1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Singularity - this game is awesome!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pete J, 21 May 2011.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I picked this up off Steam during the week and I've got to say it's blown me away so far (I haven't completed it yet).

Gameplay is a mixture of Bioshock, FEAR, Bulletstorm and Dead Space 2 and the level design is phenomenal. The time effects and puzzles are well thought out: boss battles (of which I've fought two so far) are bloody epic. The weapons have a nice feel but one stands out in particular, the Seeker Rifle: a sniper rifle with guided EXPLOSIVE bullets. No longer do you put a hole in someone's head - you obliterate it while they're hiding behind cover. Time-based attacks are a sight to behold as well: trap an enemy in a time slowing field, then pump five shotgun blasts at his head and wait for the time field to collapse...

The only slight critique is that the game may be too easy, but on the other hand it's just right for some mindless killing without the frustration of dying every other minute.

If the game continues the way it's going, I think I'd award it high 80's, perhaps even 90%. If you missed out on the Steam sale, DO NOT miss out next time!

Thanks goes out to gilljoy and GravitySmacked for recommending the game!

2. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Me too.

I think it's bloody brilliant.

There are so many ways you can kill your opponents - both human and mutant, and the time-shift factor is an excellent feature.

£6.80 well and truly spent in the right place!

PS - how far are you along Pete - I'm just finishing off the cargo ship level?

3. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Read up on it a while back...

The ending's rather good ;) in fact it's pretty epic if you understand temporal mechanics.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I finished it in about 6 hours. But i cannot complain, for 10€ it was good enough.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I think I've just started that level.

6. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

yes its a fantastic game, highly overlooked and underrated. in my opinion in the top 5 of 2010.

7. Canon

Canon Reformed

Here's why I wont even give this game a second glance (not that it got a first glance either).

[​IMG]

8. faugusztin

So you have a game with a good story, but you will not play it because the imaginary guns don't have the ironsight right.

9. Canon

Canon Reformed

That's not an iron sight.

But if that was the case, yes, I would agree with what you said, I wouldn't play it. Call it what you will.

10. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

what are you talking about? it's a multi reticle reflex sight, which is EXACTLY how it's supposed to be (well close enough for a video game). its a common sight on soviet firearms that were used by infantry.
    if anything they should get props for having attention to detail and authenticity for using models of correct soviet equipment relevant to the game setting.

Last edited: 21 May 2011
  11. Canon

Canon Reformed

Is it EXACTLY how it's supposed to be? Here's a clue. Orientation. Common on soviet weapons? wut?

How many you see on a Tokarev? eh? Perhaps you are thinking of a Kobra, this is not such. And how many first kalashnikovs (at that end of the Soviet era) do you see issued to infantry with piccatinny(spelling?) rails as standard? Highly unlikely.

12. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Oh dear Lord.

It's not a Kalashnikov.

It's a made-up weapon set in an alternate reality.

This is a science fiction-themed FPS game, not a mil sim.

And actually, the foresight (one half of a set of iron sights) is still on the weapon - although iron sights cannot be used in conjunction with a holographic/red dot sight.

If you want to be pedantic, the set-up in the game is quite correct in this respect, although some foresight blades can fold forward or backward when not in use.

The rearsight can either do the same, or be removed from the weapon.

13. Canon

Canon Reformed

Who said it was a Kalashnikov?

14. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

Your post above mine maybe?

Or was it a Tokarev - I forget.

Anyway, I'm very sorry you didn't get the side-mounted sighting system you were after.

15. Canon

Canon Reformed

No no, back it up and read the post you are referring to here. I didn't claim that either featured in the game, after all how would I know?

I'm not after a 'side mounted sighting system'. I hope you have actually realised what had annoyed me about the picture I posted, I daresay most have.

16. Wira

Wira Spoderman

what?

the lack of the red dot?

17. IronDoc

IronDoc What's a Dremel?

Has anyone? Would it kill you to be explicit?

18. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I believe (and only from his inference) that it's mounted the wrong way round (i.e. backwards).

And TBH i'm not that much of a gun nut to notice... nor to care really.

Canon likes this.
  19. Canon

Canon Reformed

lol + rep

20. faugusztin

No one except you knows what is your actual problem with a game.

Edit: If that is your only problem, then i would like to have your problems. This is an alternate reality game, in alternate Russia they mount it that way. :D

By the way, anyone knows what those things, which sometimes shoot out the walls, making lines across the room, which then hurt you if you touch them?

SuperHans123 likes this.