1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Videocardshop: Absolute Mess

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Madness_3d, 18 Mar 2011.

1. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

The fact is they are a load of cowboys who are given status and "trustability" by XFX. If this continues I'd consider getting in touch with XFX directly, do you have any friends that work in legal offices? Because one letter on the right letterhead can make all the difference ;)

2. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

So 9 days have passed and I still haven't heard back from them. so today I sent the following

And recieved,

The "higher spec" is just an 280 XT because that's all they have. Besides I'll get no benefit from having it in SLI because it will clock down to the standard speeds... I'm ringing them tommorow. I am sick of this.

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Hopefully anyone who is looking to buy from them on this forum will read this.

Mickey mouse outfit

4. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I would suggest you give them one more detailed email and maybe a "signed for" written letter to there office - asking them to carefully look at all the facts and consider under the SOGA obligations if they really feel you are indeed expecting too much from them - and make it clear that if its not resolved as you have detailed that you will file a claim with the county court and allow a judge to make a decision on the same facts instead however you will not just be asking for the £149 but all other costs including the engineers report, the costs of the postage and the additional costs to file the claim with the county report....and suggest before they reply that they "consider are they likely to win in there favour or is it them that likely to end up costing them more than the £149 you are asking for now prior to any further court action?"

If there response is not favourable then file a claim here http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm

The fees for a money claim "up to £300" is £35...its nothing considering it may get you your results.

So far i think you have been more than accomodating enough to them...time to throw it back with more firmer action.

Just a after thought, its easy to assume that someone like videocardshop is a big company with loads of employees, but it could be a 2/3 man(wo) affair so they are been stubborn because its money out of there personal pockets rather than a large company fund like scan/ebuyer....a friends pc company which supplies office computers to smaller businesses gives the impression on its website its huge..but its ran by him who does the ordering of components/installs etc and a assistant who handles the paperwork/invoice's...

Last edited: 13 May 2011
    kenco_uk likes this.
  5. Madness_3d

That's a brilliant Idea and may well be my next step thank you very much :D and it's hard to tell size wise. The phone's always answered by one guy but I believe they're owned by Propellerhead Services who provide RMA Outsourcing to other companies, so they could be huge!

I phoned them today and the man refused to let me speak to a manager. I outlined the problem to him and he basically said that they don't have to pay my postage "it's a return to base warranty" and that £75 is fair because they only give one year warranties. I told him that XFX give it a 2 year manufacturer warranty so it has to have an expected life of 2 years. He claimed that that is "only to products bought directly from them..." you get the idea.

He said he's going to review the issue over the weekend and I should call them back Monday afternoon. We'll see what happens then, but court does look like the best option. Also submitting a complaint to XFX about them through their support tickets.

Just getting really frustrated now. My girlfriend says take the £75. Is she right? :(

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Its difficult to advise on this, you have to make the decision if you feel you have a case or not under consumer law and you are entitled to more money....no one can predict a outcome, i deal with criminal law not civil law so you might want to seek trading standards advice on the aspects of your claim so far to see if you are indeed correct about things like postage/warranty...basically if you feel that a judge will rule in your favour you could go down the court route....worse case is you lose and are entiled to the orginal £75 on offer less any court costs that the other side may claim for....but its if you believe you are 100% in the right then you should look at more formal options...

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I got a XFX 9800GSO a few years back purely for folding. Had to get a 3rd party cooler to keep the temps down. After that it ran and still runs like a dream.

+1 to EVGA I have a 8800GTS Supper clocked card from then 100% Load folding for 2 years and still runs with out a fault. They come with a 10 year warranty, need I say more?

But as things are going it does not pay to be brand loyal. I mean its seams that the Best/Most stable cards never come from the same brand.

I use a 460 OC from Gigabyte now and it is cold as ice.

At work we have a batch of Palit or MSI 460's and every time they go full load the noise and temps is insane 100c!

Also they have a reproducible issue with Battle-forge (go full load and full fan 100c)

8. jeff1155

jeff1155 What's a Dremel?

I am not a lawyer, so you'll need to check this out yourself, but I believe that while you as an individual can represent yourself at small claims court, a corporate entity cannot and must employ a solicitor to argue their case; that costs them - if the claim is small just the threat/initiation of proceedings could mean it is cheaper for them to settle rather than pay out to defend themselves.

I repeat though - I am not a lawyer, so you'll need to check this out yourself

9. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

A lawyer or the company owner or director which for videocardshop shouldn't be too big a issue..someone like barclays or tescos etc would obviously have a lawyer represent....but a pc component store with one office....may not be too big a ask...but for them to travel from preston to another area of the uk re threat of court action...might be too much for them to bother with and like you suggest settle..

10. Madness_3d

So today I got an email
    So I phoned them as I have been instructed to do and discussed again how I do not feel this is fair. I want a partial refund (not a discount from their other stock) of at least £149.99 which I feel is fair. They basically told me there is no way I am going to get this and that £75 is basically the "trade in" value for the card. After much argument going nowhere they said to address a message to cs@videocardshop.co.uk with Care of Manager attached so that it could be looked at at a higher level.

As soon as I got off the phone I rang Consumer Direct and discussed the situation with them. They basically said to start by writing a letter with a few important phrases and references etc. and to set a date for them to get back to me.

After this I wrote the email to the Manager
    and the plot... thickens... :wallbash:

11. Foiseworth

Foiseworth Newbie

Been reading this on and off and just wanted to say "good luck"!

+ rep for not giving in and fighting for what you're entitled to.

Also, to Videocardshop and XFX, I'll actively avoid your products and services in the future and advise anyone who asks to do the same...

hmmmm, this thread is 5th result if you google 'videocardshop'....:clap:

Last edited: 16 May 2011
  12. Madness_3d

Thanks and as for the googling, I had noticed :hehe:

13. Madness_3d

XFX's response to the situation

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Did you pay by credit card? I had a similar situation with a bed i purchased from the Bed Depot and after lots of letters back and forth between us and numerous calls to consumer direct I was advised to pursue it through the credit card company. IIRC you basically write a letter to the credit card company threatening to take them to court to get your money back. The credit card company then bitch slapped the bed depot and a refund followed very quickly.

15. Madness_3d

Thanks :) yeah I'm still looking into how it was payed for. I thought it was paypal but it seems not...

16. Madness_3d

From the SOGA 1979

Wherever you bought your goods (a shop, market, catalogue, the internet), and even if they are second-hand they should meet three tests. Are they;

of satisfactory quality?
    fit for purpose?
    as described?

If a seller breaks any of these conditions then you:

-Have the right to ask for your money back
    -Do not have to accept a replacement
    -Do not have to accept a credit note
    -If you agree to a repair and it is unsatisfactory, then it will not stop you claiming your money back.

The seller is liable for up to six years after purchase of the goods.

17. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

id contact consumer direct and ask for advice

Then write to the company asking for your money back giving them 7 working days to respond. Send letter recorded as well.

state that if no response is received that you shall have to take the matter to the small claims court

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

im confused, why are you taking credit card company to court?

19. Madness_3d

Becuase they own the goods you bought because you bought it on credit. Technically they supplied you with the goods so they have a responsibility that those goods are of satisfactory quality

Have done and it's already underway :)

20. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

While i kinda see what your saying it is NOT the credit cards company responsibility to ensure the goods are of satisfactory quality.

The contract is between the consumer and the supplier not the supplier and credit card company. If it was you would have almost zero protection because consumer laws DO NOT apply to business to business transactions.

The credit card company is loaning you the money to purchase goods not purchasing the goods on your behalf.