1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Pazu, 29 Apr 2011.

1. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Bummer.

Sorry I've not posted any updates because I've been reeling from the blow of not being able to complete this build.

I've made some fatal errors in my drawing and estimation. I thought of just leaving this post to die off but I think it deserves some closure. Here are some of the things I've learn from this build:

1. Always use actual parts for mock up and measurement.
    2. Structural strength comes from structural support, not material toughness.
    3. PC components are heavy, good ones are even heavier!
    4. Never rush to finish off a proper design.
    5. Measure many times, print/make/cut once.

So far, I think the best thing about this build has been the constant feedback and encouragement from the bit-tech community (much like my last build). My grateful thanks.

With that I'll end off with some final pictures. Thanks. And I will be back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

p.s. i'm not sure if you guys still want the PCI-e port drawings... let me know...

Livio likes this.
  2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

That's a shame mate. It's a very pretty case, good luck next time. ;)

3. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Sorry to hear that...
    but I've learned about materials and structural strength hard way my self. That's why I will never use acrylic as structural part again. However some people (Alex, Bill, Bob, Daniel...) may disagree as they successfully use it...

4. nathandanielmorris

nathandanielmorris What's a Dremel?

Such a shame my friend, nevertheless it's a great looking case and hopefully a design you can pick up again in the future, with the necessary improvements, and provide us with a new log.

5. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Can't you try and remake the sides in aluminium or something like that? So that the 3D printed corners wasen't wasted.
    That would take more weight than plexi though you where a little bit unclear on what material was to weak.

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Absolutely gutted that this isn't being continued, great design and nice to see a new fabrication method being used.

I'll be keeping my eye out for stuff from yourself dude.

7. Blooddrunken

Blooddrunken In Flames we Trust

Very nice and clean case and I'm sorry to hear it, too, but I think most modders were once in the same situation with the points you have mentioned, so they can understand your situation.

I'm looking forward for your upcoming projects. Head up and streight forward. :rock:

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Gutted for you mate. I would suggest remaking the mobo tray/support in thicker acrylic and adding somekind of support for the GPU and stuff but i feel that such a massive set back has killed you spirit for the build, which is totally understandable :(

Best of luck with the next project :)

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

To be able to build a case from scratch you need to now the each materials "soft" and bending points regarding its length, height and thickness. For example a piece of aluminum 2mm thick, 50 cm long and 2 cm wide its easier to bend than the same thickness and width but lets say 10cm long piece. And it starts getting "softer" / easier to bend in half its size. So it needs support in a point less than half its size. Same with acrylic and every material. Best material for chassis construction is aluminum though for its properties. Lightweight, easy to work, good elastic properties and strong. Here is a site that you can learn about the strength of materials http://www.engineersedge.com/strength_of_materials.htm.

Studying mechanics of materials will help you a lot. Many people saw me building Sors Salutis with acrylic and they were scratching them heads how I could do that. If someone else try to do the same thing without some knowledge on the materials used, the pressure and bending points, he will fail.

Keep on modding my friend. Modding is fun but also a lot of study and proper preparation!!! :)

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:( Gutted for you, those last pictures looked really nice, I'd be highly tempted to try & put some supports in there though as tastefully as possible I'm sure you could use aluminium flat bar to give it some extra strength, would require a bit of modding though but I expect it would be doable.

11. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Wow. Thanks for the encouragement, guys.:blush:

Thanks. I think my next design will be along the same line.

Actually I will still consider acrylic. It's still the most cost effective material to cut (by machine).

Will do that! Thanks!

I have thought of that but I think a fundamental re-design is better. I'll pick the good things I've learn from this build into the next design so it's not a lost.

Thanks, I'll definitely still be using 3D printed stuff in my future builds.

Cheers man! Thanks!

Actually the mobo support is thicker (the "K" shape part). 3mm vs 2mm for the rest. It's the rest of the frame that's badly in need of better structural design.

Wow, very good advice there. I do know that adding bends would strength parts but unfortunately, that's not part of my manufacturing arsenal for now. I'll definitely explore more on materials next.

Thanks. I'm looking at adding aluminum tubing as supports in my next build actually. I'll see if it works out. :)

:rock:

12. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Where the bloody hell are ya'?

hey pazu, was it the 3d printed parts that were too flexible? I'm concerned about my 3d print build and would like some assistance in this area. I have designed some square tubing 5x5mm 200 long and 1mm walls. Will this item be ridged and strong?

13. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

I really like this design and I would hate to see you give up on it. I think you can save the design with some small changes. The first and, I think easiest change would be to make the mounting plate for the motherboard a structural member by securing it to all four sides of the case—two points on each side. This will reduce the loading on the corners. Also, another easy fix would be to make one side of the case fixed and mounted to all four sides of the case. This will accomplish the same thing as making the motherboard plate fixed. Another thing you could do is place a panel over your fans, secure it to the fans and to the front and rear of the case. This will stiffen the base and reduce the movement of the front and rear. You could then use you power supply as a structural member, once it is in place, by putting a stop in front of if, so it can not move forward and backwards.

The point is, you want to reduce the loading on the corners of the case, because with out somehow joining the sides to each other they will act as moment arms on the corners.

I hope that makes sense…

Your design is good, it just needs some tweaking.

mod on:dremel:

14. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Hey there. Actually the 3D printed corners are fine. They hold up very well. It's the other parts like the acrylic pieces that needs to be completely redone. For your case, I think the square structure should be fine for 1mm walls. Should be plenty rigid. :thumb:

Thanks, it makes sense. In a way, all these is hitting me like a brick wall, in the sense that why didn't I realise this earlier?!? The re-design will have sort of a caged structure, if you can visualise it somehow similar to RC car decking design.

15. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

I forbid you do give up on this project ! :nono:

Might i suggest using some thicker acrylic for the mobo-trav and the fan shroud GCOFIELDD mentions ;)

A HDD/cd-rom cage going from the bottom to the top of the case would also make the case stiffer and more structual sound.

16. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

God Damn it man cant you do anything right?! All you had to do is make a PC case, its not rocket science! You balls that right up! Go on go cry in the corner be ashamed of yourself!

If you havent got it by now i was joking and messing about. I do feel really sorry about the case so much work had gone into it i feel gutted it was looking really good!

17. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

No giving up dude. Rebuilding everything in my mind now. :)

Heh. Thanks man, like I said, I will be back. Cheers!:rock:

18. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Man, this was an amazing build. We all make critical design flaws, but luckily you learn a lot from them. Learning by doing - that will get you far, and i am sure your next build will be amazing! Take the design from this one, and reinforce it! Lots of splendid ideas here, and unique work.

Keep it up mate!