1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official CPC & Bit-Tech Chimps Challenge 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 2 Feb 2011.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

2. Toga

Toga What's a Dremel?

Hehe! It's not a bad idea :idea:

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Have seen similar setups with guys renting mac minis previously, the wee server ones. Not bad cheap boxes that do ok as a small server setup.

4. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Have now left everyone some +REP for taking part, if I have left you out please let me know, thanks to those of you who left me some rep too, much appreciated :thumb:

dark_avenger and RedFlames like this.
  5. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Yeah, it's been done with renewable energy/environmentally friendly electricity production. There are several massive data centre complexes worldwide which use solar PV and turbines to generate electricity and recycle the warm waste air in heating anything from office buildings to swimming pools to greenhouses. Some companies have even made huge commitments to these actions such as recycling at least 50% of the waste heat that they produce, or striving to produce at least 40% of their annual electricity requirement on-site through renewable methods. We touched on this subject a little whilst I was at uni and I've been interested in it ever since. I would love to implement a green energy plan here at some point. I used to work for a firm who bought out an energy company whilst I was there and within a year of the takeover they had installed a solar PV array on one entire wall of the warehouse and office block, and were doing the same at several large civil engineering projects all over Ireland. Here are some Case Studies from that company.

6. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Cheers for the link uni, was an interesting read. I've seen small towns band together and set up a renewable energy source then sell the electricity back to the town. The money goes to initial set up costs and any profit goes to a committee which then reinvests it in local growth within the town or even another project. It seems a great way a moving to more green energy production (government targets also one step closer) or the personal reason im interested, reducing the rising power bills. I think smaller local projects too are better as a whole as its something to be proud in and leaves you in control of your community rather than waiting for some suit to send hand me downs your way.