1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide May 2011

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 10 May 2011.

1. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

One thing that I have noticed missing off the (mostly) monthly buyers guide is benchmarks for each setup to give a better overall comparison on performance and suitability and we all know how much you love to spend time in the air conditioned labs ;o)

2. tongey54

tongey54 that's right!

Premium player-
    GTX 580 instead of 590, almost as much performance for the money, better drivers.
    Corsair AX750 worth a look.
    Frio clashes with the board, I'd take a Corsair A70 instead.
    Surely some kind of Blu-Ray player in this build?
    Vertex 3 instead of the C300 but I know you haven't reviewed this yet.
    Rocket card? Why? The on-board SATA III controller is fast enough and you don't have to wait for it to initialize during boot. Plus there's no real drivers out for it.
    Sound card could be a little more high end if your into your audio, like an Essence STX?

3. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Bit-tech's official stance seems to be that multi-GPU isn't worth it so I'm not surprised that they don't recommend CF/SLI capable systems.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Multi-GPU isn't worth it yet they recommend the GTX 590.. It's a curious world we live in :D

5. Just

Just What's a Dremel?

Hi guys can you please also add a monitor section because there are a lot of monitors out there and it is hard to know what to buy... I am going to build a gaming workhorse in a few months and I'm totally lost when it comes to the monitor...

Looking for a monitor about 23" full hd and good at gaming so 2 ms but the rest I'm not sure about that at all... please add the monitor section again guys ty :D

6. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Well considering many games are getting 80%+ performance increase by adding a second card in sli since the 400 series of Nvidia cards its a bit of a no brainer.......spending £135 on a second card to upgrade my system and once overclocked getting near equivalent performance to a gtx 580 priced at £350+

Thats generally what I do with a new build, get a mobo that allows for multi gpu, initially get a mid to high end graphics card with plenty of OC potential that represents value for money and then at a later date when a new generation comes out and prices drop then get a second one....works for me.

7. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

Thanks for this article once again. It's one of my favorite series of articles allthough I don't usually read the text so much. Just excited to see whats new :)

Premium Player: Premium vacuum-cleaner.

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

The "Most" sites statement counts for nothing on "THIS" site.

Again, the 6990 has no place on this elite list.

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

really the C300 is an fast SSD as it is, and i prefer to buy something that's been out for an bit so that the firmware has had all the bugs worked out, why i would not currently get an second gen SF based SSD yet

anything more then an SF first gen or C300 it ant going to be slow (unless your doing Server loads then your would be looking at SLC based SSDs)

10. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

That's your opinion and it's (in my opinion) both immature and wrong. Keep the fanboy vitriol off here please, BT is supposed to be a site for quality discussion by enthusiasts.

If in doubt, see Pete J's well rounded answer.. (keep in mind he has nvidia cards in his machine)

11. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

-snip-

Last edited: 10 May 2011
  12. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

I should be set for a while, shouldn't ?

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.65 GHZ
    Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
    Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1,600MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card: 2xMSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC
    PSU: Corsair AX 850W
    CPU Cooler Corsair H70 Hydro-series with Noctua NF-S12B FLX Fans
    Case: Fractal Design R3 Black Pearl with all Noctua Fans
    Optical drive: Samsung DVD+RW/Blu-ray Reader SH-B123L
    Storage (HDD): Seagate Barracuda XT 2 TB
    Storage (SSD): Waiting for OCZ Vertex 3 to be released in Norway

13. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

"optimised PLX crossfire engine " now there's some marketing lingo right there :p

why? and are you disadvantaged in some physical regard?

14. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

re 590 v 6990, bit-tech are going to go on their own opinions rather than anyone elses, they will use their own reviews and not anyone elses and their own reviews have the 590 slightly ahead of 6990 so its only natural they will recomend it, if you have a problem then dont buy it...simple really.

edit: ive not aimed this at anyone, its a simple explanation for people who still cant grasp why bit-tech have recomended 590 over the 6990

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

+1 and thank you for pointing that out.

Bit's tests, Bit's results, Bit's recommendation. It's one hardware guide based on their reviews, a serious buyer should look around at other sites for their reviews and guides to make sure they've got a well-rounded perspective on all of their options.

A quick look around the hardware section of the forum will quickly show that most builds are variants of the hardware guide and rarely, if ever, follow any build exactly.

16. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

This. The 5850 is considerably faster then a GTX 460 1GB, and even faster then the "mid range" system's 6850. Roughly on par with a 6870 except in heavy tesselation, and all for less money then both.

Kinda makes those recommendations look like crap.

17. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

As we've said before, we cant recommend stuff we haven't reviewed, so that's why some of the stuff you guys have suggested hasn't made it in.

Expect a review of the Crucial M4 and the Vertex 3 very soon though :)

18. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Well, there isn't anything elite about this site.

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

So I assume that you have reviewed the Corsair CX430 Builder Series PSU then? If so, did you review the non-80 Plus version one or the new, 80 Plus certified version 2?

20. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

so you dont agree with bit-tech.....and that means you need to take a swipe at them because.......?
    and besides i dont they or anyone else claimed that bit-tech was elite

Last edited: 11 May 2011
Tags: Add Tags