1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official CPC & Bit-Tech Chimps Challenge 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 Feb 2011.

1. Lankuzo

Lankuzo CPC Refugee

Ive upped my output to about 20k ppd and should be adding a gtx 580 to it sometime 2mo afternoon.

Not full time folding but every point counts.

This weather isn't helping much :(

2. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

And there was me thinking you'd taken pity on me and were giving me one more weekend to prepare for the stomping ;)

3. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

Chaps, I am having some issues with heat due to the recent weather my attic is cooking.

Trying to sort something out as we speak. Taken monday off work to sort it out.

If I cant take all the stuff down, ill get a AC unit up there. :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

anyone got a folding-capable gpu [or any gpu for that matter] going spare? my 280 is starting to make some really ominous noises...

edit: it seems they've tweaked the scoring, the teams are all a lot closer together points wise.

Last edited: 8 May 2011
  5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Aaaannd OCN have just made a massive change in their production. I think barnettworks just arrived at the party chaps...

6. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

There seems to have been a rule change in the Chimp Challenge, implemented at about 8 pm BST , 12 noon PDT. Hardware Canucks Forum (Beavers Gone Bananas) seem to have received a large reduction in their Chimp Points. This would be to reflect their well over 100% to their Challenge team. The result is a lowering of Hardware Canucks Forum to 30.6 Chimp Points, just above Overclockers.net on 29.47

The official announcement is this:-

"As a result of an unexpected large increase in contribution to teams participating in
    the challenge, from affiliates or teams not directly involved in the challenge,
    adjustments to the points calculation have been made.

This adjustment is directly in line with the increased contribution, and serves to put
    all teams on a level playing field.

We hope you continue to enjoy the Chimp Challenge."

Hardware Canucks Forum discusion of adjustment here:-

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/42907-chimp-challenge-2011-stats-page-5.html

7. Unicorn

Can you link to that thread Arthur? Was I wrong then, have HWC had their points reduced rather than OCN getting more folding power?

The talk on the Smack Talkbox at the moment is about how the two teams who have the most points in the challenge are the two who are giving out prizes :rolleyes: I'd like to remind you all that we lost the help of one of our biggest folders a couple of years ago because of this (what he considered) unsporting behaviour. I'm talking about JackOfAll who was a big Linux GPU folder and had started to experiment with bigadv folding also. I still don't agree with the prize giving but I take part because I know the team needs every point it can get.

Small update on that points change, from OCN's forum:

8. RedFlames

9. ArthurBuse

I got the official announcement quote from the Smack Talk page. Below the graphs, above the Smack Talk window, there is a windows headed News / Updates.

Clicking on the button above the graphs "@Home Folding Points per Update" there does not seem to be anything special about OCN recent updates. Ours was spectacular again, though.

10. Unicorn

Oh, thanks I just saw it in the news section. Did y'all know that Lord Xeb (frequent annoyance and spammer of the GD section here on bit-tech) was both folding and donating prizes to team OCN this CC? Sigh.

11. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

just got back to uni to find that my pc crashed earlier today at 248753 out of 250000 (99%) on a p2684, the deadline for the wu was at 5pm and it crashed somewhere around half 4 this morning :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

12. RedFlames

is 2684 a bigadv unit? [luckily] I've not had any on my i7, but I don't have the bigadv flag set

13. Unicorn

Uni's CC Contribution: Update

Just finished building and starting another dedicated folder from "spares". I had an MSI K9A2 spare from an old RMA and put two of my GTX 295's in it, to make another 30K PPD for our chimp. That brings my (onsite) total to 100K, then there's another customer's machine which I have "borrowed" via logmein for the week with his kind permission, which is running 50K for us as well, making 150K in total.

Oh also, there's an update in. We are still kicking ass :thumb:

14. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Hi all, yes I can confirm the statements that HWC have had their average PPD changed because of al the extra help from NCIX. We had a discussion on the captains forum earlier and it was discussed and agreed, also the HWC captain and the team have been very sporting about it and took it on the chin, fair play to them :)

15. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Interesting. It seems we get a massive boost in points everyday at the 3pm update [EOC time, which is I think 9pm for us]. Certainly on Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Does anyone have the data for Thursday?
    Is the cause of this spike the same thing that gave us the much-debated spike just before the Challenge started? Is it something that takes a little over 24 hours to complete?

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Could be someone who has a few machines and switches them off at night. Mighn't be located in the UK either.

17. Unicorn

Or it's someone who has several machines which are capable of producing lots of points in a 24 hour period. What frame times do SR2 systems generate when running bigadv units?

18. ArthurBuse

One of our folders gets to try out new hardware, I think under Non Disclosure Agreement. If that is what it is then we might find out eventually what it was. I believe AMD has a new CPU out soon, for instance. I am in the dark as everyone else.

19. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Just a thought... when you start a WU, does it always complete with the username/passkey you have entered at the start regardless if you change the details half way through?

If so. For next year, how about the 10 admins do not reveal the usernames/passkeys to the users until 5 minutes before the comp starts? I don't entirely mean changing the usernames, but CustomBitChimps123546 etc...?

Would prevent any priming issues people are going on about. (if it can be done...)

20. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

It's not SR2s unless they're running real slow or catching 2684s. On a normal fast bigadv, an SR2 at 4.2-4.4 GHz completes every 16-17 hours.

I'm by no means certain who our mysterious 24 hour uber chimp is but there have been some clues over the last few pages of the thread.

Edit: Arthur's just dropped another whopper of a clue.