1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Crysis 2, worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by GregTheRotter, 20 May 2011.

1. pooley

pooley What's a Dremel?

I thought of getting Crysis 2 in the play sale but I'll wait until it's less than a fiver on steam as I don't seem to be missing much.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the correct analogy is opening a jar of caviar and finding beans inside. if i expect beans then I'm happy with beans but if the label says caviar then it ****ing damn well better be caviar inside.

earlydoors likes this.
  3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Where did you find it for £13? Its £19.49 on Play.com at the moment...

4. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

This is a great quote

5. Tom30

Tom30 What's a Dremel?

It was on play.com at £13 this morning but it looks like that offer has now ended, though the normal version is now £15 on amazon.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

That is another way of looking at things!
    I think it's still worth £15. *runs away from inevitable flaming*

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Yeah compared to many games out now it's worth £15 for sure.

8. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

9. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

Beans on toast is actually yummy yummy yum yum. I've had caviar, I've had oysters, they're both minging :lol:

10. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

12. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Warrior 24_7
    you would think he would at least change.

13. nécrotic

nécrotic What's a Dremel?

Unless you really enjoyed the first one i wouldn't recommend the second installment. It's got nice flashy graphics but I thought the game play was repetitive and not very innovative. Much like the first with more aliens.

14. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

I've got Crysis 2 but it's one of those games I just haven't got round to playing yet, due to having loads of games I still haven't got round to playing yet!

I wasn't too keen on the alien fighting in the 1st game BUT I didn't mind it! So I'm sure I'll enjoy Crysis 2 as much I did the 1st one. But I've got Duke Nukem Forever coming soon which I've been waiting for since 1999............!!!!!!!! So I think Crysis 2 might well stay on the back burner for some time to come!

15. NigelT

NigelT What's a Dremel?

I've only ever tried the demo of Crysis. Which version is the pick of the bunch?

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I'd pick up the Crysis Maximum Edition that has both Crysis and Crysis Warhead.

17. aNuclearPidgeon

aNuclearPidgeon Minimodder

Dont forget Crysis Wars

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Well, I finished this today and wanted to share my thoughts. There will probably be spoilers, so this is your warning.

First off, the story is pretty weak, and seems to cast aside most of what happened in the first game in order to use some new ideas. Unfortunately it still references the first game quite a bit throughout the game, which means a lot of it doesn't make sense to anyone who has played that game. This was quite a surprise to me, since I remember that Crytek were making a lot of noises about hiring some high-profile writer to do the story I expected this to be one of the better points of the game. Instead I felt it was a pretty drawn out, meandering affair. There was no real overarching goal you were trying to achieve throughout the game, you simply moved from one objective to another depending on what the person in the top-left of your screen ordered you to do. Then, when you get to the objective, things invariably go pear-shaped and you end up almost dying, though not before a brief cutscene with a few quick time events. Oh God don't get me started on the quick time events.

The transitions from one stage in the game to another are also poorly handled in my opinion. Crytek seemed too hung up on having you fight one kind of baddie at the start of the game (humans) then another later on (aliens), and less focused on making sure it all melds together seamlessly. It didn't really make sense to me how I was getting shot by humans at the start in the form of PMC troops, with no regular army grunts to be seen, then towards the end the army dudes suddenly appear to help but the PMC troops are nowhere to be seen (apart from that level on the island). It also seems like there's huge gaps between each level, so I was often left wondering "How the hell did I get here from where I was."

The AI was another thing that was touted as being much improved in this game, and to me it seems just as stupid as it ever was. Regardless of whether it was human or alien, they would often just walk into walls instead of walk around them, or get stuck in the most silly of places. The difficulty seemed a little off too. Crysis 1 had the difficulty right as far as I was concerned, I never felt it was too difficult or too easy. I played with Crysis 2 on Veteran, and there were some truly frustrating moments. The only difficult parts were ones where the enemies would completely drain your suit of energy at random times, where they would shoot you through walls that they shouldn't be able to see through, or, most annoyingly of all, they would see you and shoot at you even when you were cloaked, making the act of sneaking up on an enemy undetected a game of chance more than anything else. This seems like a very cheap and artificial way of increasing the difficulty to me. These things are made all the more frustrating by the lack of a quicksave system as well, especially as the checkpoints can be very far apart. I would often make it through a challenging area by carefully picking off enemies, and just before making it to the checkpoint something stupid would happen like me falling off a building, getting stuck in some scenery, or having a QTE going wrong because I though it was just a cutscene and didn't see the prompt in time, or at all (thanks for that Crytek :miffed:), and I would have to repeat the process all over again. This happened so often in the later parts of the game that I ended up just stealthing through most of it without killing anyone. There is no reason for them not to include this feature, especially when it was included in the leaked beta version.

I'm also not happy with the way they handled the new suit and upgradable modules. To begin with the suit seems quite underpowered, especially now that sprint drains energy in all suit modes which means you're often left trying to waddle out of gunfights at an infuriatingly slow pace. The substantial pause before becoming fully cloaked is also extremely annoying - if you're used to the way the suit handles in Crysis 1 then you'll often find yourself waking out into gunfights with your trousers down. However, as the game progresses, some of the upgrades you get make the game so easy even on the harder difficulty levels (I'm thinking of the nano regen/mobility enhance/stealth enhance combo here). I also miss the speed mode and holding down the space bar to power jump can be a hit-or-miss experience.

Although I've raised a load of negative points here, I don't think the game is all that bad. It can be fun at times, but I found it far more frustrating to play than the first game. In Crysis 1 I would get frustrated at myself for not being able to do something well, getting sloppy or ****ing up while infiltrating a base, whereas in Crysis 2 I get frustrated at the game itself - what it doesn't allow me to do, its clunky controls and mechanics, and how it treats me like an imbecile by highlighting the different ways to approach a particular area even though it's already incredibly linear.

If Crysis 1 can be likened to that rare breed of a good B-movie, then I would compare Crysis 2 to a very, very bad B-movie.

Last edited: 28 May 2011
  19. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

I enjoyed Crysis 2. It is a blast to play through on single player, the graphics are great and for the length of time it takes you to complete the single player campaign you will be entertained. Never had a single technical issue playing the game either.

I brought it in the EADM sale for £17.00 and I felt like I had got my moneys worth.

It has copped a lot of flack because Crysis fans are disappointed that this did not push the boundaries like the last one did.

Taken on its own merits its a good game. If you can pick it up cheap then definitely try it out. Do not pay full price for it though.

BTW there is definitely going to be a direct x 11 patch. A new patch with proper graphics options is already slated for release some time soon.

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's crap.. graphics aren't bad but it's console face