1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mass Effect 3 will have gay relationships

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 16 May 2011.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Malvolio more or less summed it up. I was going to write more. I was going to qualify that statement adding that perhaps, if this is what the designers had intended all along, the naming of Shepard probably wasn't a happy accident.

But I didn't write more. I didn't preach, figuring that I could make a more powerful point by omitting an explanation. My guess was that by leaving it ambiguous I would be interpreted as following the zeitgeist of the thread - And that I was the one who had pushed "the joke" too far...

To give those just "having a laugh" with it something to consider.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Simple, just introduce a male version as the Asari and voila - gay sex without being gay!

Personally I was only ever for Liara T'Soni. Still need to get the DLC to complete the romance option in ME2 actually.

3. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Of the few games that actually manage to handle choice of sexual preference well, the Fable series comes to mind. Since the beggining of the series players have been able to choose to settle with the guy or gal of their choosing. Hey, if they didn't fancy settling down then they could just have fun with as many people as you wanted (just remember to wear protection). They're on to three games now, and from what I can tell there hasn't been as much commenting on their sexual preference choices as Mass Effect 3 has had so far.

I would also point out that choosing whether to have sex in Mass Effect regardless of whether it being a man or a woman is quite trivial to the overall game experience. In fable relationships meant gifts and sub stories. You don't see someone in Mass effect offering new armour for a quicky. At least it wasn't In my experience.....

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

It would make grinding for stuff a little more interesting ...

;)

5. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

I suppose it depends who you can get into a relationship with. I was presuming there was an option to romance existing characters (kaiden, garrus maybe?) in which case it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, if it's only with new characters however, that fits fine.

6. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hehe, you know it wouldn't have to stop there. You could have the option of pimping out your crew members for ship parts. Would have made preparing for the collector base way more interesting....

7. schwabman

schwabman What's a Dremel?

LOL what the hell is wrong with the people on this site? That joke was great! Stop being hypersensitive pussies.

To the story, what the hell happened to their claim that being gay didn't fit his personality? I guess that's just one more inconsistency to add to the series. Thank the gay mafia for pressuring Bioware. But I guess it's really Bioware's fault for being spineless.

8. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Now I'm not getting angry here, but just out of curiosity, what is the joke about naming your character after a young boy who died as the result of a hate crime?

I'm fairly doubtful that this is the main reason for Biowares decision to include the possibility of a gay male relationship in the game. I don't know about you, but I don't think I saw the last include a gay shepard rally in the streets.

9. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Either that or your back pedalling because you went too far and looked like an arse and a hater. I guess people will judge for themselves.

10. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Knock yourself out.
    I have previously opined on the topic in my post history.

11. Mr.Juniorer

Mr.Juniorer What's a Dremel?

I think it's awesome that Mass Effect 3 will have gay romances. I find it unfair that the previos 2 games had it but only for female characters. If having the gay romances in Mass Effect 3 is really true, then it would make more people feel welcome. Although I think even though Mass Effect 3 is already an awesome game, I really think the sales would boost higher if it had gay romances. I really find it unfair that there's only gay romances for females.