1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics PCI-E x4 - Bad for GPU's?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Treacles, 15 May 2011.

1. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

For the budget gaming build im making the only motherboards i can find under £100 that have 2 PCI-E x16 slots all have the second one limited to x4 speeds, i was wondering wether this would be a large disadvantage in the future if i decide to move to CrossFire?

2. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

Graphics cards in general usually require x8 minimum. Some cards require 16x.

3. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Yeah, dont bother even thinking about xfire on those mate. Tried it myself and its very dissapointing.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Which motherboards are you looking at and to house what processor?

5. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if your looking at a budget gaming PC then dont bother with such premium features. Money can be better spent elsewhere rather than for what if scenarios

theres a reason budget boards or even mid-range ones sometimes dont have those features they assume your only going to be using 1 GPU since your buying a cheaper more modest mobo

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

Interesting read on pci-e scaling here

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@asura: The problem is that if we talk about x16+x4 boards, then the secondary x16@x4 PCI-E connector is usually connected via ICH in case of Intel. That means half-speed lanes, in other words it is at speed of PCI-E 1.1 x4, which equals to PCI-E 2.0 x2 in terms of bandwidth. Plus add the latency of ICH itself.

Crossfire itself is a bad idea to use, but with "crippled" boards it is even worse.

8. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

agree with adam here if your looking at a budget build, just get a good overclocking board, and forget the crossfire stuff, you could always upgrade the board at a later date if you really wanted to do something mad like 2 or 3 way crossfire, but your better of, getting one good card now, sell it when you have the money or the time comes to upgrade and go to a 7000 series ATI card or 600 nvidia cards when they are released.

9. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

The processor is (Will be) an AMD Phenom II 965, And i was basically just looking at every motherboard on Scan that holds AM3 processors

One i've looked at that seems to be okay is this one: Link Just wanted to know your thoughts on the board

The card im likely to get is either a 6870 or a 6950 if i can get the extra funds, both of which im assuming should be fine for quite a while? Can you recommend any good AM3 boards for overclocking that are around the £70 price for the board i mentioned?