1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Personal experience with Corsair Builder Series CX500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 9 May 2011.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

In the process of downgrading my 680i rig which saw many years of experience with an Enermax Galaxy 850W servicing an overclocked Wolfdale E8500 and dual graphics with a couple of GTX 460 in SLI. Now it hosts a still overclocked Wolfdale but the GPU is now simply a passive cooled 210, this will now be something of a test/service machine as I'm the 'go to' guy these days! Trouble is the Galaxy is a noisy bugger!

All I'm looking for is a quiet PSU and as the CX500 is on offer for £40.79 on the today only page I thought it's worth a look. So any personal experience? I want a perfectly silent 680i rig! :thumb:

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Used one for a rig with a 2500k and 6950 and i couldn't fault them. I don't know why people give them stick sometimes.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I always use the Corsair Builder or Gamer series in builds that I do for friends/guys at work.

Great PSUs for the money and no complaints at all. Good clean power.

4. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Same as Sentinel, I use the CX series for friends builds, but not my own. Mostly because I want maximum stability and good efficiency for my overclock, whereas I don't push overclocks right to the edge with friends builds.

5. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Good to know as I am doing a few small builds, are they still at this price? :)

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

I use CX430 in builds at work.

not had a single one fail yet so no complaints

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's because they won't send out review samples to the usual review websites, leading people into thinking they had something to hide. The originals didn't have 80Plus certification which caused many to immediately cross it off their lists, but the V2 versions of the CX builder series now have the 80Plus certification.

I personally have a CX400 (this one did have 80Plus) in my server - it's extremely quiet and does the job perfectly. Total uptime is about a year non-stop.

8. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Just wonder if that would be fine for a ATI 5770 with intel E4400 dual core 4GB RAM basic sound and wireless PCI cards :)

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Could run two of them systems on it. :)

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Have one of them as well. Great PSU. i would swear by them.

11. Dark Matter

Dark Matter Minimodder

Thanks for that :thumb: