1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

From my amazon BF3 preorder:

"Estimated arrival date: November 07 2011 - November 09 2011"

2. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

BF:BC2 is the first Battlefield game I've played :worried:

Have to say, I'm quite excited about the prospect of BF3

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

BC2 is also the first Battlefield game I've really gotten into, 230 hours and counting. Fantastic game, and love the PC gamer focus for BC3. Day one buy for me.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Same. And I never ever buy games on release...

5. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

I've preordered this and I never preorder. Don't you dissappoint me BF3!

6. ZxH800

ZxH800 What's a Dremel?

Battlefield 2 was the one for me. Legendary game.

7. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

I'm waiting for steam to offer it before I pull the trigger...

8. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Same here, BC2 is my first "battlefield" game. From some of my clan members BC2 sucks compared to BF2 so needless to say I'm super excited for BF3

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Not pre-ordering until it's on Steam, and even then I'm not sure. The game is a must buy, but it's just so scary seeing what they might to do mess it all up and make Bad Company 3.

10. jasonst888

jasonst888 What's a Dremel?

It looks incredible, I wonder how demanding it's going to be...it's going to be restricted by consoles....I just hope they give this game the PC focus it needs, to make it good especially with the recent Crysis 2 console to pc port example!

Also hope they stay strong and resist the temptation to make it to noob friendly so they can compete with COD games!

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh, just a quick thought. Please tell me BF3 won't have tracer darts. That's the most ridiculous ****ing bullcrap i've ever seen in a multiplayer videogame.

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I highly doubt they will have tracer darts, but will have lock-on AA and AAA as well as guidable rockets like in BF2.

Seriously, I don't care about anything any more since I know for definite that there will be minigun-armed MH-6 and the DAO-12. The game is perfect as far as I am concerned now. :D

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

For those of you that only started playing on Bad Company 2, be prepared for a much more epic game on a larger scale :)

Think of Bad Company 2 as a 'light' version of a true battlefield game, and you will get an idea for what actual BF is like.

So many hours spent on 64 player BF2 maps, quad bikes, choppers, tanks big maps.... epic.

14. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Totally agree. The entire feel of Battlefield games is different from Bad Company games, even though the two share very similar game mechanics.

-64 players, twice as large and with maps equally large to compensate.
    -Commanders! This entire aspect is missing in Bad Company. It adds a level of overall strategy to the game and helps teams coordinate on some level through the use of orders. The commander also helps to shape the battle with various tools at his disposal, I forget exactly what BF2 had but BF2142 could move the Titan (if applicable), use a sat scan to temporarily mark each enemy unit on the commander's screen (which could then be spotted for all to see), a UAV to spot an area for a duration, a resupply box to drop on squads, and an orbital strike to bombard groups of enemies or help disable vehicles. He could also zoom in top down on the map anywhere and see any enemies running around, which could then be spotted. Needless to say the commander's huge spotting power was a massive help to the team and well placed orbital strikes could stop assaults on control points, or soften defenses.
    -Squads that weren't just a way to spawn closer to the battle. They could fit six players, had a leader who could give orders, and only the leader could be spawned on. The leader could also recieve orders from the commander. It became far more important to stick together as a squad and make sure the leader stayed alive.
    -The com rose. Sad to see this one go in BC2, being able to give decent voice commands was excellent. BC2 gives little indicators when people can use things like health an ammo but it's not as obvious, a quick voice command is an easy way to get people's attention. It also let you say thanks, or ask for rides.
    -Magazine style reload. Already went over this and it's not exactly Battlefield specific but it just doesn't seem right without this, retaining ammo is too twitchy constant reload deathmatch style shooter-ish.
    -No hardcore mode. I love this mode in BC2 but it's not right for a Battlefield game. It makes the firefights longer and adds more team aspects. Spotting is at its full potential with full map and 3D map, health kits get used more since people dont die instantly, and the extra ammo strain means more ammo kits are needed.
    -A real need for vehicles. This will likely be part of 64 player games anyway, but it needs to be pointed out. Simply getting around the battlefield is a major part of the game, some maps may favor infantry but with the big 64 player maps expect walking from control point to control point to be a terrible experience. It makes the game more tactical rather than being "spawn, run in, shoot, win battle Y/N? Y: take point and move on. N: repeat". It also makes transport vehicles useful, which I love. Flying an air transport with six passengers in 2142 was one of my favorite things.

All of those things I hope to see present in BF3.

15. Kanester

Kanester Quake God.

Yeah BF2 Was brilliant, I also liked BF 2142. Hope to build my new system before i Pre order! (Little bit of wee come out)
    :D

16. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I never played BF2, but I played BF2142 and it was pretty good; I preferred it to BC2. 16 per side on BC2 does feel fairly small at times, especially if a few people per side are AWOL.

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I revisited to 2142 last month and i have to admit the commo rose screwed me over.

I still love the fact that i can easily say Thanks, call a Medic or a ride.

What really screwed me however was spotting units. Got used to just hitting Q, so i kept on bringing up the commo rose and spotting nothing :(.

18. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I quite liked the commo rose - being able to say thanks and more specific things is better than BC2's catch-all system. But yep, spotting is annoying in 2142 - especially when you get someone 'spotting' fake things (e.g. a tank where there is no tank).

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

LOL, Middle of the city in Karkand "Enemy Boat Spotted" :D

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It certainly could get abused but the advantages are still worth it in my mind. Plently of times where you know something's around but you can't actually see it to spot it. With something like a tank it can really save lives to send out a warning spot in the general direction, at least get people nearby to look check for themselves where it is exactly.

The only real complaint I had, since it didn't have any legitimate purpose, was the obnoxious "Enemy Titan Spotted!". Why, DICE, why? You had to know it would only ever be used by people trying to be funny, it's not like Titans are hard to find, your 3D map always shows them.