I figure not too many people want to see every single picture in high res, as some aren't that interesting lol. Maybe it's about time I upsized my images, both thumbnail and larger pic. I'll try that next update (after this one). :)

---------------------------

All right, good progress today! I got the power supply mounted, as well as the whole bottom IO plate made so I could install the motherboard and video cards. woot!

Ok, the power supply didn't quite fit at first lol. This is just one of those things that no amount of forethought and planning in Sketchup could prevent. With all the ribs in place, I couldn't work the psu into it's spot.
    [​IMG]

It wouldn't slide in sideways either. This is how I originally envisioned it going in, but for whatever reason, it was just too tight clearance-wise. (I blame it on the power supply's bulging rear mesh!)
    [​IMG]

So, I had to rethink the psu situation, and come up with a plan that will work better in the end. I decided to make a mounting flange that will bolt to the psu, then attach to the bottom framing. This way the psu can just drop down and out if I need to remove it later. So first thing was to start removing the lower portions of the ribs. Center rib went first.
    [​IMG]

Then I glued in some cross supports before cutting away the top and bottom rib sections. These supports will be where the flange will screw into.
    [​IMG]

Then I whipped up a couple handle-looking pieces, that will re-attach the rib sections together.
    [​IMG]

Here's the top handle glued in.
    [​IMG]

And the bottom handle glued, with the bottom rib section removed as well. Now the power supply can slip up into its place without any obstruction.
    [​IMG]

Here's the flange I made which will secure the psu to the framing.
    [​IMG]

With that done, I could turn my attention to the IO plate. I went to town on this piece, measuring and cutting all the openings and never once thought to grab the camera. So all you get is the finished pics, sorry!
    [​IMG]

The plate is secured to the ribs via tabs and 4 screws (2 on each side). I incorporated the DVI and HDMI openings into this plate as well, so I could do away with the rear video cards' IO bracket.
    [​IMG]

A close up of the motherboard IO ports.
    [​IMG]

And a close up shot of the video card ports. the DVI screws are what holds the video card in place, so no need for any IO bracket screws.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the psu installed with the flange. I used 4 thumb screws to hold it in place. Two of which are shared by the IO plate.
    [​IMG]

Now that I finally have some hardware in the case, I can start installing some watercooling gear. If I can be as productive tomorrow as I was today, I might even be able to do some leak testing. Let's just hope I don't stumble upon any more harsh realities lol.

Thanks for reading! :)

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

This thread = full of win

:thumb:

16. Boddaker

Thanks Beast. :)

17. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

all I can say is WOW.... you need an assistant to take pic's for you, when you are going to town and don't stop to take them, the results are phenomenal.....well so are the results when you do stop for pic's

18. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I watch as always Brian. In awe once more.

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

^ What he said!! ;)

20. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

How are those video cards doing being held in by the dvi screws? Just wondering as will likely be doing something similar on my Mini-Colossus build when I finally get started on it soon.

Top quality work by the way :D