1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Another one bites the dust as UK has hottest April on Record

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarrenH, 6 May 2011.

1. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

We've just had the hottest April on record here in the UK (Scotland and Ireland still got the rain and cold) and my CPU and GPU temps went up quite a bit. I'd moved the PC around so maybe the airflow was not as efficient as before in my Antec 300.

I had a late spring clean yesterday and opened up the PC for a clean. The last time I did this I had removed the fan from the CPU to get rid of the dust but it appears the fan was only 90% back in place. The dust has collected big time in the grills because of this. I also removed the Vapor-X graphcs card and took off the front fan cover to reveal more dust in the grills.

A careful screwdriver removal and vacuum cleared all the dust and now the PC is cooler once more. The CPU has dropped 4-5 degrees and the graphics card is a full 10 degrees cooler under full load. The PC is now cooler and under less stress so will last longer as a result.

Anyone else sufferring from the mini heatwave?

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The two continuous weeks of sunshine and my sun burn would suggest otherwise. :hehe:

3. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

What about the other 2 weeks!!!

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

we had a nice week last week, but its raining again here on the west coast of the states. still havnt gotten any astonishing temps. with any luck, ill be water cooled before the real hot months hit us :)

5. dhicks001

dhicks001 What's a Dremel?

I've/My pc have never erally felt the effects of the heat. I guess I'm just lucky. Does require a dust clean about every quater year tho. My flat is dusty as hell...

6. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

Same here, we also got the hottest recorded temperature to date. Can't even work longer on my pc, need to turn off every now and then just to cool it down. :(

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Definitely had a 4-7 degree increase in general temps and 10+ when gaming. Perhaps time for a quick spritz up inside the old gal.

The MSI 560 doesn't seem too bothered though :lol: Damn that frozr cooler is good.

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I benched the other day to check and my temps are around 8C higher than they were a couple of months ago and currently around 76C when running intel burn test. Still perfectly acceptable for a i7-920 so no worries here.

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I didn't get burned but I also have to disagree, we had 3 weeks of scorchers over here! :) And yes, it is playing a big part in pushing temps of all my rigs higher, the folding machines in particular are having a pretty hard time at the moment.

10. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

My 2500K is having no trouble with the weather - folding non-stop for the past week and hasn't gone past 68C.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

11. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you need some dust filters for your case if you managed to remove that much dust! I've got some good dust filters and running close to neutral pressure in the case (a couple of relative high flow quite 80mm intake fans and 3 lower speed 80mm exhaust fans) I keep the filters clean (about every 1-2 months) and so far no visible accumulation of dust on anything in the case w/ a bit over a year on the system.

Here in the US we've had some scortchers for this time of year in April. Thankfully since May has come around things have cooled off to a more typical mid-atlantic US spring (highs in the mid 70's, sunny and breezy).

12. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

The antec 300 has a front dust filter where 2 of my intake fans are but no side side filter where I have another fan fitted. But its just in a room that collects a lot of dust. Maybe a pair of ladies tights would do the trick (not mine - honest).

We've just had a reprive in the UK as well as the April showers have just arrived in a big way in May! Never thought I'd look forward to the cool brfeeze..