1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Z68

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nutyy, 12 May 2011.

1. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Hey everyone, Z68 is finally out and im considering my first ever build - with a twist.

No previous parts to re-use.

Budget is slightly under £700 so this is why im going for the setup shown in the link below.

Currently i've not got enough money for a graphics card going by this build but i should have enough money to buy one in August.

The PC will eventually be used for Bit-Tech class gaming but since my only gaming experience has been on a PS3 i will use the IGP of the 2500k for the next few months until i've got enough to get a GTX 570, maybe a 560 (depending on cash, also would like to play BF3 at max settings - screen detail below). So by using the IGP i can get a taste of PC gaming and then upgrade to a much better card later on.

I want a PC that is as quiet as possible but also kept to relatively low temperatures, do i need any case fans (like the Typhoon in my build) for the Fractal F3 or will it be able to cope with the proposed hardware going inside it.

Also not sure on power, i was going to get an Antec Truepower New 650W when it was £59.99 on scan but now it is £90. I've now chosen to go with the HX 650W. Is this enough power for a 570 considering i will probably overclock the processor and maybe the graphics card i get.

I have a 1920x1080 23' screen which is the perfect screen size for that res (thanks Goodbytes for the thread on the next Dell Ultrasharp series monitors). However i don't expect to achieve that high a res on Intel HD 3000.

I've omitted a SSD from the build as i've not got enough money but i may get one when i get my graphics card (all depends on how much cash i get).

Also do i need any extras to make this build fully functional and any information on anything else will be appreciated, for example a retail version of windows 7 or extra fan power cables etc.

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.aspx?id=f2508d66409249ceb2cefb8ace1d1436

Edit. If the link doesn't work. i'll just copy them in.

2. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

All looks good to me, and that build will be very quiet - the only thing I would change is the Spinpoint as there pretty noisy when grinding away.

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

A few pointers.

Firstly, you don't seem to be aware of just how bad the integrated GPU is. You will not get a taster of PC gaming with a GPU that underpowered. Your budget gives a lot of scope for a low to mid-range GPU that WILL give you a taste of PC gaming.

Can I ask why you going for Z68 over a standard P67 motherboard?

Are you interested in overclocking at all?

4. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Thanks, i definately don't want a loud HDD. i was looking on scan but i'm not sure what to get. I don't buy into the "Eco / Power saver" Drives and i want a fast HDD (7200 RPM). 1 TB would be ideal for all my storage needs so preference would be a 1tb drive. I'll keep looking on scan but recommendations are very welcome.

5. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Yea i will be overclocking (mentioned in first post) but Z68 offers the integrated GPU and overclocking so that's why i want a Z68. The review for that motherboard come out very equal to the Asus P8P67. I could go with a cheap card but then i wouldn't want to waste it when i upgrade so i would then sell it later on or fold on it

6. Xir

Xir Modder

The average noise of the Spinpoints is supposed to be very low, but you can hear the heads moving in read/write...
    Then again, unless you got to 5400 rpm drives, they don't get much quieter...

7. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

You may want to read todays bit tech write up on z68 boards, you will likely just be wasting your money going for one of these over a p67.

8. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

Yeah just read it. Well i suppose i'll opt for a P8P67 and buy a low end graphics card with the remaining money i have. Thanks for all your help everyone for stopping me make a big mistake.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You can pick up 8800GTs on eBay for £40ish, that will still give way better gaming for you.

Nutyy likes this.
  10. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

trust me there is nothing wrong with the samsung f3, people sometimes find them loud when the wake up, they make quite a loud noise when they spin up in that case just make sure there running all the time, rather than going to sleep every couple of minutes, but other than that and when your doing a virus scan of the drive, there deadly silent, i should know I use them in my main rig and in my server :D also don't worry they are pretty fast as well

Nutyy likes this.
  11. Nutyy

Nutyy Widden Palettes

That's fine i'll get a Spinpoint then

Thanks im not entirely trusting of fleabay, i'll have a look at the Marketplace here to see if there is anything.

Rep given

12. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

This is a good idea nutty, you will still have a decent graphics card which will give way better performance than the z68 intergrated graphics option, you can use the card till you have your money together to upgrade to the better card you are talking about in later months...

Its always useful having a spare 2nd hand card as well for testing/back up if the main gaming one develops a fault etc.

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, I'd definitely get a P67 board and a cheap second hand GPU for the time being off the Marketplace here - there are plenty around.

Quite simply, buy the Bit-Tech gaming workhorse build, but omit the SSD and GPU for now. Pick up a nice SATA3 SSD in the future along with a 560/570. Job done.