1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Orange would clash horribly with the interiors, IMO.

2. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

+1 for a variant of beige here. I'd go with Ford Platinum Metallic personally.

3. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

Agreed with Stonedsurd, orange would clash with the interior. Black would match best, but BRG is really the only option.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Black without a doubt. Would go very well with the interior.

5. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Any color, so long as it's black. :thumb:

6. Prometheus

Prometheus Minimodder

Tough decision, I think black really suits it. How about either a very very dark green that looks black unless in the sun etc or a black that has a hint of green in it.

7. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

A little bit of titivating, before I go off to the Stoneliegh show at the weekend. I've added a small bead around the inner edge of the wooden dash surround, and added the D shaped bead to the outside edge of the dash and to the door caps:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The inner bead matches the trim around the boot panels, and has been glued on with impact adhesive. The outer bead is sandwiched between the fibreglass and the wood, and is held there once the wood has been tighten up pinching the flange. Same goes for the door caps. It's a small detail, but i think it makes a big difference. :)

I've also finished the metal end caps of the wooden door tops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lots of filing, lots sanding through endless grades of wet & dry, and then polished up using 3 different mops.

Kerchow! :)

8. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Looking GREAT, GOO.

The camera still makes the interior look more pink than anything else, though... ;)

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice tweaking there GOO, are you going to take it all off for painting?

10. GreatOldOne

Yep. I'm going to drive her to the body shop so they can take a look and see the complete car, and give me a quote. Then I'll strip all the body work off one weekend, and then take it up in a van.

Once it's been painted, I'll bring it back and then take as long as required to get it all back on without scratching the new paint.

BTW - I've decided. It's Black. :thumb:

Probably BMW Jet Black. But I'm open to sugestions as to which black... I'm not sure wether a metallic would look right, unless there's a metallic black out there that doesn't look blue-ish in the sun. I want a nice deep black.

11. Krikkit

If it's black I much prefer it with just a tiny metallic fleck into it, I don't think just a flat black would look quite right on such a curvy car. I like the BMW Diamond Black for that, not too shiny, just enough, the old E30 M3's look absolutely stunning draped in that.

Once it is painted I'm sure the bodyshop can recommend some covering to protect it a bit while you put it back together, some kind of plastic wrap would be good for everything but gouging with a screwdriver.

12. GreatOldOne

I take it the Diamond Black has a silver metalic flake in it?

13. Krikkit

Yep, from memory at least, I've not seen a definite Diamond Black BMW in ages now.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

BMW do have a slightly "warmer" black metallic. The flakes will have a brown-copper-ish tint in the sun. It's a very nice color, but I can't remember what it's called. I'll have a look around the carpark at work tomorrow. ;)

And good choice on black, BTW. I don't think you'll regret it. :)

I have one suggestion: On the woodwork, what about making a 5-6mm wide pinstripe to the face of the wood trim? (In the same color as the car). It could help it "blend" the interior with the exterior.

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

In this week's "Wheeler Dealers" on Discovery, Edd Chyna used some clean old towels to protect the freshly applied paint on a Frogeye Sprite he was re-assembling.
    Or you could get a roll of bubblewrap from a local packaging company (probably a better way to keep on Mrs GOO's good side.:thumb:)

16. Xir

Xir Modder

I still think he's fooling us and the interiour is pink indeed :hehe:

Admid it, and the outside is going to be mint green to really go with the pink. :thumb:

BentAnat likes this.
  17. GreatOldOne

Ed Chyna = Legend. I find Brewer an irritating little git though, but that's what the FFWD button is for. :)

I thought the Sprite was cute - they always look like they're happy. And the new paint was so much better than the red it was in originally.

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

THIS! :D

I can't wait to see it in full paint, especially now that you've chosen black! :D I personally recommend microfibre towels for protecting it as well, and I'm sure you know this but I'll mention it anyway - be very careful with the new paint, it can take weeks to cure properly even when it is baked after being laid down.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Agreed. Every time I see a Sprite, I end up with as big a grin as the car! :D

20. GreatOldOne

I think I've found the paint for Vikki - Jaguar Black Cherry Metallic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's black, but with a subtle red flake in it. When the sun catches it, it's a very, very dark red, but in all other lights it's black.

It looks great in the flesh - I stopped at the local Jag garage yesterday to have a look, on the way back from getting Heinken Cup Final tickets (Coooome oooooon yoooou Saaaaaiiiints!). Great way to spend your birthday. ;)