1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC's Carbide Series is now the Lamptron Vector Series! 12.8.2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 26 Apr 2011.

1. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Page 4 already? :p

:edit: I feel epic winz :p

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

awesome work from across the ditch dude, wish i had access to your CNC!

3. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Good work! We are on page 4 now!

It's awesome, you can have an idea and then produce a prototype of it in the same day :)

[​IMG]
    Update time!

[​IMG]
    I got started on the side panel and I must say, this may just be the most expensive acrylic side panel for a computer, ever.

[​IMG]
    To make it I need an entire 6mm clear and 3mm black sheet, 48 magnets and over 3 hours of fabrication (still going...)

[​IMG]
    When working with a CNC you can make really tight tolerances!

[​IMG]
    These three combined make up the magnet holding mechanism.

[​IMG]
    Like so.

[​IMG]
    And then embedded into the side panel.

[​IMG]
    The side panel has a clear piece and a black piece ontop. The clear window sits flush so it looks completely seamless.

[​IMG]
    The magnetic holder is then attached onto the side panel.

[​IMG]
    And then this part is attached to the case allowing you screwless entry to your internals.

[​IMG]
    This is what it looks like inside the contraption. All the magnets are side by side and provide a huge amount of force to snap the panel into place.

All the magnets are 12cm's minimum from any electronics in the case and these particular magnets hold a gauss of 3000 which means that after 4cm's their magnetic field doesn't affect electronics and after 5.5cm's the magnetic field doesn't exist at all. Magnetic fields drop off exponentially :)

I need to polish the side panel and bond the magnetic holders onto the case. All of this will happen in the next few days so stay tuned! On another note, I am going to be entered into the MOTM competition tomorrow so vote for me if you think the case is deserving enough!

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Really nice Dan, I like it :).

5. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

6. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

diz iz da shiznit !

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Mega Tease, don't wanna blow my load all at once ^^

[​IMG]
    Side panel sitting flush. I wasted a hell of a lot of acrylic to do this, worth it.

[​IMG]
    BAM! Magnet power!

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D You know it's worth it, might be a minimal feature to some but it looks perfectly awesome to me & others :clap::thumb: think I'm hooked on flush fit windows now, yeah it's more difficult but well worth the effort :D.

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

It's the little details that count in the end :p

[​IMG]
    The side panel was quite a work out. The mirror finish on the acrylic is quite nice and its really up to personal preference if you like it over the hairline polish. I will be offering both as options.

[​IMG]
    First pass over with the polish, some bits aren't quite done yet as you can see bottom right of the panel.

[​IMG]
    Side by side and ready for assembly.

[​IMG]
    It's quite a striking finish and in the right light it almost could be mistaken for polished metal.

[​IMG]
    Mr Sheen would be proud. For those of you not in Australia, Mr Sheen is a shine polish, the guy on the can looked like John Howard (former PM, again for those not in oz).

[​IMG]
    Once the panel goes on, this just stops it moving side to side or up and down.

[​IMG]
    Happy at how it has turned out if I must say so :)

[​IMG]
    Whilst it can be overlooked, its a flush panel, one that without a CNC, would have been very difficult to get to fit perfectly. The tolerance I was working with was .1mm give on the window and it fit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bam!

[​IMG]
    I wanted to do a reverse shot to show just how much room is inside the case. I also wanted to take motherboard construction in house so if anyone knows the SR2 form factor please reply to this thread or shoot me a PM. I have looked at formfactors.org and on google but to no avail....

[​IMG]
    Just a reminder, this is being held to the panel with 48 rare earth magnets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Meet your maker!

10. (FIH) The Don

(FIH) The Don What's a Dremel?

11. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Thanks Don,

I do wish more companies were like EKWB who actually give you tech drawings on the spec sheet of their products. I can't seem to find the HPTX form factor holes, thats all I really need. I already have the dimensions of the back IO all ready to go (its on the ATX spec v2.2) but dammit, I need those dimensions.

It would be a shame if I couldnt find them because I have done the calculations and this case can fit that motherboard with plenty of room to spare.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Looking great :thumb: & we've had mr sheen since I was a kid here :hehe:.

13. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

Want one. Plain and simple, I want one.
    Keep it up big man!

14. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

This is the best I've found so far... not technical drawings, but measurements done by actual owners of the board.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=266361

And there is also a sku model that Subtec made for all MoBo form factors... He says it is accurate for dimensions and hole locations.

http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/20 --> You want the first one on the list: Blank Motherboard & PCIe Card Models

15. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

+rep, that was heaps useful! SKP to DXF in autocad and I am flying!

xXSebaSXx likes this.
  16. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

Heh... glad to be of assistance.

This case is getting more epic with each update... I can't wait until this thing is finished; hell I can't wait until I am done with my move so I can start thinking about how to fund one of these babies for myself... :)

Djayness likes this.
  17. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

Looks fantastic... Well done CNC for that spectacular window you cut out, bless that little machine.

Keep up the stunning works!!

18. Torin

Torin What's a Dremel?

Looks awesome.

19. petsli

petsli What's a Dremel?

Wow, thats really amazing work!:jawdrop:

20. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I got three days off from tomorrow, should get a heap done!

Cheers :) http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209232 - MOTM is up and you can vote for me if you so choose. Voting for me would be cool though, I wouldn't mind that at all!